Uranium Mini-Turret: Use or Deconstruct?

Started by Hans Lemurson, June 10, 2019, 07:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Lemurson

I acquired a Mini-Turret made out of Uranium from a pirate quest outpost. 

I have not researched enough to make Turrets myself, so I'm considering adding this to my base defenses.  However, Uranium is rare and expensive, and it would be a terrible shame if the turret were to be destroyed in battle.

Should I use my Uranium Mini-Turret as part of my defenses, or just break it down for parts to keep the Uranium safe?
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Canute

Since i rarely use turrets myself, i would say salvage it ! :-)
Special when you need the uranium for some own craftings like armor.

mindlar

Use it. While uranium is rarer than steel, it isn't that rare or expensive. I've had games where I build workbenches out of uranium and hospital beds out of uranium because I have excess uranium and am out of steel.

TheMeInTeam

Has the game changed that much?  Any time I've tried building the ship, even as tribal, access to uranium was one of the most common bottlenecks.

Limdood

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on June 10, 2019, 01:26:47 PM
Has the game changed that much?  Any time I've tried building the ship, even as tribal, access to uranium was one of the most common bottlenecks.
The percentage of people who frequent these forums who actually build the ship seems quite small

TK3600

Not advanced components?

B@R5uk

I haven't tried to build ship since beta. But it's really easy and most importantly cheap to buy advanced components and uranium from traders and settlements. With uranium the only drawback is its heavy weight.

I'm likely inclined to deconstract this type of turrent but for different reasons: I prefer everything to be square and unanimous and uniform like in the army. So the only question that remains for me is whether uranium turret will fire more powerful shots or not?

Hans Lemurson

It's similar to making a turret out of Plasteel; higher HP but same damage output.  It's not like the Uranium Slug Turret and actually fires it, it's just armored in Uranium.

My question comes because I am aware of the Uranium Bottleneck, but I know that I am far away from actually using Uranium in any capacity, and I have this extra-durable turret in my possession.  If I scrap it, I'll have 45 uranium (and a few components) that will do nothing but sit around in my storage, whereas if I install the turret, then its wealth becomes "self-protecting".  But with that comes the chance of destruction, and hence my dilemma.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Shurp

How much more is the constructed turret worth compared to the material in storage?

Also, I think the constructed turret will contribute to your defense value, which has a higher impact than your total colony value.  But I'm not sure about that.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: TK3600 on June 10, 2019, 03:13:08 PM
Not advanced components?

These are mostly a man-hours constraint rather than resource - plasteel from mechanoids and steel are common enough.  Gold can be an issue, but each advanced component doesn't take so much that it's usually a burden.

Since you can day/night work multiple benches if desired, I found the advanced component constraint annoying but rarely the actual bottleneck.  Last I tried I was still waiting on traders to bring uranium, though I suppose I could have drop pod shot my way to further settlements and back looking for the ability to buy more that way.

I guess if you want to get off the planet quickly it's a lot more practical to travel to the ship, even on larger maps.

Kirby23590

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on June 10, 2019, 07:08:24 AM
I acquired a Mini-Turret made out of Uranium from a pirate quest outpost. 

I have not researched enough to make Turrets myself, so I'm considering adding this to my base defenses.  However, Uranium is rare and expensive, and it would be a terrible shame if the turret were to be destroyed in battle.

Should I use my Uranium Mini-Turret as part of my defenses, or just break it down for parts to keep the Uranium safe?

Deconstruct it. The Uranium Mini-Turret won't hold very long from raiders bashing it to pieces. compared to the other Materials made from Mini-Turrets Like Steel or Plasteel.

Steel is okay for them since you can get a lot from buying them from bulk good traders or from mining them.
Plasteel is expensive and uncommon but they are more durable.
Uranium, i rather give that to Uranium Maces or using them for Ship parts or other stuff.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.