How to build a ship on a single-hex island?

Started by noname_hero, May 07, 2019, 06:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noname_hero

Yes, I built my tribal colony on a single-hex island, to create a scenario where you can't simply pack and move in situations like a toxic fallout. And yes, I knew the raiders would be coming anyway.

But I'm getting into spaceflight research now and I'm running into a problem. I get no world quests. Not a single one. Not in all the years the colony has survived. I guess there's no world map hex some placing/pathing algorithm could place a quest into when there's no hex my caravans could get to that's not my home hex. And no quests means no AI cores.

Sure, I can *travel* to a ship, by leaving the island using transport pods. But I want to *launch* from this island. Sure, I could simply leave the island, build a colony elsewhere, obtain the AI core, and move back to the island, but that would feel too contrived.

So is there a vanilla way to build a ship in such a situation, without leaving the island? Or do I *have* to leave the island and settle elsewhere?

Canute

Never played on a isle tile myself.
Can you call other factions tradecaravans ? So you can trade with them.
But at last orbital trader you should be able to contact. I think they even should sell the AI Core as rare item (not sure).

Use the transport pod to create a second colony somewhere else.
You can mine there and maybe start trade caravan's to other settlements.
World quests should appear around these new settlement too.

noname_hero

Quote from: Canute on May 07, 2019, 09:06:24 AM
Never played on a isle tile myself.
Can you call other factions tradecaravans ? So you can trade with them.
But at last orbital trader you should be able to contact. I think they even should sell the AI Core as rare item (not sure).

Use the transport pod to create a second colony somewhere else.
You can mine there and maybe start trade caravan's to other settlements.
World quests should appear around these new settlement too.

Thank you for ideas, but I'm afraid I'll keep hoping for some more.

Yes, I can both call other factions and trade with orbital traders, but neither of these sell AI cores.

And I already mentioned I can build other settlements, but that would mean leaving the single-hex island, and I'm unwilling to do so if there's a way of building the ship there. It is not a matter of being unable to move the colony; it is a matter of trying to win without ever leaving the initial mini-island map hex :-)

Canute

The AI Core got could be sold fron Exotic good trader, but not every trader got one.

And you don't need to abandon your isle colony when you want create an outpost (At the option you just need to max. colonies).

TheMeInTeam

You can eventually get everything you need via trade but it might take a long time waiting.

Short of traveling or allowing multiple bases that's what you'll be doing though :/.

noname_hero

Sorry if I look like I'm never satisfied with the replies I get, but I don't think the current version of the game sells AI persona cores. I don't think I've ever seen one sold by any exotic trader and the wiki says this:
QuoteIt can only be found in an item stash world quest, or earned as a reward for completing quests for other factions.
And on my tiny little island, I never got a single item stash or faction quest.

I guess my question should be, is it possible for a fringe random event to give me an AI core? Say, are parting gifts taken from a caravan's inventory, or are they randomly generated? Can random transport pods contain one? Something else?

Or is this an item that's so hard-coded I'll have to abandon the idea of dusting off from a single hex?

Canute

No, Exotic goods trader (rarely or maybe only oribital ones) or item stash quest.
It is too valueable for visitor gifts or just as random pawn inventory.

If you don't want create a second colony (so quests around these colony can appear) you are doomed to stay on that isle.
Ofcouse you can use a mod that allow you to craft AI cores.
Or you can cheat, spawn an AI core with dev command and destroy alot of silver to compensate it.

TheMeInTeam

You still get caravans and trade ships on one hex islands, so the core will turn up eventually, as will the uranium.  It's just going to be a time bottleneck, you absolutely can launch from that if you're willing to wait a large amount of extra time just for the novelty of doing so.

Golden

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on May 09, 2019, 10:06:47 AM
You still get caravans and trade ships on one hex islands, so the core will turn up eventually, as will the uranium.  It's just going to be a time bottleneck, you absolutely can launch from that if you're willing to wait a large amount of extra time just for the novelty of doing so.
Sorry @TheMeInTeam, unless Tynan changed something very recently, the AI core only appears as item stash quests or faction request rewards.  They no longer come on caravans or trade ships at all.

Grax

Such a minor problem you have guys.
Mine problem's a crash every time the game tries to generate new encounter map. ;-)
OHU dropship, settlers, caravans, raiding pirates. (with/without mods no difference)
So i limited to my only single starting map. Never tried a vanilla rimworld (maybe it'll not crash, but vanilla's many years still insipid).

About 60+ mods, almost any of them i think are from these threads (approved with no compatibility problems/errors).
So i'll just sit&wait for update with a hope it'll be fixed somehow...

Canute

Switch OHU dropship with Cargo Pod transporter which is more stable.
Or use Rim of Magic so you can teleport around the world.

Grax

Quote from: Canute on May 11, 2019, 09:29:55 AM
Switch OHU dropship with Cargo Pod transporter which is more stable.
Or use Rim of Magic so you can teleport around the world.
No difference if i even disable both ;-)
Didn't try clear vanilla though. And will not.