Started by Royal_Coyote_YouTube, May 06, 2019, 01:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royal_Coyote_YouTube

So guys my question is

1) will there be a new update say 2.0
2) if yes whem do you think it will drop
3) what new features would you like to see

TastyCookies

I do know that Tynan plans to release another update to address the loading times that many people with mods are experiencing. Here is the tweet that he made.

https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/1082378656008294400

Kirby23590

I don't know.

But i think that's just a bugfix or a hotfix rather than a update... Hopefully that's good for modders...

What i do want to see is a new game from Tynan and Ludeon, Hopefully set in the same universe in Rimworld... :D

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

patoka

Quote from: TastyCookies on May 06, 2019, 03:13:08 PMhttps://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/1082378656008294400
damn, this tweet is close to half a year old...do you guys think it will be one massive update like we've seen before or is it just a difficult issue to resolve without making other matters worse? any actual it-person or ludeon worker here that could lend me some insight?
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?

zizard

I think we're on our own now.

B@R5uk

I hope they just fix existing bugs like with sending prisoners via transport pods and improve gameability adding usefull stuff like size statistic of zones and check button for disallowing pawns to harvest ripe crop from growing zones.

Quatrosss

Theres honestly tons of stuff Tynan could bring into the game, if only i had enough money id buy rights to this game and would start improving, i have a clear vision of how it could look, for now the game is stale and unplayable after maxing out scenarios 5 times or more.

Limdood

Quote from: Quatrosss on May 15, 2019, 03:28:00 AM
Theres honestly tons of stuff Tynan could bring into the game, if only i had enough money id buy rights to this game and would start improving, i have a clear vision of how it could look, for now the game is stale and unplayable after maxing out scenarios 5 times or more.
Oh, this i HAVE to hear....please, do tell.

eugeneb

Quote from: Limdood on May 15, 2019, 08:58:19 AM
Oh, this i HAVE to hear....please, do tell.
I kind of agree on this. The game is already among the best I've played but also has a ton of unrealized potential. If it were up to me, I'd probably keep adding events, including complex ones, because the way it is now, dealing with "cold snap -> raid -> heat wave -> raid -> blight -> poison ship -> etc" does get repetitive over time. It would be cool to have something more complex, maybe mini stories even. E.g. some relative of local tribe's chieftain has heart issue and they are asking you to save their life. Or the tribe is starting to have plague epidemic. Area-wide effects so that toxic fallout can't be avoided by temporarily going camping a few tiles away. World being influenced by your reaction to events (tribe was raided by pirates and called you for help, you ignored and now it's a pirate base). May be if I keep screwing up responding to events and global conditions deteriorate past a certain tipping point, that would finally give me motivation to build ship. Abandoned ancient military base you can explore. Ideally I want to play this game and have so many events that I barely notice repetitiveness! (and I personally would be more than happy to keep purchasing these as DLCs or something).

ToXeye

Quote from: eugeneb on May 15, 2019, 11:20:14 AM
... It would be cool to have something more complex, ...

Yes, I agree that there would be more ways to actually role-play the characters other than them dying horribly.

*Addition 1* I would like to see a game mode chooser where you can choose different kinds of "storyteller happenings". Either that or just link to a mod which adds awesome new storytellers to the game.

*Addition 2* Either way, the best way to actually improve Rimworld is to mod it... but the vanilla gameplay is the most important thing for most of us. I think that since there's new players, and those matter more than the old players, vanilla could stay the way it is...
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

Kirby23590

Besides other bug fixes... I really hope they kinda make Starting or Creating new caravans less of an headache...

They should https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.msg458560#msg458560 Since mostly i have 25 people and i have started running around near my colony doing quests and getting ai persona cores for my hacked mechanoids so i can manually control them since i have what the hack!? mod... And of course Tribal shamans from More faction Interactions.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Limdood

I kind of agree on this. The game is already among the best I've played but also has a ton of unrealized potential. <snip>
The potential is restricted by the engine and mechanics.

Your "chieftan is having a heart attack" would either be:
1) nothing because you couldn't get there in time, or
2) a pawn wanders over to their base, a single stat check is made behind the scenes, then pass or fail.

How is that any different than what we have?  How does that improve the game?

Now i realize those random examples were just that, random examples, and there certainly are people that could think up more complex scenarios....but most of what COULD exist in the game kinda already does.  The scenario creator allows you to modify quite a bit of interesting features on your map...want to live in a hellscape?  add in a meteor every 0.1 days, and a permanent flashstorm.  Mods also provide a lot of additional content...the hospitality mod makes your relationship with other factions more important and meaningful, and lets you interact with them, but it's not vanilla because it'd be a nightmare to balance.  I remember reading that there are even mods out there that provide much more impressive enemy faction bases to raid (also not vanilla because balance, i'm sure).

One of the biggest issues facing the "i want more events and interaction with the world" crowd is that it's hard for things to get much worse....there are already 2 or more factions that periodically send a bunch of fighters with the express intention of wiping you out...how do you step it up from there without just being cheesy?  "omg they're going to carpetbomb your map from this outpost in 1 season!" just becomes "here's an 'enemy outpost' quest that has a penalty for not doing it instead of a reward for completion"

Most events in the game can be distilled down to basically just events that already exist in the game, or popular mods....

"Help this faction with a plague" is the "peace talks" quest but with medical skill
"abandoned ancient military base you can explore" is just raiding an enemy base with a "harder bases" mod

Honestly, I'd love a rimworld-esque game that has a more empire-building focus, but Rimworld is the wrong engine for that, and fills it's niche by simulating a single colony with small scale combat and survival simulation.

TK3600

I think you are being too pessimistic. For one drop pod can resolve the not arrive in time to arrive problem. I think mini multi stage quest is next step. Say, a chief is insane. You send high social pawn to help. But you realized there is a psychic ship few tile away. They worship it as god. Then you convince the tribe to wipe it out together. Then They reward you a woman For political marriage. But relation was bad because she cannot withstand the modern life style. Then you solve it, or risk a major relation hit after divorce.

ToXeye

Quote from: Royal_Coyote_YouTube on May 06, 2019, 01:12:07 AM
So guys my question is

1) will there be a new update say 2.0
2) if yes whem do you think it will drop
3) what new features would you like to see

I will answer this the way I see it:
1) I guess that Rimworld will see a pause in development, while Tynan looks around for new or old things to do
2) If there will be a new version, it will probably land annually (like minecraft)
3) I would like to see a two-handed weapon system. Three one handers or one onehander and a twohander.
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

Jibbles

has a ton of unrealized potential.
Agreed.

Can't wait for the next update.