What triggers animals to leave the map?

Started by vaindil, June 07, 2019, 11:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vaindil

I'm familiar with the normal reasons an animal would leave the map (malnutrition or temperature), but in my games recently I've had animals leave when neither of those conditions were true. The temperature has been well within the comfortable range and there's plenty of food on the map, but animals will break off one at a time from packs and just leave the map.

Will animals leave randomly of their own accord and I just didn't know this? Not sure what else could be going on.

EDIT: A new one just happened. A muffalo decided to leave the herd and the map, but on its way out it got hungry, ate some grass, then apparently it decided to stick around. I'm so confused.

homemdosgalos

I know that after a while (even with no change in weather) animals can migrate, or even if you kill all animals on a map they eventually come back, but i have no idea on what triggers this.

It's interesting that something like hunger would reset that trigger.

Maybe Tynan or one that delved into the code could elaborate on that...

Boloss31

is there a way to limit thrumbo to eating corn for example?

vaindil

It even happened to an alphabeaver! I don't know if beavers are handled differently or if they're just normal animals that only show up as part of an event, but an alphabeaver left the map despite there still being plenty of trees to eat. I don't understand.