Game keeps rushes to initializing during startup just to freeze and crash

Started by Todd, May 31, 2019, 04:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

So my game is jumping from the 3 loading dots to initializing, skipping all the other usual steps during load up. It freezes during initializing and whenever I try to do anything it crashes. I know it's skipping to initializing because it's taking like less than 5 minutes to load up which we all know is a very short loading time for this game (if you've got as many mods as me).

So this started today when I quit out of the game while it was loading. I tried to load it back up and then it started doing the thing. I restarted it in offline and online mode again to mess around with the mod order, and using the same mod order that i used for my games so like I know they woulden't crash. But now this game won't load up all of a sudden again. I can't seem to find an error log for today at all, but I found one for yesterday when the game unexpectedly crashed while loading up. I started it again right after and it was fine. Today, not so much. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

[attachment deleted due to age]

Canute

Damn you again ! :-)
At first delete the Core folder in Mods and let Steam repair/reinstall it.
I think these
QuoteXML error: Duplicate XML node name statBases in this XML block: <TerrainDef ParentName="WaterDeepBase">
are maybe from the older Rimworld version, but not 100% sure.

Then try out the RWMS - RimWorld Mod Sorter
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=48518.0
The tool might deactivate some unknown mods, let them deactivated at first.
Start Rimworld and check if it startup well.
Then reactivate some(not all at once) of the other mods and check if it still works well.
Until you activate all or some error/crash appear again, then try to remove these last added mods.

Todd

Ill try, it's just it takes like 20 minutes to load up each time so trying to find out which specific mod(s) it is is gonna take all day I feel like. I'll try out that mod sorter though for sure and I'll get back to you on that.

Todd

So I deleted the core folder multiple times, installed the modsorter and it claimed that it actually changed the mod order but i don't believe it because the installation instructions are really bad so i probably installed in incorrectly. Like i installed python and i have the rwms in my documents and it seems to connect to the rimworld files but like i really doubt that it's actually working. Like i just wanna play this game with mods but i have no idea why this is happening. And the fact that this game takes 20 minutes to load up each time is gonna make it really hard to find out which mod or mods are at work.

Canute

I know you are frustrated, this happen when you got some bad mod(s) that prevent a good expierence.
You only needed to delete Core once. Steam updated get a problem with old files. When the devs change the file structure like spliting or merging files, the steam updated don't delete old files that arn't used at the new version anymore.
But Rimworld still see them and try to interprete these that can lead to errors, special happen alot from B18 to B19/1.0 update.
So once you delete Core, anything is fine and you don't need to do it over and over.

You use windows i saw at the logfile, so why you didn't use the windows executable from the modsorter. Download
https://github.com/shakeyourbunny/RWMS/releases/download/0.94.6/rwms_sort-0.94.6-win.zip
unpack it, and start it without edit the .ini file. Since you use steam it should autodetect all the nessesary paths.
That is less complicate to use then to install the python stuff too.

A few days ago, a new Rimworld version came out (1.0.2282) that should speed up you startup time (much less then 20 min you said before for sure).

I hope you are geting the modsorting to work.
If not you need manualy delete the Modconfig.xml
goto
%userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios\
There you find the Config (and Saves with your safegames if you looked for them).
Inside Config you find the Modconfig.xml, delete it.
Then Rimworld should start without any mods.
After that you need to activate your mods, do this at small batches and not all at once or you will have the same problem like before.
Activate at first:
Modcheck (you prolly need to subscribe it first)
Hugslib
Jecstools
Humanoids Alien Framework.
These are some libaries other mod's like to need.
Then activate 5-10 mods, begin with mod's that just are quality of life mods and don't add new items/faction to the game.
After each batch, check the log window if some errors (red text) show up, try to identify the mod which cause the error (must be one of the last batch) and don't use that mod until you ask about these error at the mod discussion.
Better don't use a mod that cause error, then later to have a critical error that prevent you from playing your colony.

And please don't blame Rimworld itself, it is all the honor of the mods (authors).

Todd

Okay, I'm sorry if I'm coming across like an impatient asshat. It's just so time-consuming to fix this. So i downloaded the link you sent me, and of course, it doesn't work. Big surprise. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong with the automatic mod sorter, and I even made a thread about that, which no one is helping with me on unfortunately. So ive decided to do it the manual way. Ive been working on it for the past hour and i haven't even gotten through all my mods yet. But i have found a mod order while adding on these mods from the shelf that seems to start having problems. Here's the modconfig.xml, which again, the modsorter is failing to rewrite and I would really appreciate if someone actually told me how to work it because apparently I'm doing it wrong.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Canute

The problem with the mods are, they are all fan made, and not every mod is perfect.
Sometimes a mod alone works well, but in combination with other it can cause trouble.
So building up a bigger modlist is timeconsuming before you even can start your first colony.
But you are on steam, so far i hear there are a few mod collection out there.
Or a list with 288 mods you can find here.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=48777.msg459190#msg459190

About the Mod sorting tool.
I can't help you much, since the tool works a bit different on steam version then on DRM-free version (i need manualy edit the .ini to enter the path's for all things).
But if you got problems, you should post at the tools topic about it.
Maybe include the text of the tool at your report.
(press CTRL-A to mark all text, then CTRL-C to copy it into the clibboard, then you can paste it at the forum und maybe put it into a code frame (when you press Reply you see the icons for quote,code and other things).

Todd

The mod sorting tool is working now, so thank you so much for showing me that. I have all the mods loaded in order and now the game won't crash anymore! I'm still getting errors though, and here's the logfile when i open up the game. That waterbase thing is still there, and i would really like to know where it's from!

https://gist.github.com/HugsLibRecordKeeper/1364003e14068befb6e712e0850546c7

Canute

Gratz,
you found the Share log button self. Some other people needed to get pointed at these feature first ! :-)
About the "WaterDeepBase" i would try to deactivate
Beautiful Water.