[1.1] Level Up!

Started by krafs, April 02, 2019, 03:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krafs

Quote from: Greed_GorAshaar on April 05, 2019, 02:32:10 PM
hey, what about unlock skill cap? u can change skill max level from 20 to X where X u can set by yourself

Unfortunately, an unlocked skill cap is a bit complex. Not that I couldn't do it, just that it most likely breaks a lot of mods and fundamental game mechanics. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun idea, I just don't want to tamper with that.

Greed_GorAshaar

sure i get it ;) its just an idea

Sonsalt

@krafs

Great work on the update :) coming together nicely.

It feels almost like this would belong into the game :P

A small but very useful mod.

krafs

1.0.2 The 'Level Down' Update

- Get notified when pawns level down.
This feature is disabled by default. Toggle it in the mod settings.

Sonsalt

Oh nice, well done.

This is quite useful for late game when it comes down to the top levels :D

While testing your mod I had the thought of highlighting if pawns are about to downgrade.
This is relevant especially when you need them at a high level for late game stuff.

I think this is not 100% related to this mod though.

Kirby23590

So when you get a Level down. At least i now know that i have re-train that curtain person in that skill... :)

Nice touches i love it!

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Kori

While the mod was working fine when it was 1.0, it stopped working with the update of 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 for me.
Also all mod settings were disabled by default.  :-\

krafs

Quote from: Kori on April 08, 2019, 07:04:05 AM
While the mod was working fine when it was 1.0, it stopped working with the update of 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 for me.
Also all mod settings were disabled by default.  :-\

Some peope who've updated seem to have had their mod settings disabled, like you say. That's unfortunate. Does everything work after enabling them again?

Kori

Quote from: krafs on April 08, 2019, 07:54:38 AM
Some peope who've updated seem to have had their mod settings disabled, like you say. That's unfortunate. Does everything work after enabling them again?

Unfortunately no. When I noticed it's not working anymore I checked the new settings, enabled everything and still don't receive any messages on level up.

krafs

Quote from: Kori on April 08, 2019, 01:11:37 PM
Unfortunately no.

Ok. I'm gonna spitball some ideas:
- Did you add the mod to an existing save or new?
- Are the pawns levelling up by learning? Levels gained via items and the debug menu won't work.
- Have you recently added mods that also modify or relate to skills?
- Do you receive no notifications at all, or just for levels above/below a certain level?
- Is it for all pawns or just some? All skills?
- Does the problem carry over to other saves, or just one save game?
- What happens if you create a new save with only Level Up and Core?

Kori

- Did you add the mod to an existing save or new?
new colony
- Are the pawns levelling up by learning? Levels gained via items and the debug menu won't work.
yes, by learning
- Have you recently added mods that also modify or relate to skills?
no, I use Static Quality Plus ( https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=24718.0 ), but that mod was working fine with Level Up 1.0.0
- Do you receive no notifications at all, or just for levels above/below a certain level?
no notifications at all, but I just started the colony and need more testing
- Is it for all pawns or just some? All skills?
so far for all pawns and all skills, haven't seen a notification once
- Does the problem carry over to other saves, or just one save game?
- What happens if you create a new save with only Level Up and Core?
I will test these things tomorrow :)

edit: I'm sure it is a mod conflict, I will find the conflicting mod tomorrow and let you know

Kori

The conflicting mod is Static Quality Plus and changing the load order does not help.
Once it is deactivated, Level Up works fine again, even in existing saves.

krafs

I just had a look at the source code for Static Quality Plus, and yeah, no wonder it didn't work for you. That mod completely overrides every bit of skill-related code, leaving no room for other mods to affect the same features. I would have to make a mod for that mod to be able to co-exist.

It seems to bring a lot more features than its name suggests. Is it mainly the skill degradation you're after? Because Mad Skillz does that too, but in a way that is much more compatibility friendly.

Kori

Quote from: krafs on April 09, 2019, 11:05:21 AM
I just had a look at the source code for Static Quality Plus, and yeah, no wonder it didn't work for you. That mod completely overrides every bit of skill-related code, leaving no room for other mods to affect the same features. I would have to make a mod for that mod to be able to co-exist.

It seems to bring a lot more features than its name suggests. Is it mainly the skill degradation you're after? Because Mad Skillz does that too, but in a way that is much more compatibility friendly.

That's too bad. :(
It's strange that it was working before the update. I have a list of mods I never touch except for adding something, so Static Quality Plus has always been there and I definitely got the Level Up notifications when your mod was released.

From SQP I use all features it offers: level based daily XP cap, the passion gain, crafting quality...  :-\

Thank you for having a look at the other mod!

krafs

Quote from: Kori on April 09, 2019, 11:41:34 AM
It's strange that it was working before the update.

So, I just couldn't shake this feeling that I'd missed something. You said that it worked before, and it shouldn't have, unless I was wrong about something. I did some more digging, and it seems I was wrong. The mods can be compatible with each other. I just needed to revert to a specific code design that I used in v1.0.0. It was just a small entry that decided where the mod is implemented.

I haven't updated the mod on Steam yet. I wanted to ask you if you'd try it out first. It's on GitHub. You probably need to unsubscribe on steam before adding it. Wanna help me out? :)