[1.1] Level Up!

Started by krafs, April 02, 2019, 03:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krafs

Notifications when a colonist levels up a skill.

How to use
Just play like normal. You'll get notified whenever a colonist levels up.
Level up is enabled by default. If you want to get notifications when a colonist levels down, enable it in the mod settings.

Compatibility
- Compatible with RimWorld v1.0, v1.1 and the Royalty DLC.
- Should be compatible with any mods.

Notes
- Safe to add and remove from existing saves.
- Add anywhere in your load order.
- This mod is different on v1.0 and v1.1 of RimWorld. You can use it on both versions, but they are slightly different. Read the Release notes to learn what has changed.

"My colonist levels up and then almost instantly down again!"
This is caused by a feature in vanilla RimWorld known as skill decay. Skills at lvl 10 and higher lose xp. If xp goes low enough, the skill levels down. The rate of skill decay increases with every level - It is slow at lvl 10, and fast at lvl 20. This can lead to two problems:

A colonist on level 10 or higher in a skill she almost never uses will lead to that skill almost always ending up at the very top of lvl 9, because skill decay stops as soon as a skill goes below lvl 10. This means that only a tiny bit of xp is needed to level her up to lvl 10 again, which then goes down to 9 again, and so on.

A colonist with a high level skill she uses almost all the time will likewise lead to that skill jumping up and down between e.g. lvl 19 and 20.

Level Up! has a cooldown between notifications to make this feel less irritating, but it does not in any way prevent or slow down skill decay. There are other excellent mods that do that though, e.g. RIMMSqol.

Languages
- English
- Russian (Credit: Player.exe)
- German (Credit: Paradies)
- French (Credit: Acaila)
- Simplified Chinese (Credit: HawnHan)
- Portuguese/Brazilian (Credit: randrade86)

Download
Download the mod from GitHub or Steam Workshop.

Kori

togfox

I didn't realise how much I wanted this!

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: togfox on April 02, 2019, 05:11:59 PM
I didn't realise how much I wanted this!
+1

Thank you for the mod

LiteEmUp

- Bookmarked -

This is definitely looking awesome... going to wait for a few days before adding, to see someone reports bugs lol

DiamondBorne

krafs

Glad you like it! Let me know if there are any issues or other ideas :)

Exende

Great mod!  Although personally not sure it's worth the 20+minutes to add it to my current game, maybe next game :/

Lex Silvas

Another mod that i didn't know i really needed until today. Thanks mate  ;) ;) ;)
XoXo

Sonsalt

@krafs great job!

You should also implement an animation that shows when a pawn is loosing a level.

Eventually, you can add also small icons to show what LVL up the pawn just aquired. :)

krafs

Quote from: Sonsalt on April 05, 2019, 05:49:26 AM
@krafs great job!

You should also implement an animation that shows when a pawn is loosing a level.

Eventually, you can add also small icons to show what LVL up the pawn just aquired. :)

Thanks!

Those are some cool ideas. Notifications on level downs would have to be toggleable in the mod settings (because I don't think everyone wants that) but that's definitely doable.
Are you thinking icons of e.g. stone cutting, shooting, social, etc? On the pawn or on the text message notification?

Sonsalt

This is what I found so far.

One final idea would be to show the lvl along with the animation. :P

krafs

Ah, ok. Yeah, I'll look into it and see if it fits. Good feedback @Sonsalt!

krafs

1.0.1 The 'Toggle Settings' Update

- Players can now disable unwanted mod effects occurring at level up:
- Text Notification
- Animation
- Sound Effect
Only want the text message? Or just the animation and sound? Now you can :)
- Adjusted duration of animation. It is now slightly longer.

Greed_GorAshaar

hey, what about unlock skill cap? u can change skill max level from 20 to X where X u can set by yourself