Food binge colonist prefer kibble over Nutrient paste meal.

Started by khun_poo, May 09, 2019, 08:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khun_poo

Well... just happen to noticed it.

My situation is ...... The nutrient paste dispenser is running and the hopper is filled. Other colonist use it just fine. I also have a stored of Package survival meal in the storage, forbidden it and a kibble is in the barn.

Food restriction to all colonist is not to eat raw food, corpse and kibble.

Suddenly, some colonist yell "Enough with this sh*t! No more green goo!" and went food binge
(the last straw was "Ate awful meal"). He barge through the storage room and ravage the forbid survival meal.

I hastily make a dummy caravan with 1 colonist and her beloved elephant for a trip to vacation. She's carry 1 bed roll and all the remaining survival meal with her.

After the lucky colonist go on her holiday trip. The food binge colonist head straight to the barn and devour our elephant's kibble instead. He got food poisoning and cooked cannibalism immediately but that still not enough to stop him (though, it made his cannibalism's dad proud). Anything is fine for him than the green goo I guess.

Maybe the nutrient paste really taste that bad?

Tynan, how about make it more delicious please? ;D

Limdood

Nutrient paste would be way too powerful with less mood debuff.

As it is, it's the most food to hunger efficient food in the game, with 6 units of food comprising a full meal.  It also has no prep time.

The ONLY balances it has is that it needs electricity, and that it has a food debuff.

khun_poo

yea, also food poisoning free and no full time chef need too. I really love it  :)

khun_poo

Oh! by the way, the point is that it would be nice if the food binge colonist prefer to eat the nutrient paste meal.  :P

Limdood

Quote from: khun_poo on May 09, 2019, 09:19:21 PM
Oh! by the way, the point is that it would be nice if the food binge colonist prefer to eat the nutrient paste meal.  :P

Point of the binge is to be inconvenient....as a punishment for low mood.  would be a bit pointless if the mental breaks were completely controllable (punch unnecessary furniture, eat cheap and easily replaced meals, wander in a daze only in safe areas, etc.)

Demoulius

Why not just go with normal meals instead then? Unless you have severe problems feeding your colonists I see no point behind the nutrient paste...

Canute

Many people prefer NPD because no cook is needed to create meals.
And nutripaste meals are more resource efficient then simple meals.

Limdood

Quote from: Demoulius on May 10, 2019, 12:58:56 AM
Why not just go with normal meals instead then? Unless you have severe problems feeding your colonists I see no point behind the nutrient paste...
yeah, they're all fairly well balanced against each other:
nutrient paste - 60% cost, any food, reduced cook time, normal spoilage, -6 mood
simple - 100% cost, any food, normal cook time, normal spoilage, no mood
pemmican  100% cost, specific food, longer cook time, extremely low spoilage, no mood
fine - 100% cost, specific food, normal cook time, normal spoilage, +5 mood
lavish - 200% cost, specific food, normal cook time, normal spoilage, +10 mood
packaged survival - 200% cost, specific food, longer cook time (?), NO spoilage, no mood

There's a niche for each food type:
preserved food with limited resources? pemmican
preserved food with huge resources? packaged
frozen food with inconsistent food supplies (occasional large veggie or meat harvests)? simple
any situation with extremely limited food or bad cooks? nutrient paste
normal or large supplies of both veg and meat? fine or lavish

B@R5uk

I think food restrictions should solve any of such problems topicstarter mentioned. Not sure for 100%, because I have never tested it specificly with food binge breakdown.

Also NPD + food restrictions very nice combination for your colony prison. It saves food supplies on not working pawns and prisoners can feed themselves without need for working pawns to waste time delivering rations to prisoner room.

Canute

I don't think any policy take in effect while a mental break.
Did you ever got a ravenous appetite yourself ? I can speak from myself i can empty the fridge in such a state, sure i wouldn't eat kibble or other pet food but anything else.

B@R5uk

Well, actually I'm frickin starving myself every day now and fridge is turned off because there is nothing to freese in it, so I *can* understand. And year, you should *not* look down on pet food, especially canned. I have an acquaintance who has tried it and claims it's much tastier than many more expensive canned goods.

patoka

Quote from: Canute on May 12, 2019, 05:08:43 AM
I don't think any policy take in effect while a mental break.
Did you ever got a ravenous appetite yourself ? I can speak from myself i can empty the fridge in such a state, sure i wouldn't eat kibble or other pet food but anything else.
same. when i'm hungry, and i mean REALLY hungry, there is nothing i wont eat. old, moldy, dried out, accidentally dropped/wet, papers, hair, nails, skin, bones, veggie and fruit peels, garden flowers and plants, "soups" that you are supposed to pour away (water for boiling pasta after i'm done) and i could go on. yes, i have starved before in my life, but to be fair i've always been a big recycler.

PSA:
dont eat rice that has been outside for too long and has tiny black spots. not even wild rice comes with black spots. that shit is mold. i once ate a plateful and the bitter taste shouldve given it away. i am not kidding that what commenced half a day later was the worst pain imaginable and i have been kicked in the balls and broken bones before and even belly flopped from 5m so hard i couldnt breathe and almost drowned and i would take that over this food poisoning any day. it is hard for me to imagine that passing a kidney stone or giving birth could possibly be worse. it was paralyzing pain for half a day. i was in so much pain i couldnt move, speak or even cry. i totally wouldve cried if i couldve, but by the time i could i was too tired for it and the pain went away slowly thereafter. the worst thing was that my parents were in the next room and just thought i slept in since it's weekend, while in reality i didnt even sleep at all at night. honestly...thanks mom for giving birth to my stupid ass but i claim i went through worse just for a bit of rice.

Quote from: B@R5uk on May 13, 2019, 12:48:07 AM
Well, actually I'm frickin starving myself every day now and fridge is turned off because there is nothing to freese in it, so I *can* understand. And year, you should *not* look down on pet food, especially canned. I have an acquaintance who has tried it and claims it's much tastier than many more expensive canned goods.
my mom once tried canned or bagged pet food. apparently it is pretty good but disgustingly saltless. also she loves salt (and is old. old peeps love salt). i dont think she tried dried pet food though, bc it legit smells disgusting.
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?

Chesssx

Instead of creating a caravan, you should just be able to get a colonist to pick up the meals until the food binge is over.
Remember that enemies get turned into hats, colonists get turned into chemfuel unless they are a pyro then they get to burn alive.

khun_poo

Quote from: Chesssx on May 21, 2019, 06:55:34 PM
Instead of creating a caravan, you should just be able to get a colonist to pick up the meals until the food binge is over.

yea, would be great to assign colonist to carry nutrition paste meal as spare food like other spare meal could too. It's annoying when playing on big map. colonist that working on the other side of the map will get hungry midway, walk to their job place (eg; mine steel ore on the map's edge), mine just 1 time then walk all the way back to the nutrition paste dispenser so they can eat another meal.  :-\

welp, off topic though  :P

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: khun_poo on May 22, 2019, 11:31:51 AM
yea, would be great to assign colonist to carry nutrition paste meal as spare food like other spare meal could too. It's annoying when playing on big map. colonist that working on the other side of the map will get hungry midway, walk to their job place (eg; mine steel ore on the map's edge), mine just 1 time then walk all the way back to the nutrition paste dispenser so they can eat another meal.  :-\

welp, off topic though  :P
They can and will carry Nutrient Paste meals with them, provided you have some in storage.  The trick is getting a stockpile of nutri-paste meals in the first place, which can be done via a method illustrated in the wiki: https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Nutrient_paste_dispenser (scroll to the bottom)
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.