what is the best creature for hauling ?

Started by Boloss31, June 08, 2019, 04:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boloss31

i mean capacity/speed. i use labradors & pigs cause thrumbo use to eat trees. What's your idea?

Boloss31

Thisbrewwillmakeyougay

Pigs and dogs are good starter pet since they have low wilderness, the fact they are omnivore make feeding them easier, but it also mean they will eat stuff you don't want them to.
Elephant+fox is good if you want set separate zone so they don't eat stuff they shouldn't but still haul everything.
Elephant are the best(great fighter, fully trainable, is pack animal) minus being a bit expensive.
Thumbo are good it if your feeding them wild trees instead of food. Otherwise elephants are better.

Limdood

Dogs are the best if you want things hauled from your fields, since dogs won't eat crops...they're also the easiest to train.

pigs are great if you don't have them haul from your fields or don't care if they eat crops, since they eat grass and growing plants, they're easier to feed.  They also breed faster than dogs, bond less easily, and are only marginally harder to train.

Bears, elephants and other large, tough haulers are good hybrid hauler/fighters, pulling their weight both in and out of combat.  They are more expensive, harder to train and tame, and can be costly to send into combat.

Now, if you're talking about CARGO capacity, as in for caravans, vanilla only gives 3 options: alpaca, dromedary, and muffalo, of which muffalo have the highest carrying capacity.

Thisbrewwillmakeyougay

Dogs are actually omnivores, so they will eat some of the crop. Also there are 4 vanilla pack animal with elephants.

Actually now that I think about it wargs are probably better than fox since don't eat meals and have lower wilderness.

Limdood

Quote from: Thisbrewwillmakeyougay on June 14, 2019, 12:04:44 PM
Dogs are actually omnivores, so they will eat some of the crop.
Dogs do not eat growing crops.  yes, they'll eat some of the goods after they're harvested/hauled, but pigs will eat the growing plant, possibly costing you an entire corn stalk (22 corn) for a small portion of their hunger. 

The distinction is significant, since eating raw food is fairly efficient for dogs, while eating planted crops is pretty much always a problem (you want them eating random plants growing around the map, not the crops you planted that will mature into far more nutrition)

Pangaea

Can't stand dogs due to the soul-crushing incessant barking, so they also turn into meat in my colonies, bonded or not. Pigs are pretty good, though you must ban them from fields. Although they eat more and are harder to train, I actually prefer "cats", like panthers and cougars. They don't eat crops so you can have them all over the colony without fear, and they sometimes hunt down prey on their own. Should be pretty sturdy in combat too, although I find that in practice that's kinda hard since they end up in the crossfire. They won't easily bond either, so less risk of pawn meltdowns when/if they die.

Actually taming them originally is hard of course, but sometimes traders bring them, and if you get a male and female, you're set. Great haulers. I tend to set them to the Home zone. Then set a home zone where you've cut down a bunch of tree or mined steel far from the base. Soon after there is a queue of panthers going to haul it back home. It's great. They can also rescue downed people, though it's risky during combat due to the abovementioned crossfire issue.

LWM

Bioengineered bionic raccoons, I hear tell.  An army of them.

Kirby23590

I find it kinda ironic that this kinda feels like it should be in "General Discussion" instead since it doesn't add any suggestions or ideas to the game what so ever instead...

But what i'm gonna say is that Pigs, Yes Farm Pigs are an alright animal candidate for hauling your junk and freeing your main haulers from carrying stone chunks and dead bodies and etc to the stockpile or weapon racks and shelves, are a good type of animal for that, and not mention them being disposable turning them into tasty pork... Mmmm pork which is my favorite meal in real life... ;)

Unless one of your handlers bounds with one of them... :(

But Doggos such as Labradors and Huskies are the best haulers IMO...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.