[Request] Less Mental Decay!

Started by ianfkyeah, July 17, 2014, 09:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianfkyeah

If someone could please explain to me/create a mod or what file I need to edit in order to not have Colonists go mentally unstable every time they see a damn dead body (Oh because it's so damn surprising seeing a dead body after you've just killed someone.)

And just generally balance the mental state of Colonists a bit better, this literally for me is ruining the game. I don't mind it if I'm genuinely doing badly, my place is a tip and there's dead bodies everywhere, no carpet or stone floor but when I've done all this and then I'm getting it constantly, it's so irritating.

Someone please help me out :)

ApexPredator

Research then build a cremation oven, problems solved.

Labroske

During my more morbid moments I have dug out large tombs in the mountains into which I place corpses and useless prisoners - you could try the same. Another option is to dig some graves, or do as the helpful person above has suggested and research the cremation over.

WayKay55

Quote from: Labroske on July 17, 2014, 10:31:03 PM
During my more morbid moments I have dug out large tombs in the mountains into which I place corpses and useless prisoners - you could try the same. Another option is to dig some graves, or do as the helpful person above has suggested and research the cremation over.
i do this but add molotave cocktails to the list

ianfkyeah

Quote from: ApexPredator on July 17, 2014, 10:24:09 PM

Thanks, but no, the bodies take time to burn up and I've had it where a wave of 30 bandits have died, cremating isn't time efficient. They still turn mentally unstable. If I wanted to use a cremation oven, I would. But I'm not requesting that am I.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I would really like to acquire what I requested, either the knowledge of how to edit the files or a mod from someone would be fantastic.

BallinDragon

Found it for you. http://prntscr.com/440m5x . Go to the folder in the picture. Open BaseConditionsThought with notepad and find unburied colonist column.
<baseMoodEffect>-10</baseMoodEffect>  . Change the 10 to w/e you want. That's how much penalty to their mood they'll get when they see an unburied body. I haven't tested this yet so I don't know if it works for enemy bodies too. My guess is that it doesn't, but you never know.
EDIT : to remove the penalty for seeing enemy corpses you have to do this:
Open basememorythoughts with notepad like you opened BaseConditionsThoughts before. It's in the same folder.
Scroll down to   <defName>ObservedLayingCorpse</defName>  . http://prntscr.com/440q5u    Change these numbers to w/e you want. The description makes it obvious what will changing each number do.

ApexPredator

Quote from: ianfkyeah on July 18, 2014, 01:46:20 AM
Quote from: ApexPredator on July 17, 2014, 10:24:09 PM

Thanks, but no, the bodies take time to burn up and I've had it where a wave of 30 bandits have died, cremating isn't time efficient. They still turn mentally unstable. If I wanted to use a cremation oven, I would. But I'm not requesting that am I.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I would really like to acquire what I requested, either the knowledge of how to edit the files or a mod from someone would be fantastic.

Mod the game if you wish but managing positive colony effects on your personnel is a big part of the game. I have had 60+ raider deaths in a few of my latest raids without a mental break. Some things you could try, keep your base clean, don't share bedrooms, make said bedrooms at least 6x6, have someone cooking fine meals (if your getting raids that large you should have this capability), set up a dumping stockpile away from your main colony and have it only hold human bodies, put oven close to it and whoever has the skill to burn them will when they have time and the majority of your people will never see the bodies. When you get to the 40-50+ raids add another oven.

arigon2001

I have recently experienced some interesting break downs, or really close to them when my colonists are defending the base. 60-100 man raids and while we are defending and killing many, my colonists are getting hit with pretty large negative impacts "witnessing deaths x (insert number here)" and "observing corpse x (insert number here)" all while fighting to survive from being over-ran?  This can take away from some game play fun / element IMO. Simply put, they are there to survive, live in an advanced world we live in today and again IMO should be a bit more "able" to witness death and bodies while fighting instead of trying to force them to huddle together and "talk it out" while waiting for them to be hungry and tired enough to go eat / go to bed hoping they don't have a mental break down during / after the fight. When you get to 20-30+ colonists it really starts to get to be a chore "micro-managing" each defender since you can't force them eat/sleep to pull them out of a fight, let alone see how quickly the negative numbers hit them in a fight. Again all my opinions however I've logged a great deal of hours in this game now and feel pretty seasoned with many pro's / con's so... there's my take on this for the moment. Cheers!

bobucles

Fighting long distance is a HUGE help against the mental stresses of battle. Your guys see fewer corpses and suffer fewer injuries, both of which are super effective for keeping them sane.

It would be nice to have more ways to prevent psychological damage. This would likely fall under the social and artistic jobs, the latter of which isn't implemented yet. Not everything has to be a positive morale bonus, but could also be ways to negate the many penalties that come with hazards. For example:
-8 Injured -> upgrades to -4 Injured, but treated by a doctor.
-10 dead colonist -> upgrades to -5 dead colonist, but went to a memorial.
-5 killed a bandit -> -2 killed a bandit, but reassured by a friend.
Stuff like that.

One of the biggest morale killers is starvation or fatigue. Citizens are a bit too eager to let themselves reach the -20 mark, and reach that point perhaps too quickly. This is very obvious with drafted soldiers, where the game doesn't really warn you about their state until it's too late.