Minor Plants- stats?

Started by account13123, May 22, 2019, 12:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

account13123

I'm talking about tall grass, brambles and the like. I'm playing a naked solo game and thinking stuff like, "should I cut that patch of bramble or leave it?" But that decision weighs on stuff like, "How much does it slow movement?" The game's display ignores it, the wiki doesn't mention it exists, it can't be selected(hence "minor") so I can't see its stats page. If it slows pawns down a lot, it might be worth cultivating strategically as natural barbed wire; if not, I need the space!

tl;dr What are the precise effects of tall grass, brambles and any other similar plants I'm neglecting to mention?

Kirby23590

Grass doesn't affect anything... I'm sure if bramble slows down your pawns...

But they are burnable and when a wildfire starts... It grows big... And if there was no grass nor brambles... Then no fire if there was concrete or sand instead...

However i would cover them with flooring like concrete if was using windmills, since the grass or the soil will just throw in a tree blocking the windmills...

And if you have animals that eat grass like muffalos... they will starve without them or the wild veterinarian animals will start going to your farm and eating your crops...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

noname_hero

Quote from: Kirby23590 on May 22, 2019, 01:28:38 PM
However i would cover them with flooring like concrete if was using windmills, since the grass or the soil will just throw in a tree blocking the windmills...

What I always do is I either place solar panels or set up growing zones, usually for haygrass, on all the soil tiles a windmill needs clear.

Regarding the original topic, I'd guess that the old method of placing stone chunks into dedicated zones will give much better results, as those are fireproof, grazing-proof and cold-proof. Of course, the downside is the chunks provide cover, but I feel the disadvantages of so-called minor plants make things like hedgerows even less practical than the old stone chunk storage.

And if you want something renewable that will provide both cover and slowing comparable to that of bushes, admittedly something that increases your wealth, use damaged wooden stools.

account13123

I'm not asking about the how-to basics of horticulture and landscaping in Rimworld.

I'm trying to find out how much brambles and tall grass slow down pawns(exact figure not guesses)

<ThingDef ParentName="PlantBase">
<defName>Plant_TallGrass</defName>
<label>tall grass</label>
<description>Wild tall grass. Slows down anyone moving over it.</description>
<statBases>
<MaxHitPoints>90</MaxHitPoints>
<Flammability>1.3</Flammability>
<Nutrition>0.16</Nutrition>
    </statBases>
<pathCost>15</pathCost>
<graphicData>
<texPath>Things/Plant/Grass</texPath>
<graphicClass>Graphic_Random</graphicClass>
</graphicData>
<hideAtSnowDepth>0.5</hideAtSnowDepth>
<ingestible />
<plant>
<fertilitySensitivity>0.7</fertilitySensitivity>
<growDays>3</growDays>
<harvestWork>60</harvestWork>
<maxMeshCount>9</maxMeshCount>
<visualSizeRange>
<min>0.7</min>
<max>0.85</max>
</visualSizeRange>
<topWindExposure>0.4</topWindExposure>
<wildClusterRadius>4</wildClusterRadius>
<wildClusterWeight>10</wildClusterWeight>
<wildOrder>1</wildOrder>
</plant>
</ThingDef>

<ThingDef ParentName="PlantBase">
<defName>Plant_Brambles</defName>
<label>brambles</label>
<description>Tangled, thorny, woody shoots covered with leaves. Brambles grow in clusters, and slow down anyone moving over them.</description>
<statBases>
<MaxHitPoints>100</MaxHitPoints>
<Nutrition>0.2</Nutrition>
</statBases>
<pathCost>15</pathCost>
<graphicData>
<texPath>Things/Plant/Brambles</texPath>
<drawSize>1.7</drawSize>
<graphicClass>Graphic_Random</graphicClass>
</graphicData>
<ingestible />
<plant>
<fertilitySensitivity>0.7</fertilitySensitivity>
<growDays>3</growDays>
<harvestWork>60</harvestWork>
<maxMeshCount>4</maxMeshCount>
<leaflessGraphicPath>Things/Plant/Brambles_Leafless</leaflessGraphicPath>
<visualSizeRange>
<min>0.7</min>
<max>0.85</max>
</visualSizeRange>
<topWindExposure>0.15</topWindExposure>
<wildClusterRadius>4</wildClusterRadius>
<wildClusterWeight>200</wildClusterWeight>
      <wildOrder>1</wildOrder>
      <wildEqualLocalDistribution>false</wildEqualLocalDistribution>
</plant>
</ThingDef>

All I see in the raws are "pathCost" which is weight to the AI's pathfinding algorithm and not a measure of pawn speed reduction

It's not in the XML and it's not on the wiki, is it a hidden hardcoded thing or what?

AileTheAlien

I'm using a mod which lets you plant brambles and tall grass in growing zones, and that interface doesn't say either. It could be the path-cost is in there to simulate pawns being slowed down by it - they just path around it preferentially, as if it was slow / un-desirable. If it does actually slow them down, you could keep searching the XML files for it, and pray it's not hard-coded. The path-cost might even just go into a forumula, for how much to slow people down.

Kirby23590

So yeah, either cut them with plant cutting to avoid it making it slow down your pawns... And of course preventing them when there's fire...

It's really small, and they should die off in winters or in cold snaps when the snow comes around...

account13123

Quote from: Kirby23590 on May 23, 2019, 12:44:43 AM
So yeah, either cut them with plant cutting to avoid it making it slow down your pawns... And of course preventing them when there's fire...

It's really small, and they should die off in winters or in cold snaps when the snow comes around...

I'm not sure you understand what's being discussed. Here's a hint: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1501655249

Kirby23590

What i'm trying to say is cut the grass and bramble to avoid them slowing your pawns down if you fell like they are slowing you down...

But i don't think they make good alternatives to barbwires...

account13123

Quote from: Kirby23590 on May 23, 2019, 01:31:12 PMWhat i'm trying to say is cut the grass and bramble to avoid them slowing your pawns down if you fell like they are slowing you down...

This is not a question about basic gameplay. I don't need to be told how or why to remove plants.

Quote from: Kirby23590 on May 23, 2019, 01:31:12 PMBut i don't think they make good alternatives to barbwires...

Without knowing their effects, it's impossible to say whether they're good for any given purpose, or how they compare to any other thing at that purpose.

account13123