[request] prevent pawns from picking up food when not eating

Started by account13123, June 01, 2019, 01:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

account13123

I want all of my food in the storage that's been designated for it for the same reason I don't want colonists randomly carrying wood or steel "just in case." Every one of my colonists clings to a spare meal like a teddy bear. I want them to stop.

Having searched for more than an hour growing ever more frustrated, let me tell you that a number of people have asked this exact thing for years on here, on steam, on reddit, and so on- and every such thread received 100% off topic replies. In the context of that ludicrous fact I'm forced to add a similarly ludicrous preface here. Please do not respond with:

• opinions on how to build tables or design bases
  • opinions on how to manage colonists' mood
  • opinions on why I shouldn't be allowed to want this
  • anything else that doesn't specifically advance or support the stated goal of the title
Furthermore, I am aware that Combat Extended or whatever technically does this- I am not going to install a mod that completely changes the balance and mechanics of the game and conflicts with several of the mods I'm already using just to alter 1 misbehavior nor do I want to micromanage the exact contents of every colonists' pockets, that's clearly far out of scope.

Thisbrewwillmakeyougay

Mehni

For someone requesting "invest a few hours into making a mod for my very specific desire" you sound awfully hostile.

Do it yourself: JobGiver_PackFood. Divert your anger into learning.

Please do not respond with anything that isn't "I learned X and Y. I think I need Z. How do I get from X and Y to Z?"  as nothing else will specifically advance or support the stated goal of the title.

account13123

Now that you've given me the name of the job, I've got a few ideas to try with my own hands if I can't find something, which is 100% more than I had to go on yesterday. Thank you very much.

I admitted myself the tone I had to set was ridiculous, but if I'd done the same thing as all those other posters I would have gotten the same lectures about tables they got instead of an answer. Now maybe soon they can get their answer, too.

Mehni

account13123

Quote from: Mehni on June 07, 2019, 07:22:43 AM
It's only activated as part of the XML ThinkTree.

One early solution I tried was changing the threshold on that, figuring that would preclude it from triggering. But whether I set the threshhold to 0, 1, or even more than 1, they still picked up food. Commenting it out breaks the game unfortunately, so there's no quick and dirty solution I could find.

If I were to try and make a mod myself, I think my ideal goal would be to put that job in the work menu. Is that even remotely possible?