Ty can we get a picture explanation of Biomes + Creatures?

Started by Ramsis, July 17, 2014, 02:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramsis

You're working your ass off in a way that most of us from the modding side of things have extinguishers ready in case of fire and while I know this is more annoying than anything you're one of the few devs that has been willing to explain things out in detail on big game decisions.

My request is if you'd be willing to take the half hour or so to take some pictures or show us in some way the new biome system you've been working on and if you have some spare time to show us the new fauna we're reading up on. You were nice enough to explain that the Iguana is just a more hardy squirrel and something tells me the Deer is a faster and less hardy Muffalo but I'd like to pick your brain a bit further on the future of animal life on the Rimworlds we currently inhabit.

Worst comes to worse you give me a big ol' steaming "nope" and we all collectively sigh until an update video comes out, but again it's always worth asking.

Edit: HOLY SHIT TY I PEACEFULLY DEMAND A PICTURE OF THE MEGASCARAB.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Tynan

Nope!

But seriously, they're just simple animals to start filling out the new biomes. No new code or exotic features. I keep it simple to start with.

Megascarab (edit: I'll probably make a different side view graphic)
http://puu.sh/afSzm/661762bd27.jpg

As for the future, as usual there are no hard plans. I'll take the best opportunity I see at any given time.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Garen

why do i have a bad feeling there's going to be a megascarab attack

i can imagine it now, one of my colonists hauling steel, suddenly this happens, followed by a powercut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSkC2Pjj-pE

Ramsis

Quote from: Tynan on July 17, 2014, 06:06:24 PM
Nope!

But seriously, they're just simple animals to start filling out the new biomes. No new code or exotic features. I keep it simple to start with.

As for the future, as usual there are no hard plans. I'll take the best opportunity I see at any given time.

The scarabs should be Muffalo sized at least! Especially with a name like "mega" scarab.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Evul

Quote from: Ramsis on July 17, 2014, 07:51:44 PM
Quote from: Tynan on July 17, 2014, 06:06:24 PM
Nope!

The scarabs should be Muffalo sized at least! Especially with a name like "mega" scarab.

It's probably from how much they eat :P

Tynan

Well, real scarabs are the size of a pack or cards or smaller, and these are the size of a football, so I think they're still mega... this isn't a 50's horror movie :P

Ramsis

Quote from: Tynan on July 17, 2014, 08:52:30 PM
Well, real scarabs are the size of a pack or cards or smaller, and these are the size of a football, so I think they're still mega... this isn't a 50's horror movie :P

Nonsense!

- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

StorymasterQ

Of course not. Just a Stargate SG-1 episode.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Cyclops

Quote from: StorymasterQ on July 17, 2014, 09:22:31 PM

Of course not. Just a Stargate SG-1 episode.

Or the carnivorous scarabs from "The Mummy".

Personally, I thought Tynan was going to turn the mechanoid centipedes into grubs, and have these beetles as the creatures the grubs gestate into. It'd be really cool to see grubs form protective cocoons right after they land and come out as an even stronger being.

But, if that's not going to happen, can we have a "Beetle Launcher"? I mean, come on. The football-sized beetles were made for this. Or maybe just use them as Mortar ammunition. The enemy won't be laughing when they realize we're throwing giant beetles at them instead of the usual rounds.

Ender

Quote from: Cyclops on July 18, 2014, 12:04:47 AM

But, if that's not going to happen, can we have a "Beetle Launcher"? I mean, come on. The football-sized beetles were made for this. Or maybe just use them as Mortar ammunition. The enemy won't be laughing when they realize we're throwing giant beetles at them instead of the usual rounds.

lol nearly spit my drink all over my screen at that one
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Piata

Tynan

Ender

Quote from: Tynan on July 18, 2014, 01:19:30 PM
Quote from: Piata on July 18, 2014, 12:54:04 PM
More importantly, can we eat the scarabs?

Of course!

oohhh delicious! a bit crunchy, but hey, gotta have some variety in my colonists meals.
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Bendingunit3000

I was kind of hoping for something like the lobstrocities from the Dark Tower series. Daddachum? Diddachuk? Eat your hand?