Programming skills/tools for developing mods

Started by tsmt1001, April 04, 2019, 12:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsmt1001

Ok, so what do you need to develop Rimworld mods, or mods in general? I kinda want to try it. I am a software developer, but I work mostly with behind the scenes calculations code and have little experience with GUI. Would be nice to expand my skills.

Mehni

You need two of these:
C#, XML.

You also need at least two of these. Any combination works:
skill, motivation, time.

Kirby23590

For the tools, XML:
There's Notepad++, just google it and you should get on the right track with some understanding of XML learning it is not that hard...

And C#:

There is Visual Studio though the Rimworld wiki said that it uses the 2017 Community version, however i used Sharpdevelop since Visual Studio is an powerful that needs a strong computer, but i did swap into Visual Studio...

But i think C# is in the more advanced side of things by starting them up and making them to become a tool for making advanced Rimworld mods like What the Hack!? and Combat Extended which did use C# Coding...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

tsmt1001

Thanks. I do have some C# experience, although the bulk of my professional experience is in C and C++. Maybe I'll give it a shot when I have time. XML would be a cool thing to add to my professional resume.