grow and plant cut?

Started by Bobisme, March 27, 2019, 09:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobisme

i decided to set one pawn to grow and one cut, was hoping for that to work but setting him on grow auto cuts anyway, whats the dif? :)

togfox

I've spent 4 months trying to work that out. Is it a bug?

BlackHunter

Cutting is not gathering, however, growing is.

togfox

From my observation:

If you set someone to harvest then they will sow and harvest and maybe cut.

If you set someone to cut then they will harvest or cut.

Or something like that.  IDK - I just remember it being very inconsistent.

Canute

At the vanilla worktab you can't expand individual work categories like you can do it with Fluffy's WorkTab mod.
But the description of growing say: Plant seeds, Harvest Crops and forage for wild plants.
For plant cutting: Cut or harvest plants as designation.

Someone assigned on Growing will plant seeds and harvest plants on growing zone, but he never will cut plants/grass or chop tree's.

So not a bug.
Bobisme,
when you want that just one pawn plant and another just harvest, you should take a look into Fluffy's WorkTab mod, with that mod you can even disable/enable subwork tasks for each pawn.

Bobisme

just seems like double handling to me, i mean why not just have one set to sow and one to cut, makes sense and it's pretty close to that already, except one does both  and the other just one, if i want someone to do both i could just click both.

You're saying a 'legit' grower doesn't have to deal with trees, i don't see a real big benefit of it, spose don't want him to run around chopping trees, doesn't effect me that much, i create grow zones with no sow to get my trees.
Seems to me it should have been that way but plant cut was still inside grow by accident

Canute

Because at one the skill of growing geting into account, sowing some plants require some skill, and same for harvesting.
While plant cut can do everyone and don't need any skill, everyone can cut grass.

When you use the growing zone methode to harvest tree's, it is growing.
When you select tree's with the chop command it is plant cuting.

It is the game mechanic, it work's like intend. You may not agree with this mechanic but the devs decide it.

Bobisme

i was always under the impression that plant cut was associated to grow, so i suppose i can put all on cut plant and have no fear of loosing any crop, which is one thing i didn't consider