Suggestion: Add variety to "Ancient Dangers"

Started by Vakari, May 30, 2019, 08:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vakari

Even though I enjoy them, the mystique is pretty much gone at this point.  I know they will either contain bugs, bots, and/or people, who may or may not be hostile.

Instead of just the same scenarios, I'd love to see more variety.  For example: 

1.  Maybe you find a hidden weapons/supplies cache.
2.  Maybe you find parts to a starship, like from an old wreckage!
3.  Maybe you find an old computer, miraculously still running since the "Ancient days" or something that will boost one skill, randomly or not, before finally just giving out.
4.  Maybe you find a sealed medical lab, that automatically inflicts an illness or parasite or whatever, upon being unsealed. 
5.   Maybe you discover an entire "colony" that has remained hidden all this time!  (IE:  Like, if you find this digging in a mountain, under the ice, anywhere large enough to hide such a thing.)  This could even prompt immediate, all out war!

The point being, there are a LOT of ways to add variety to these, and I would really enjoy seeing more options added.

"Ancient dangers are like a box of chocolates"....or should be.   :D

jbox1

I agree entirely, this would make for some very very fun new story elements and surprises.

Fuck it, if I'm gonna open a sealed room from literally millennia past, I *want* to be surprised.

There should also be some more variety to regular ruins, something as simple as old furniture or the occasional component or supply cache would keep me happy. Just sitting there, chillin' like it ain't nobody's business.

Vakari

Thanks, jbox1 :)  I agree with you about finding surprises in regular ruins, too. 

Kirby23590

Some variety of ancient dangers like breaking into tombs or vaults...

Where instead of Cryptosleep caskets containing ancients. I could break into Sarcophagi containing skeletons that been long dead while the their Sarcophagus inside contains gold and other materials like silver along with the occasional insectoids who appear along with their hives...

Or just no Cryptosleep caskets or Sarcophagi but with Mechanoids guarding some sort of Sculptures and artifacts along with tons of treasures like weapons or exotic items lying in the floor...

That way i would love breaking into Ancient ruins to find tombs built by an lost kingdom or civilization or some sort of armories or labs that were left behind...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Vakari

@Kirby23590:  Yep, exactly!  Just need to randomize what we find more.

AileTheAlien

Even just finding an "ancient brick-making factory" which has smashed machines (steel and components), a bunch of bricks to loot, and some auto-turrets would be more interesting than what we have now.

LWM

Okay, these are some fantastic ideas; I kind of want to take one some of them...  Concrete plant.  Bioweapons lab (oops).  Burial caves you can loot (cross link with a possible mod for hauntings/ghosts?).  Heck, maybe just a trapped mechanoid gone dormant inside compacted steel.  Or maybe a few dead desiccated skeletons in some nice clothing...that's all tainted.  Hmm...

There's a few mods that add more ruins to the game that people might want to look into as well.

--LWM

Vakari

@AileTheAlien:  Love that idea!!!!
@LWN:  Those would be great, too!  Also:  Ghost mods??  Gotta check that out!

Vakari

I had another idea for the ancient ruins:  Flooded caverns.  (Or buildings, etc).   Where you would have to research the moisture pump, and remove the water before you could see what is underneath.  Would be a nice change from the instant attack.

ManHuntingSquirrel

Maybe there could be a psychic emanator that activates when you break a wall down. Maybe it makes all animals go manhunter, maybe it atracts a mechanoid hive.
- The Squirrel-Llama Manhunting Association CEO

Pangaea

A little out-of-the-box if you will, but the caskets could pop out mothers-in-law that will instantly start insulting everybody at an alarming pace, causing mental breaks galore. Very unpleasant.

ManHuntingSquirrel

Quote from: Pangaea on November 21, 2019, 06:16:45 AM
A little out-of-the-box if you will, but the caskets could pop out mothers-in-law that will instantly start insulting everybody at an alarming pace, causing mental breaks galore. Very unpleasant.

I mean, there's already a mental break for that.
- The Squirrel-Llama Manhunting Association CEO

ReZpawner

Could also put in a trigger for a plague to be released upon being opened. Quite a lot of interesting options here tbh.

Pangaea

Quote from: ManHuntingSquirrel on November 21, 2019, 05:26:54 PM
Quote from: Pangaea on November 21, 2019, 06:16:45 AM

I mean, there's already a mental break for that.

Bugger. Humour is hard to convey on the internet :(

Anyway, I think ancient dangers are fine as they are tbh. It has that unknown fear factor, not knowing what will pop out. Sometimes it's scary as hell, other times you get a bunch of recruits. For the most part I like it. Just wish we could move those caskets afterwards.

vadim_normal

Maybe a ancient midworld vault with alive people with blocked exit. Who will try to escape after opening door. But will be shot in the back by guards, as fallout 3 reference