How I play Rimworld in "Will I Survive?" mode

Started by Run And Hide Gamer, April 03, 2019, 09:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Run And Hide Gamer

When crashing on a planet I try not to make things too predictable.... your ship is in pieces with debris scattered in a large area around you.

It would not make sense to automatically have your revolver, shotgun, steel, food packages,etc..... I mean you just crashed and all of those items may have been destroyed.

So when setting up a new scenario for Crashlanded for example, I remove every resource that comes with the default scenario.

I then go to Add Parts...... Scatter Randomly..... and without looking at what item was scattered randomly I repeat the step another 12 times until I have 13 parts randomly scattered across the map.

Still not looking at what those items were.

I then go configure the rest of the game.

When Rimworld starts up and I find myself on the planet.... I pause the game and see exactly what parts were scattered around.

So for the current game I found a lot of pork scattered across the desert....also some not so handy items such as cryptosleep caskets, lamps and other somewhat useless items.

Well not exactly useless.... while Steel was not scattered across the map I can deconstruct these other items I do not need and get much needed items.

Example.... the caskets gave me steel as well as Uranium.

Bozobub

Not a bad idea at all, although I'd make sure at least SOME food was added.  Especially in a harsh biome :P...

Perhaps set it up as nutrient paste and see it as "cryptosleep casket goop" that, while edible, is disgusting?
Thanks, belgord!

mayoculpa

I've been enjoying Naked Brutality, but changing it in the scenario editor to be a Tribal colonist. Start with nothing, not even research! :D Thrill with anticipation as the boreal forest winter approaches! Will one of my raiders spawn with a halfway decent parka I can steal off their bleeding body and/or corpse?

vzoxz0

Naked brutality is easier as a tribal since you get the mask early. Most underrated item in the game.

mayoculpa

I didn't realize New Arrivals had to research war masks and such. I knew you start without pemmican and passive cooler, and I can definitely see how not having those would make naked brutality even harder.

On the flip side it just seems more fitting to me that I spend the first year or so without electricity, helplessly listening to the "beeboop" of meat spoiling because I couldn't cook it fast enough. Then when it's finally researched it changes the game so dramatically.

I switch off and on between NB and regular Tribal start. Maybe next time I'll do a Tribal with 3 starting colonists but no gear to try and split the difference, heh.

thryllth

Tribal start with nothing but the clothes your pawns are wearing is a bit rough, particularly in an unforgiving biome as it becomes a race between starvation and that first couple tiles of rice growing.  The fact that you start with pemmican researched does make winter a tad bit less chancy as you can stretch the time before your meat spoils but in any map with animals I always used my winter food storage shed as bait to get whatever wildlife is on the map to come to me.  Just leave the door open and they will walk right into the freezer for you  ;)

mayoculpa

Quote from: thryllth on April 09, 2019, 01:59:40 PM
Tribal start with nothing but the clothes your pawns are wearing is a bit rough, particularly in an unforgiving biome as it becomes a race between starvation and that first couple tiles of rice growing.  The fact that you start with pemmican researched does make winter a tad bit less chancy as you can stretch the time before your meat spoils but in any map with animals I always used my winter food storage shed as bait to get whatever wildlife is on the map to come to me.  Just leave the door open and they will walk right into the freezer for you  ;)

Agreed, this is really great when it lets you get, say, an elk or two in a confined space. And your hunter doesn't even have to haul it cause it's already in the fridge!

It can get dicey sometimes though, like when a megasloth wanders in and all you've got is a couple recurve bows. Or it's the tail end of winter and there's nothing on the map but a warg ^^;;

thryllth

Quote from: mayoculpa on April 09, 2019, 05:45:23 PM
Agreed, this is really great when it lets you get, say, an elk or two in a confined space. And your hunter doesn't even have to haul it cause it's already in the fridge!

It can get dicey sometimes though, like when a megasloth wanders in and all you've got is a couple recurve bows. Or it's the tail end of winter and there's nothing on the map but a warg ^^;;

Yep this is why I will take a quick look at the wildlife tab before I leave the door open, no point in inviting guests you don't want over for dinner.

Canute

You are unfriendly, keep the door allways open ! :-)
Then Raiders path throw it too, instead to bash doors/walls instead.

But at last he allready got Recurved bows and not the starting short bows anymore, not sure how he manage to made them, since in such enviroment's you are allways short on wood.

BLACK_FR

I tried to make most hard game for myself, so I did this:
I start with 1 pawn.
I make all his skills at zero and no interests or traits.
He starts naked with no items.
Difficulty is merciless with no save/load, of course.
I disable all good and neutral events (I only leave trade caravan to guarantee myself advanced components in future). Full list in post in my signature.
I forbid myself to get other pawns.
I forbid myself to use current wealth mechanic regarding health of items and bulidings.

It took me roughly 11 years to launch the ship. It would be sooner if tribal research of ship wasn't so slow or if I had better pawn.
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me