(solved) [1.0.2231] Lag spikes

Started by Joubarbe, May 03, 2019, 12:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joubarbe

Hi,

So I've finally decided to play RimWorld. I've played a dozen hours during various betas, and another dozen after 1.0. Never had any lags during betas.

I play with no mods, I reinstalled the game once, making sure everything was removed, even the AppData\LocalLow folder. At first, I thought it was ok, because I was able to play for a few hours... but no. I now have constant irregular lag spikes. Sometimes I can play for an hour (rare), sometimes it appears as soon as I launch the game, or after 10 minutes. The "spikes" can go from 1 to 10 seconds ("lag" is maybe not the proper word here, more a freeze than a lag), and I'm vaguely under the impression that the spikes are reduced when the game speed is increased (absolutely not sure about that, but maybe that's a lead).

I play with the French unmodified version, most of the time at speed x1. Windows 7 64bits, GTX 1060 6GB, SSD.

Savegame: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8l8j6cuza69igy/Les%20Fromageux%20%28Mode%20Engagement%29.rws?dl=0
Output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/39lktdjbrh2nuv8/output_log.txt?dl=0
DxDiag: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvwyclgsi6iv9os/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

Thanks.

Canute

Hi,
from the logfile anything looks fine. So i don't think Rimworld itself cause the lag.

Does these freezes are only at Rimworld or maybe at other applications too ?

Joubarbe

Well... I disagree, I'm 100% positive that the problem comes from RimWorld, one way or another (maybe a call to external stuff?).

I never had these lags in any other programs. This report is based on a week play. During this time, I've played Warframe, PoE, Grim Dawn, used Photoshop, etc. no problems.

Canute

I would suggest that you manual delete the Rimworld installation folder, so any old files from previous version are gone.
Then let it repair/reinstall it.

You said you play french, try to switch to engl.
I know serveral translation arn't well done, but i never hear anything about lag/freezes so far. But who knows.

Joubarbe

As I said, I've already removed the game a few days back with no luck.
I've just tried switching to English, but it doesn't work either.

I've uploaded my savegame. Maybe someone could take a look. I can barely play one minute without having lags/freezes in this specific savegame.

When I google my problem, I find a number of users having the same issue. Some reports are quite old. For some, the pathfinding is the issue, but I cannot find any proof of that.

Ark

I tried your save, and everything seems to work just fine, no lag spikes or freezing.
On 1.0.2231 rev1156 Linux 64bit.
Have you tried starting a new game, do those freeze/lag?
You could try using https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer and see if some other process is hogging all the cpu during the lag.
I have some hazy memories about cpu/gpu dropping to a lower power state, check that all power settings are at maximum all the time or something like that.
You could also try running in windowed mode to see if that helps.

Canute

Yep, there is/was an issue with pathfinding over long distance.
Like when you restrict the zone of your animal to the opposite map side.
But so far i know that should be fixed.
And some similar issues with the mod Doors expanded, but since you play plain vanila it doesn't matter.

QuoteAs I said, I've already removed the game a few days back with no luck.
Mosttimes when people say this, they just use the uninstall feature. But uninstall just delete latest installed files not all files.

I run your safegame a few mins, and don't encounter any freezes or lag.

Joubarbe

Thanks a lot for your time and testing my savegame.

So I've run ProcessExplorer during my play, after 10 minutes I had two clear distinct lags, and ProcessExplorer showed two spikes: RimWorld: ±84%. I don't know what to do about that :)
For me it's clear that RimWorld is doing something heavy, and that something is extra-ordinary.

Both energy power (from Nvidia control panel) and windowed mode didn't work.

Canute

Do you use any other software that is active at the background ?
Lets start with some antivirus, video capturing, audio capturing, keyboard recording,...
You right there must be a reason for these freezes at Rimworld only. But Ark and me used your safegame without problems, so the issue must be at your mashine.

Joubarbe

Sooooo...

This morning I launched Starward Rogue and made a run. After 5 minutes, the exact same lag spikes as in RimWorld appeared. I never had those in many games.

I've uninstalled Panda Antivirus and DFX Audio Enhancer. I'm pretty sure the issues were coming from the latter, because everything runs fine now...

So I'd like to apologise, I still don't understand why it didn't affect other games, it will remain a mystery!
Thanks again for your time (and the ProcessExplorer suggestion, this thing is priceless).