[1.0] Go Explore!

Started by Albion, June 09, 2019, 11:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

Go Explore!

After finishing my Sparkling Worlds mod, I decided to create a mod focused on events and exploration.

Content

Lost City
An ancient city got somehow destroyed.
You can travel there and loot resources and items but beware the danger!

There are currently 3 different "Lost Cities":

• Bombarded city - You can see a screenshot up top. The city is under constant orbital bombardment. Grab your loot before it will be destroyed.
  • Infested city - The city is infested with insect hives. Try to avoid them and grab some loot or exterminate them all.
  • Toxic city - Everything is under a constant toxic rain. The former inhabitant build some shelters to survive and store their stuff. Open them up at your own risk.
All 3 city versions are fully implemented

Ambrosia addicted animals
There is a large ambrosia sprout nearby!
However some animals seem to be hooked on the fruits and will defend them from intruders.
The event is fully implemented

Ship core startup
You detect a neraby energy signature of a ship core that is powering up!
Go investigate. Maybe you can take over the ship or scrap it down for parts.
You'll have to kill the former owners though...
This event is fully implemented

New settlement
A faction expanded and created a settlement in your general area. It works like every other normal settlement.
The event is rather rare so your area doesn't get littered with settlements.

Research request
A non-hostile factions is stuck with a problem and is requesting your best researcher to help them out.
If you send a good researcher you will end up with a boost to your relationship and some research points to a random unfinished research.

Prison camp
A non-hostile factions asks you for help to free some of their prisoners from a camp near you colony.
You have to defeat the hostile defenders and help the prisoners flee. As a reward you get a relationship bonus and some items.
Mehni helped by creating the custom code for the prisoners.
Finishing up development. Will be released with the final release.

Release Date
I plan to officially release the mod next Wednesday (24.07.)
It will be uploaded on both NexusMods and Steam.

You can get in contact with me on Discord (Albion#0905) to give feedback or just have a chat.
I love to get feedback and will respond to everyone.

You can download the latest stable version from this link.
It should be bug free but the events might still need some tweaking in regards to balance.

Credit goes to ChickenPlucker for providing me with the awesome preview!
Additional credit goes to Halno for providing the Storage box texture and to Mehni for helping with the custom duties and lord for the prisoners in the prison camp.

Here is a sample from the bombarded city event site:

Sonsalt

This sounds amazing, wondering how it will affect FPS, but I love the idea to expand on global events and create unique POIs over the global map to visit.

This really expands the lore. Well done !!!

Albion

FPS is actually not affected at all.
The bombardment creates some camera shake but appart from that there is no larger impact than with any other event map.

If you like world events, go check out my Sparkling Worlds mod. You can just use the Events stand-alone Addon if you don't like the other features.
I also recommend More Faction Interaction.
Both mods provide quite a few interesting events that spice up the routine.

Sonsalt

Oh I know and use this great mod already.

Really well done :)

Dinkel

This looks great! Btw I loved your trading fair event from sparkling worlds. I wonder if I could suggest an event similar to that, trading but inside a city? It could pop up out of nowhere as a trading hub permanently setup by a few allied factions and they would have their own buildings and shops there.

Or a existing faction could spawn a new site near by (sort of like how bandits expand their outposts) which can be entered and traded with. They would be better then going straight to the NPC settlement because you'd be able to enter the instance with your pawns and also they could have more trader variety and always have food sellers (some factions don't sell very much food making it harder to stock up feed along the way while on a trading expedition.

Also you could add a daily charge of silvers for staying there and using their beds and facilities or an initial tax charge for entering.

Though this is just an suggestion and I love all the other events you have so far.

Dinkel

Something closer to what you already have though is event specific for other mods. Such as Dungeons for Rimworld lf Magic. Just dungeon diving in general I guess. Pretty muchimw your infested city but maybe with arcane bandits or elementals.

I'm not a programmer but if tribal factions even those added by mods have a unique tag, abandoned city taken over by cannibles might be possible too.

Other then that, there's also radiation from Rimatomic and Zombies.

Albion

Thank you for your ideas Dinkel.

The expanding outposts idea is interesting but probably better suited for the More Faction Interaction mod by Mehni.
With this mod I want to focus more on events where you got to go out and explore some kind of event location.
I'll keep it in mind though and maybe implement it.

Mod-specific events are an interesting idea but I want to focus on vanilla compatible events.
Not everyone uses these mods and I only got a limited amount of time I can/want to dedicate to modding, so I want to create events every player can use and enjoy.

By the way: I'm in the final stretches of the Ambrosia animals event. I'll probably finish it up in the next few days.

Canute

Event Idea:
Opposite event as when a player build/activate the reactor core.
You get the energy signature that some other survivior are ready to start their spaceship.
You will encounter 2-6 mortars, serveral turrets and the important one a ready spaceship.

If you win the fight you can decide to claim the map as colony or salvage it.

Albion

I love that idea Canute.
It perfectly fits the theme of the mod.

I'll have to check how easily it is doable to create an appropriate map but I'll but that idea on the list of stuff I'll try to implement.

Albion

I just finished coding the Ambrosia addicted animals event.
Additionally I did some tweaking to the lost city events.

You can get the latest stable version from this link. Just click the download button at the top right corner.
Please give me some feedback on how you enjoy the events and if you think they are fun or (un)balanced.

I will continue working on some more events and plan to release the mod in a month or two.

Albion

I made great progress yesterday and mostly finished the ship core startup event.
It is definitely a lategame event and you will face about 40 enemies and 6 mortars. If you manage to kill them you end up with a fully powered ship that is ready to leave the planet or be stripped down for parts.
I'll try to finish up the event today or tomorrow at the latest and make it available to download at this link.

If you got any other great ideas for events or event sites: keep them coming!
I might include them before hitting releast on this mod.
Full release of the mod will probably be in July or August.

Canute

Do you remember the Mechanoid Terraformer event (still present at the HCSK) ?

A lategame apocalypse world event.
The mechanoid place/land a structure at the world.
After some time of activation, it will slowly change the terrain into desert or mechanoid plains.
The terraformed area will raise over time (quadrum) but after 3-5 tiles around are terraformed the mashine will shoot out seeds to create new structures at the outer border.

Like at the original event, you either can try to analyse the structure and maybe you can research and build a own terraform that can change the world tiles into your wanted biome.
Or destroy them to fight some mechanoids and salvage the structure (vario power cell).

Since it should be a apocalypse event, when the world tile of the colony get terraformed, the game can either end (too simple) or the whole outdoor map of colony get changed into the new terrain. Mechanoid instead animals will spawn at the map. Maybe in larger and larger quantities.

World road building event.
Once a faction got allied with you and got 100 standing for about a while.
They offer you chance to build a road between their closest city and your colony.
You need to deliver the resources, while the other faction offer the manpower.
Depend on the techlevel of the other faction they build better roads.
The road building is splited into serveral parts, each part build a road of 5-10 tiles.
Basicly like the trade request events, you need to deliver the resources to a building camp.
To made it a bit more difficult, the road start at the faction city not at your colony. :-)
Maybe an option to deliver the resources with transport pods.

Albion

Although those are interesting ideas, I don't really want to touch on stuff that is too complicated and already partly implemented by other mods.
The terraformer is as you already mentioned part of HCSK and RimRoads is a good mod for building roads.

I will rather stick to "simpler" events that spawns an event site or a site similar to the vanilla peace talks event.

I'll have to look into it first but another event might be a prisoner camp event. A friendly faction asks you to raid a site where some of their members are held prisoner in order to free them.

Albion

I just uploaded the latest version which you can download from this link.

It includes the newly finished ship core startup event.
Additonally ambrosia addicted animals are now actually addicted to ambrosia.

Keep the feedback and new ideas coming.

Mehni

Quote from: Canute on June 24, 2019, 07:11:32 AM
World road building event.
Once a faction got allied with you and got 100 standing for about a while.
They offer you chance to build a road between their closest city and your colony.
You need to deliver the resources, while the other faction offer the manpower.
(...)

MFI has a more basic version of this, and there's Roads of the Rim as well.

I'm excited for the mod Albion! You always make good stuff :)