[Mod] (Alpha 5C) Simple Storage v0.1.0

Started by Magikaas, July 07, 2014, 12:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magikaas

Simple Storage

Latest Version Here

Introduction

The first thing I and probably many people think of when they hear chests is containers that can hold a lot of 'Things' in one place, to fave space. This will be sort of like that, but not so'overpowered' as a 'regular' chest would make storage too easy.

Details

This Mod was inspired by and built upon code from Haplo's Miscellaneous Mods Pack's NanoStorage Mod check out his mods, they're pretty cool and nicely worked out

Implemented
Temporary
Not Yet Implemented

This mod can be used in other packs, I would appreciate if you let me know, I don't see any reason why I would not want it.

The source code in this mod can be found here (folders still have strange names, I can't figure out how to change these foldernames I chose when I was still practicing...)
The specs of this chest will allow for 3 'stacks' of items (basically replacing 3 squares with one) and requires a decent to high crafting and construction level to create (to be determined, my current idea is 10 in both)

Materials

• 50 Wood

TO BE IMPLEMENTED:

Metal Chest

• 300 metal
  • 1 spatial condenser
  • Crafting 10 (temporarily delayed until I get main functionality on chests sorted)

Spatial condenser

Details

Crafting material for chest. Craftable or rare drop from alien space ship part that sometimes crashes on map.

Crafting Materials

• 250 metal
  • 1 AI Core (not sure about this yet)

I have given some more detailed information about the mod's main parts to aid in my following question.

I have managed to get into a sort of mid game on one playthrough. By saying this i mean i do not know if these material costs are balanced or not for later game play so I would appreciate some info from more experienced players on this.

Other than that, I would like to know what people think of this idea. I want to create the mod anyway, but feedback and opinions will help me determine viability and interest.

Ideas for after initial release:

• Connecting to nearby chests to form one big inventory
  • To be determined

P.S.:

I could still use someone who can make sprites for the chests, as I can't really make art that works with the artstyle of the game or should even be seen by anyone but myself, because paint and VERY limited GIMP skills can only get you so far...

Edit:

I've had a look into an existing container mod, it's quite a lot more complex than my initial idea of how complex mods could get, this project may take a bit longer than expected, seeing my relatively limited experience with C# and knowledge of what is needed for a mod to work. I'll have to get into looking up more information about modding of this game :P

It's good fun though! :D

Edit2 (10th of July 2014):

I'm getting close to getting my first sort of 'working' prototype out, so I can start testing it in game xD If I can get it to a state that is workable to a degree, I'll put it up here with a (hopefully) clear disclaimer that it is most likely not complete. Hopefully people are interested in my forays into modding ^^

Edit3 (11th of July 2014):

Getting there :P It's proving more difficult than expected to get it in a working state. That along with my limited available time during the week makes this a slow process. This weekend I have plenty of time though ^^ So I expect it to be done by then! :P Bear with me! ^^/

Edit4 (14th of July 2014)

Of course there is no way to control real life and it only gets in the way of making progress when you are closest to your goal. Due to some personal reasons I have had to delay it slightly. Hope to have it tested by the end of today...

Edit5 (15th of July 2015)

I have managed to get it to start up in the game. But it is not in a workable state, along with not having its own textures. I'll add a square with the name of the building on it as texture, until I can get a decent texture. I have no idea how I'd even make it, since I can barely draw stick figures :P If anyone's interested in drawing something for the mod, please contact me or post it on this topic so we can figure something out.

Edit6 (17th of July 2014)

I have created 'First version', that sort of works.

Edit7 (19th of July 2014)

I have it working now. Next up is different tiers of the containers and adding connected storage.

I have also changed the texture for the building itself. But as I am a terrible spriter, the sprite for the building looks just horrible xD

Thinking of an overall storage, instead of singular containers.

Download v0.1.0 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21234753/SimpleStorage.zip)

Note: This is still very much a work in progress. As of this moment, it only functions as a container for a single item, kind of like a very expensive stockpile...

Edit8 (21th of July 2014)

Download Dev Version (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21234753/Rimworld%20Modding/SimpleStorage_0_1_1_dev.zip) Note: This is an indev version, it has a start for the connected storage implemented, but is not in working order, just wanted to bring out a dev update ;) Still ironing out some bugs

Edit9 (29th of July 2014)

Sorry for the lack of updates. Personal life and some obligations came knocking, so development had to be halted temporarily. I will be continuing the combined storage update from today, I have had a lot of thought on how I want to further implement it, while I could not work it :P So I reckon I'll be able to get a new 'indev' version out tonight or tomorrow!

Edit10 (31st of July 2014)

Time is very scarce these days, hoping to be able to work on the mod this evening, to bring out at least something! :(

Got a week off next week though, plenty of time then ^^; Please bear with me

Edit11 (3rd of August 2014)

Combined storage hath been realised, very stupid mistake, fixed ._.

Download 0.1.1 here (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21234753/Rimworld%20Modding/SimpleStorage_0_1_1.zip)

mrofa

Check miscelaus mod nanostorage, it works exackly like a chest, if you need any templates :)
All i do is clutter all around.

Magikaas

Quote from: mrofa on July 07, 2014, 01:24:31 PM
Check miscelaus mod nanostorage, it works exackly like a chest, if you need any templates :)

Oh good idea, I had not yet checked existing mods... Completely forgot ^^

Magikaas

I have updated the mod's download. I have changed the texture of the main chest, but it looks horrible.

Now I am making other chests to be added to this mod.

Afterward I will add begin with connected storage. Meaning chests of one type will connect their inventories, I am still thinking of whether this should increase the total storage above the sum of their individual storages. Meaning it would be 3 for 1 chest, 7 for 2 chests, 12 for 3 chests, 16 for 4 chests, for example or just 3xamountofchests

If anyone else has any ideas for this mod, please tell me :)

Evul

I will move this to the release section. :)

Jerethi50

When you get this fleshed out a bit more, I would love to add this to All In One Mod, if that is OK with you. :), Ill keep an eye on it.

Magikaas

Quote from: Jerethi50 on July 28, 2014, 01:21:33 PM
When you get this fleshed out a bit more, I would love to add this to All In One Mod, if that is OK with you. :), Ill keep an eye on it.

That would be cool :D

I still need to do art on it though, I am still using the art of the mod I based this on...

Once I get that sorted and finish up the combined storage functionality I'd be honored to have it added to a pack :P

Quote from: Evul on July 28, 2014, 11:55:12 AM
I will move this to the release section. :)

Magikaas

Small status update given, will try to work on it as much as I can in my limited free time these days!

Calling out to any artists interested in making art (even anything simple) to match this game's art style, as my white+black square does not cut it for a mod and my art skills are not sufficient enough to provide, I don't want to have to drop this mod because I can't find any art

Magikaas

Combined storage added! Yay! Anyone would have found the error I made ages ago, but yeah... That's just how these things go, right? ^^;