What do you guys think of my base?

Started by nackskott, April 17, 2019, 07:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nackskott

I just wanted to share my base which I'm really pleased of right now.
I'm playing on Rough-Randy with like 30 mods or so, mostly Star Wars as I think it works really well with vanilla Rimworld :)

What you guys think?
I'm really pleased with this base but I'm always open for suggestions :D

Rimworld is the best game ever!!

[attachment deleted due to age]

Canute

Hi,
since solar and wind generator don't need a special position like geothermal, i wouldn't place them that ouside. Behind a wind generator you can place 1 solar and before 2, and they don't block the wind, so you just need the free space for the wind generators. Anclose them with a wall.

The cooler next to the west entrance are a weak point, i would build them at a wall you don't have entrances. To protect the cooler keep a 1 tile wide area unroofed then the heat can disappear, and enclose it with walls.

Your growing zone's are outside but close to your defence area, raiders still will set them on fire sometimes. Maybe you should enclose them with walls too.
Do i saw potatos ? You only should grow them when you have no soil. Rice and Corn are better.

So many hospital bed's do you await an invasion of ill guests ? :-) And you should build a shelf for the herbals, so they don't look so ugly (objects at shelfs don't have the negativ beauty value).

Limdood

It's a nice starter base.

You've got the basics covered for the most part.

I'd try to wall off the cooking area from the rest of that giant center room.  Cooking causes food poisoning based on the room dirtiness.  Since the room is so big, there are so many things that can cause it to be dirty.  The main thing is blood from the butcher table, but bleeding colonists pathing through, or an occasional sick colonist will cause them to vomit at the table, which will cause more food poisoning, and more vomit, etc.

Your sandbag defenses could be improved in a weird, not super intuitive way....if you alternate sandbag and wall, you get even more cover.  So tile by tile your line would be sandbag -> wall -> sandbag -> wall...etc.  Then when you get attacked, place your colonists directly behind the WALL tiles.  You'll get cover for the wall square AND cover from the sandbags (they will "lean" out from behind the wall to shoot).

I have some more general recommendations for base layout too that make things in the colony a lot more efficientI can share here in a bit, but for now...gotta take the kids to school

Limdood

Ok then.  Back now.

I try to make my bases somewhat modular....I have distinct rooms with specific things in them, and can put that room anywhere in my base.  In my opinion, one of the key things is making sure the relative location of each room is ideal...meaning that each room is close to the rooms that pawns would have a need to go between.  Here's my impressions of where each room should be:

Hospital
Place near: Prison, Barn, Most used base entrance
Why: this allows you to keep your medicine near all the pawns that might need it.  additionally, having it near the base entrance you use most means that odds are if a pawn goes down, they're CLOSEST to the hospital

Prison
Place near: Kitchen, Hospital, maybe barn
AVOID: base entrance
why: unless you're using nutrient paste to feed prisoners (and even then, incapacitated prisoners need food carried to them), you'll be bringing them meals, so kitchen makes a shorter walk.  near to hospital means faster medicine access, which could be crucial to keeping a prisoner alive.  Barn for same reason.  You want your prison a bit further from your base entrances though, so its harder for prisoners to escape.

Barn
Place near: Fields, medicine storage (hospital/prison), kitchen
why: you want your haulers to be able to move food from the fields or kitchen to the barn, in the case of veggies, hay, or kibble.  You want ready access to medicine if you use combat animals, or just aren't the best with keeping animals out of the line of fire.  That being said, if things are tight, the barn can go just about anywhere without really causing problems

Laboratory
Place near: anything
why: you want a separate lab room, with metal or sterile tile floors for the clean bonus, and multiple pawns can research at multiple benches at once, so if you feel like prioritizing fast research, you can build a full size lab with 2-4 research tables.  It doesn't really need to be near any specific other rooms though.

Kitchen/Butcher
Place near: each other, freezer (if separate from kitchen/butcher)
why: you want your kitchen and butcher room to be separate for cleanliness reasons, but still right next to each other.  You also want fast access to the freezer (for materials)

Dining Room
Place near: Food storage, base center
why: pawns eat meals twice a day, so there will be a LOT of traffic through this room.  You want them to be able to grab and eat fast, and you want it centrally located so its not far away from anywhere.

Workshop(s)
Place near: Materials stockpile storage room. 
why: fast access to goods.  I tend to make 2 workshops...one with tailor bench, smelter, mending bench (mod) and all the textiles, apparel, and weapons stored there, and one that houses all the raw resources and benches that use those (refinery, smithing, machining, etc), but i've seen people with separate stockpile rooms from their workshops and that works as well.

Mortar room (late game)
place near: a tiny, indoor room, with open doors where you store your shells
AVOID: base edge/entrance
why: mortars have a minimum range.  when you get them, you'll probably want several together so you can lob loads of wildly inaccurate death on approaching raids.  Due to the changes to item deterioration, simply roofing a portion of the room to store shells won't stop them from deteriorating anymore, so you'll need an adjacent room for shell storage.

Death room
Place near: barn (if you use corpse eating animals), or items stockpiles (if you burn bodies AND use the tainted clothes with a mod or something), or anywhere at all
AVOID: high traffic
why: death room just means wherever you put bodies from raids, if they're not immediately disposed of on the spot.  It is possible to use hauler animals to haul bodies to a small freezer that colonists aren't allowed to go to, but animals ARE, and you can use them as additional food for corpse-eating animals....all without ever having your pawns handle or go near the bodies and get those negative moodlets. 

nackskott

Thanks for all your advice :)

The hospital beds/area was bunker before I could build individual rooms for my colonists :)

The cooler, butcher, potato and power (wind/solar) advices I'll try at once! :D

Kirby23590

A really nice base...

However i would like to wall of the Wind Turbines and the Solar Panels, as they feel very vulnerable to raiders bashing them and breaking them down and not only that but they would use them as cover something like using them like human power generator shields, when you try to defend it with turrets...

2 Layer Wall Freezers also help out too not to increase the defenses of it,
but to make sure the cold temperatures stay in and isolate it there and keep the corpses and the meals frozen especially if it's summer or when there is a heat wave... ;)

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Canute

The 2 layer wall lower the power need, like Kirby said it isolate better then single walls.
And a airlock door system (Door space door) to prevent that raise to much at the freezer.

You even should think about 2 layer walls when you play at extreme temp. too. The energy need or the resulting temp. will be more efficient.

N3c0L4s

Dargaron

*Gordon Ramsey voice" What is this trash base? Throw it in the garbage right now, ye twit!

*ahem* Joking aside, you'll probably want to enclose your research bench in a room with (eventually) sterile tiles. Small rooms are easier to keep clean than large rooms (expecially if they're a low-traffic, dead-end room like a research lab), and room cleanliness does effect research speed. Make sure to leave room for the multi-analyzer (and any other modded linkables, since I see you're using the Wall Lights mod and so might have some modded linkables).

I would recommend building a one-tile-wide enclosed space behind your coolers, then setting it to be a no-roof area. I usually build my coolers in the back corner of my freezer, with a one-tile roofless zone. I've attached an example (although nowadays, I usually make sure that I leave a door into the space behind the freezer, because orbital traders like to drop perishable, valuable stuff *right* in that unreachable spot).

On a similar note to the research bench above, you don't want your stove to be in the same room as a butcher's table OR a Sculptor's Table: both of those come with an innate cleanliness penalty, so they should be in a different room than your stove to avoid food poisoning.

What races are those? I think I recognize one as a Wookiee, but what are Lirri, Lana and Yuned?

Canute

And another hint about freezer.
When you use/need multiple coolers, you should set them on different temp.

[attachment deleted due to age]

nackskott

I don't understand, why should I set them att different temperatures?

Lirri is Ewok, Lana is Zabrak and Yuned is Twi'lek :) All races except Zabrak can be found in "Star Wars Races" mod :)

Canute

It is more a control for you that you got enough cooler.
Normaly they would turn into low power mode when they reached their target temperature.
When you set them at different temp. you notice if some are perm. at lower power mode.
Basicly these arn't needed for your current map temperature.
But you allways should have some reserve in case of a heat wave.

Demoulius

Quote from: Canute on April 23, 2019, 10:24:07 AM
It is more a control for you that you got enough cooler.
Normaly they would turn into low power mode when they reached their target temperature.
When you set them at different temp. you notice if some are perm. at lower power mode.
Basicly these arn't needed for your current map temperature.
But you allways should have some reserve in case of a heat wave.

Dont forget that multiple coolers are less vunerable to a single one breaking down.

Aside from the other advice people have given id like to add this: build floors. It adds movement speed to your pawns when they move over it, removes the ugly enviroment debuff to their mood and helps keep your colony clean. Well, cleaner.  ::)

Its a nice early game base :) later on you will get attacked with weapons that have enough range to make your current defenses obsolete. A simple wall that they have to walk around to get within shooting range of your base can achieve just that :) it also has the nice added benefit that it makes your food area and such easier to defend ;)