Keep patients in bed!

Started by Pangaea, August 14, 2019, 09:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

For the love of all that is holy and unholy and everything in between, KEEP PATIENTS IN BED!!

Every time there is a bad attack and half the colony is in hospital badly injured, I'm tearing my hair out. Because I KNOW I have to baby-sit them to the n-th degree. Even so, they WILL get up every so often to fetch a meal, or clean a room, or crawl to the other side of the base to get recreation. It's infuriatingly dumb.

There doesn't appear to be any way to fix this with priorities either. I've got bed rest and patient on 1. From the descriptions, nothing cover fetching meals and other idiocy they prefer to do over staying in bed when their life depends on it.

Pangaea

Is there ANYTHING that fixes this? A mod, anything?

Having started a new game, so very few tools, and I'm so bloody fed up of watching retards that can barely move get out of bed and start crawling 100 cells away or something to "take a walk" or play hoopstone or whatever the hell these colossal idiots want to do.

I'm honestly on the verge of giving up playing the game because of this idiocy.

Thisbrewwillmakeyougay

Make sure your colonist don't have any job at priority above "patient".
If you get a tv in range of the bed they won't need to recreate elsewhere.
You can anesthetize them to keep them in bed for some time(that might be a mod).

Limdood

hmmm, I know they won't clean if patient and bed rest are higher priority than cleaning.

I THINK if you set them to 24-hour "work" restriction while patient and bed rest are top priority, they may skip doing recreation...i'm fairly sure pawns won't do recreation during work restricted schedule time.

I don't think you can keep them from getting meals, but you might be able to set food preferences in such a way as to have a stock of pemmican, insect jelly, or survival meals in the hospital and flip patients over to a food preference that only allows food in the hospital.  Also, base food storage near hospital - plan it out in advance.

togfox

Maybe you need more wardens? Wardens will bring food to patients so the patients don't need to get out of bed and feed themselves.

Trying adding more wardens (assign a bunch of '1's to the warden column).

Pangaea

Quote from: togfox on September 13, 2019, 01:50:56 AM
Maybe you need more wardens? Wardens will bring food to patients so the patients don't need to get out of bed and feed themselves.

Trying adding more wardens (assign a bunch of '1's to the warden column).

Really wish it was that simple, but it isn't :(

The problem is that the game is hardcoded on needs/whatever like this, and it's impossible to handle it with priorities. People will simply randomly get out of bed and do recreation, change clothes, get food (even just a backup food to have on their person), and various other things. Even ordering them to rest until healed won't help. Sometimes it works decently, and other times it "works" for 10 seconds. Even when they have a TV right in front of their bed (and aren't bored of that type of recreation), they can just as well get up and crawl 100 tiles away to stargaze or play chess or whatever. It's bottomlessly dumb.

It's extremely infuriating (as seen from the language above), and I can't understand why there isn't anything we can do about it. Seems like a gigantic oversight.

Pangaea

No. I can't play this any more. It's way, WAY too retarded.

Gets up to unload fucking inventory.

Stay in bed until healed.

5 seconds later. Gets up to be a retard.

Stay in bed until healed.

5 seconds later. Gets up to be a retard.

Close down game.

KillTyrant

Tv's also good for long term patients.

TDATL

Try making an area limited to the hospital beds and restrict them to it. I've only had this problem a time or two and they didn't have an infection at the time so it wasn't that big a deal for me. Also, I think they were one of my crap pawns so I didn't care if they died.

If this was a good pawn and they had an infection that was close? Yeah, that would piss me off.

Limdood

Quote from: TDATL on September 16, 2019, 12:19:28 PM
Try making an area limited to the hospital beds and restrict them to it. I've only had this problem a time or two and they didn't have an infection at the time so it wasn't that big a deal for me. Also, I think they were one of my crap pawns so I didn't care if they died.

If this was a good pawn and they had an infection that was close? Yeah, that would piss me off.

I....cant believe I didn't think of that.

Pawns won't perform any action that takes place outside an allowed zone, including eating.  So restricting them to hospital only means they'll never get up to eat, never go put on a new outfit or haul something, and won't do any recreation outside the hospital.

You win, sir!