Long phrases (backstories)

Started by morticinus, April 18, 2019, 05:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morticinus

Hi,
some phrases <titleFemale> (or <title>) in backstories do not fit in the game UI. Could you move the "Skills" (Dovednosti) table more to the right?

<GlitterworldSurgeon15>
    <!-- EN: glitterworld surgeon -->
    <title>chirurg ze třpytosvěta</title>
    <titleFemale>chirurgyně ze třpytosvěta</titleFemale>

Thank you.

Tynan

The layout of that screen is being improved but there will always be a limit to text length, and I think that backstory is beyond it. Try to find a shorter way to express a similar idea.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

morticinus

Hi,
sometimes it is impossible to find shorter ways by using synonyms or another expressions. Now, I checked all the translated titles (male and female) in the game by using mod Prepare carefully and found a problem with about 50 titles. I managed to fix about 20 titles, the remaining expressions is impossible to fix. Only three extra letters would be great. Thank you.

ByJacob

Actual in title you can write 21 characters

LWM

ForeverZer0

Quote from: morticinus on May 04, 2019, 10:56:32 AM
sometimes it is impossible to find shorter ways by using synonyms or another expressions

It doesn't need to be a 1:1 translation of each word individually. That isn't how translating works, and can often not even make sense if you do that. You can obviously just convey the same/similar thing in the allotted space.

morticinus

I agree, but Czech is a very, very complex language. I try to make the best possible translation. Shortening does not solve anything, it only decreases the quality of translation.

LWM

Also possibly make up words?  "glittersurgeon?"  Feel free, do the best you can, I guess :/