Insect migrations.

Started by NoQ, March 11, 2019, 11:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoQ

I just tamed a megaspider during a migration event. Is it an intended possibility or did mods i use mess something up or is it a bug (no pun intended)?

Kirby23590

Considering that Megaspiders aren't found in the wilds and aren't supposed to be tamed outside of custom scenarios or with devmode...

So yes... It's a mod thing or a weird bug...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Limdood

megaspiders (and other insects) can show up now with migration events.

I'd also heard previous reports of getting an auto-tame on insects when rescuing a downed one after an infestation (there's a chance to tame and bond on treating a wild animal's wound).

OP was probably incredibly lucky to get the tame to happen, but i don't think its a bug.

Dargaron

Quote from: Kirby23590 on March 12, 2019, 02:53:34 AM
Considering that Megaspiders aren't found in the wilds and aren't supposed to be tamed outside of custom scenarios or with devmode...

So yes... It's a mod thing or a weird bug...

Not a mod thing: insects that are spawned in Cave Biomes or by infestations seem to be part of a "faction," which overrides the "tame/hunt" options that animals usually have (the same way that muffalos which are "owned" by a caravan can't be hunted/tamed). Insects spawned by Migration events are not part of any faction, and thus are huntable/tamable. IIRC, I reported this back during the testing for Beta 19, and it wasn't considered a bug.

Enjoy this image of a tamable Megaspider. Unfortunately, I couldn't actually tame any before they left the map (sadface).

kclace

What non sense. Everyone on the rim knows the only good bug is a dead bug!

Kirby23590

@Dargaron
Yea, i know about the Insects and hives about the caves in mountains or in large hills, i have encounter them many times when settling in mountain in the vanilla game.

I'm mostly talking the Migration event that only appears in cold biomes or in sea ices, so it's very interesting that's not a bug and somehow intentional and didn't know that since i never did sea ice challenges...

So that's one way to get insect meat in those sea ice challenges... :P

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

N0xiety

It is possible to tame a whole colony of bugs if you want, with effort. You know how i discovered this? Ok here goes. So a while back a bug colony spawned in the mountain. They grew at summer and normally wouldn't have any problems in winter as the temps didn't go too cold, but a volcanic winter happened that winter. It got so cold, all the bugs got into hybernation, then one by one their hives deteriorated because of the lack of management. When the hives were gone, i noticed something after some time. They were no longer in a faction. The bugs were factionless! I got there and set up a camp where i separated the bugs from each other, then started heating individual rooms. As the bugs woke up, i could tame them, albeit it was very hard. The tame chance is very low for megaspiders, but finally i did manage to tame about 10 of em. They don't reproduce tho, so what you have is what you got...

So basically, if you can destroy their hives without actually making direct enemies of them, they will be up for taming. I think this can also work if you destroy their hives and save the injured ones. I will try that next. If it won't work, i will create a bug freezer where i can put the injured ones and freeze them, to be later woken up one by one in secured rooms to be tamed.