Is is still point blank = no guns?

Started by dragonalumni, March 27, 2019, 12:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonalumni

I quit playing Rimworld as soon as I couldn't use a shotgun and point blank because, lol, stupid.
Is is still that way on the current version?

TheMeInTeam

So long as guns can be fired in melee range, melee weapons are trash.

Prior to the change using a solid quality longsword with good melee skill struggled just to approach the DPS of a random raider's machine pistol you picked up and fired at point blank.  However the gun also shoots at range, so why would you ever choose the melee weapon?  Just use the gun for all situations, even melee.

Even less short-range focused weapons compared favorably to steel longswords.  For example AR at point blank was a perfectly solid ~6.5 DPS.  But it could also apply that 30 tiles away...

Limdood

In other words, yes, the restriction still exists.

You cannot fire guns at point-blank range.

It is incredibly unlikely to EVER change.

Kirby23590

However you can only fire in point blank range on your own colonists, not random animals in the wilds or with hostile raiders...

It might be a oversight but it be fun to do it some colonist that you don't like by shooting him in point blank.

There is a good reason why they made this balance change... Because well, also the raiders did the point blank shooting to your guys as well in B19 Testing versions, if they had a chain shotguns...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Limdood

Quote from: Kirby23590 on March 28, 2019, 01:18:16 AM
There is a good reason why they made this balance change... Because well, also the raiders did the point blank shooting to your guys as well in B19 Testing versions, if they had a chain shotguns...
pretty sure the balance reason they made the change was because with point blank shooting, melee wasn't a thing.  There was no use for any melee weapon ever.  Brawlers were just nonviolent pawns who COULD pick up a gun for -20 mood.

Now there is a point to melee.  Give a pawn a shield belt and a longsword, pop around a corner and lock down that LMG, charge rifle, or chain shotgun toting raider.

Kirby23590

Quote from: Limdood on March 28, 2019, 10:39:48 AM
Lock down that LMG, charge rifle, or chain shotgun toting raider.

Or that grenadier or that dude with an Rocket Launcher, Also Fists are also good for locking down a Sniper and forcing him into melee combat, And also locking Mechanoid Lancers...

I prefer mixing my fighters up, with ranged and melee... Also it's sometimes an good idea to give them Go-Juice or any combat drug that enhances their speed or their endurance... :)

dragonalumni

Thank you guys for the many replies. I too believe this was an attempt to balance weapon types, however for me this is a game-killer. For years it was one way and now this crap. (imho). The fact is swords shouldn't be able to balance guns anyways and the real way to balance the game was always to allow two weapons, just like basically every other game ever made. Also, belts and chems could have made it balanced, but zero range-- I can't fire this -- because balance -- nah..

Canute

Until you meet someone at the street, who hold with his right hand your pistole to block this while you was aiming at him, and his other hand with a knife move toward your insides.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Canute on April 02, 2019, 05:30:30 AM
Until you meet someone at the street, who hold with his right hand your pistole to block this while you was aiming at him, and his other hand with a knife move toward your insides.

Usually IRL this gets your hand blown off/rendered unusable, with a second trigger pull not far away.

However, an astute observer might note that Rimworld isn't real life and that animals will straight charge someone firing a rifle, so if Rimworld is to implement melee at all outside of animals there should be use cases.

Kirby23590

I swear in melee combat IRL... You could try pointing a rifle at a guy with an Knife or a Club... The Guy with knife and club will know how to counter this in hand-to-hand and forcing the guy with the rifle to use the buttstock and hitting the guy with the rifle instead shooting instead where he's at a disadvantage...

Not a Game-Killer if you have a second guy with an ranged weapon at 3 feet away to shoot the guy with the club with is AR...

You might learn this stuff from some self-defense training schools or from the media...

dragonalumni

Quote from: Kirby23590 on April 02, 2019, 02:05:01 PM
You might learn this stuff from some self-defense training schools or from the media...

You're funny. The fact is before you swing your stupid club you're going to be dead from my pistol.
end
of
story.

~Sincerly
Minnesota Hunter/Gun Owner.

Kirby23590

What club?

You're weird... :P

Also yeah, also someone can literately grab your pistol out of your hand, if there is a second one...

Also there's a mod called Simple Sidearms so you could swap a rifle to a knife in your pocket or swap to a pump shotgun before he jumps on to you...

Canute

dragonalumni,
noone disagre with you that any range weapon is superior vs a mellee weapon when the distance is more then 3 steps, except you got clumpsy shooter who only hit his own feets/legs.

But don't you agree, when some mellee fighter manage it to come at close range, like hide behind corners would overwhelm a range fighter. Except these range fighter is well trained at mellee combat too and can counter ?

Bobisme

I liked the fact that a shotgun at close range rocked and a gun can shoot at any time.
A melee should be able to interrupt a lining of a gun shot, to combat the weapons devastation at close range. Where as a gun lacks the ability to interrupt, higher the skill the better the interrupt.

i updated form B18 about 2 weeks ago was afk for a bit and i definitely saw melee as just non fighters except rare times, as someone has just suggested i will definitely be gabbing a shield belt n sending em out, could not compete with a gun before.

Bozobub

Actually, ranged fighters still got "melee-locked" anyway in previous versions, because hits DID interrupt the aiming cycle, over and over again, and melee attacks are faster than gun attacks, for the most part.

What I *don't* agree with, however, is negating all attacks.  Rather, any point-blank attacks from a ranged weapon should be melee, instead, using a small club (pistol) or BIG club (rifle).  This also opens up the possibility of bayonets and such.

My reasoning here is twofold.  First, any gun is a quite obvious (and effective) club.  "Pistol-whipping" and "butt-stroking" are concepts for a great reason!  Second, this adds realism without destroying game balance; after all, most ranged fighters won't have all that great a melee skill, if any at all ::).
Thanks, belgord!