raid balance

Started by arjuna666, March 16, 2019, 05:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arjuna666

I've been playing on this base for a while and the raids are starting to slowly get more difficult as my base grows, makes sense. then I get a raid with 4 doomsday and 3 triple rockets with about 15 guys. before i was getting around 12 guys all with good guns and i could deal with that. i reload to the start of the raid about 20 times trying to survive the raid but i just cant manage it, so i give up and load to an auto save about a day earlier. when the negative event comes up again its 5 sythers. ONLY 5 SYTHERS. that is defiantly anywhere close to the raid that wiped out my whole colony in 5 seconds flat. was this a glitch? or what?

Canute

Hi,
in an open firefight these rocket launcher will anhilate you for sure.
But since these launcher got not the largest range, you should be able to snipe them before they come in range.
A few mellee with shield belts at some cover should draw the fire from the other raiders, so you got time to snipe them.
Another tactik is not to seek an open firefire and try to ambush them, wait behind corners out of sight, then jump out and fire a volley to kill or at last badly damage one of them and then hide again.
Works well with mellee pawns too.

But the other question, is that a vanilla gameplay or do you got some mods, normaly you don't get these many of rocketlaunchers (7 +15 are round 1/3 of the raid) sure it could happen on a very very bad rolling.

Kirby23590

@Canute
Well arjuna666 has gotten those raids from vanilla most likely...

He said Doomsday and Triple Rockets, which are from the core game... And them Scythers Mechanoids poppin' out...

Mostly likely he got the Pirate Raid with Happy New Year Rocket Launchers and Party Grenades, Joking aside i'm not a fan of a dozen of guys or raiders tryin' to blow my Colony back to the stone age, which why i save those psychic artifacts that i bought from some exotic merchants or from those ancient ruins for those type of raiders or even blow them to pieces by my mortars...

Also arjuna666 i got a few tips for your scyther problem...

Three Words, Use EMP Grenades.

EMP Nades or IEDs and Mortar EMPs are good and Handy Anti-Mechanoid Tools, if you have them... They don't kill those mechanoids, but they do stun then with an large area of effect... :D

A group of Scythers can easily get stunned by a single or two EMP Grenades, by throwing in some Trained Dogs or Attack Animals or a Colonist that you don't really like and throw him or her to a group of scythers... And with a well placed EMP-Nade, you could get most of them or even all of them...

Make sure your guys shot most of the scythers in the legs to reduce their running speed, trust me this how you with those melee types...

Also some distraction like Wooden or Stone Stools and Furniture outside your colony can confuse those scythers before they come in...
And those Metal or Stone spike traps can really help by wounding their legs as well...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Canute

Kirby,
there are other mod that change faction or raid behavior.
Or just some mod that add new non-combat stuff with an accidental incredible high market value.
So i asked about that.

And then you suggest to shoot at the legs, which i think isn't a vanilla feature too :-)

Kirby23590

Well it's by chance of course...

I prefer blasting them with frags for max efficiency, since the game's RNG says where your shot target in what limbs... Like say the fingers or in the ear... :P

That's why Frag Grenades or Explosives are better at hitting multiple limbs with a single or at least automatic ranged weapons could hit diffrent body parts...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Limdood

To answer the OP's question:

No, that wasn't a glitch.

You have a colony wealth amount that largely determines how the game assigns "points" for a raid. 

It is quite possible that many of the raiders that came with the rocket launcher dudes had poor weapons or other gear making them not "cost" as much.  Additionally, rocket launchers are considered on par with other mid-high end guns like assault rifles and snipers, so if you were already getting raids with well armed raiders, then the rocket launchers were consistent.

Mechanoids tend to cost a LOT of points in raid composition.  They are always perfectly geared for their role (fast melee, fast sniper, or tanky assault) and often take a lot of punishment, so you'll generally always get less mechanoids than you'd get raiders.  It's also entirely possible that the game was randomly generating raids in a certain range (say, arbitrary numbers here, that your wealth would net you a raid of 200, so the game spawns 160-240...the first raid could have been at the upper end, and the mech raid at the lower end).

If you're looking to remove rocket launchers, there are some non-intrusive mods out there that remove the rocket launchers....they don't do anything else or mess up the game in any way....they just remove rocket launchers from the game, and so they never show up on raiders or merchant inventories.

If you're looking for ways to defeat rocket launcher wielders, they are numerous, often involving sniping or luring them into tight corridors and jumping them with melee, but they also have little to no margin of error.  If you fail to take them down with snipers, they could get a shot off.  If you try to melee ambush them and the game decides to shunt them backwards out of the door and you're hitting a different, stacked up raider, they could get a shot off as well...so, possible, but riskier than most other combat in the game.