[Mod Request] Dungeons

Started by Preechr, March 21, 2019, 05:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Preechr

An incident similar to requested raid on an enemy outpost, but a full dungeon with minions and a boss to defeat. Could even add in a faction with a story line. Instead of raiding a barely functional base with weak enemies, it would be fun to have a giant maze full of monsters and bad guys.

avilmask

Problem with that is you actually have to make a dungeon generator.
With what we have, it may just end the same as any normal factional city raid.

Preechr

Seems like some of the mountain bases that generate now have hallways and rooms that are hidden until discovered... Think it would be possible to just have the game generate more rooms and hallways with bad guys patrolling inside? Would be a good starting place I guess.

Not sure how robust enemy base generation is, but seems like some modders have been playing with it.

JesseJamesZ9

So making a dungeon generation tool isn't too difficult. They already exist in many forms to serve tabletop games like Dungeons & Dragons. Adapting the code wouldn't be easy but it's do-able.
The bigger hurdles as I see them are these:
1. Randomly generated mazes aren't very difficult from a top down view.
2. The enemy AI would converge on your explorers in the first room making the rest of the dungeon empty.
3. Adding many new enemies/traps/bosses. The only way to keep this interesting is if there are random elements added to each section that you couldn't predict. So adding a selection of monsters or traps that players wouldn't see elsewhere.

All of this together is quite a lot to implement and as I mentioned without some effective AI changes (harder to implement) it wouldn't a very exciting mod as an end result.