Mechanoid raid of insanity

Started by porcupine, July 21, 2014, 02:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

porcupine

I hadn't played Rimworld since Alpha 2, figured I'd load it back up, and see what changed.

This time, instead of tunneling into the mountain side, I ended up outside for most of the game.  I found that while there are a few more events, my game ended in the same manner as previous ones, the inevitable ridiculous raid that you just can't survive.

I figured people might get a laugh out of the attached save, and let me know if I missed an avenue of approach here...?  Was doing quite well until this point, rebuffing various raids, sieges, etc.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

axefrog

That's pretty insane. I let it run for a few minutes. Here's the result...

Shinzy

no yeah the game really really wants you dead =P
the real problem is them being able to dispatch all your turrets from afar and there's barely any sort of chokepoints

I could only kill the scythers by withdrawing everyone to the lower section of the base and unleashing all the miniguns and assault rifles on them when they came around the corner

then randy decided to drop another 5 centipedes in your trade beacon, hehe I almost lost it there =P the misfortune
I had everyone stand nearby so I just let the guys stand there and see what happened
they killed the new arrivals with some casualties
thankfully the 20 centipedes up there was taking their good time destroying other stuff but theres not much to do

you could try spend all that silver for some backups and see if anything's salvageable

On a good note! you had all your mortars reloaded so there's always the slim chance you'd manage to hit
the centipede swarm with them while they're all huddled up

I've had much better luck with Randy so far =P
he hasn't blessed me with any hive attacks so far
(if the ship pat crashes ain't count)

anyway! Tynan did say in one of the threads about having to address these kind of late game swarms

RawCode

at current stage game have only two ways to play:

cheesy strategy with traps and stuff that overcome AI.
restarting after a hour.

with some cheesy strategy you can overcome huge enemy force with only few colonists.
BUT
second part of game joined this moment - your colonists will simply leave after moving close to pile of dead bodies they did minute ago...

porcupine

Quote from: Shinzy on July 21, 2014, 07:37:04 AM
no yeah the game really really wants you dead =P
the real problem is them being able to dispatch all your turrets from afar and there's barely any sort of chokepoints

I could only kill the scythers by withdrawing everyone to the lower section of the base and unleashing all the miniguns and assault rifles on them when they came around the corner

then randy decided to drop another 5 centipedes in your trade beacon, hehe I almost lost it there =P the misfortune
I had everyone stand nearby so I just let the guys stand there and see what happened
they killed the new arrivals with some casualties
thankfully the 20 centipedes up there was taking their good time destroying other stuff but theres not much to do

you could try spend all that silver for some backups and see if anything's salvageable

On a good note! you had all your mortars reloaded so there's always the slim chance you'd manage to hit
the centipede swarm with them while they're all huddled up

I've had much better luck with Randy so far =P
he hasn't blessed me with any hive attacks so far
(if the ship pat crashes ain't count)

anyway! Tynan did say in one of the threads about having to address these kind of late game swarms

Heh, this is quite awhile into the game, I had numerous smaller raids (but still some were ridiculous, IE: 3 in a row), the worst being the last pirate raid:  a few dozen well armed pirates, furthest north area, constructed 20 mortars, and dropped with tens of thousands of metal.  Wide open, nowhere to hide and fight, and I only had 3 mortars functional.  I got lucky and sniped a few mortars until there was a chain reaction, and then sent in a clean-up crew of all colonists once 80% of 'em were dead.

Unfortunately trade ships in this game were few and far between (as you can discern from the weapons stockpile of significant volume).

I may give it another try, arming most of my colonists with M24's and kiting the centipedes, while having requested every ally imaginable for help with every last dime of gold....

Only problem is, the colony wealth wont go down that way (presumably it'll go up, as tons of weapons, etc. will get dropped from all the dead allies).

porcupine

Did another try, gave every colonist a m24 figuring maybe I could kite the centipedes (pppffft not a chance in that volume).

I called all the help I could (14,000 silver worth), and killed all the scythers, and all but 10 of the centipedes before three additional visits, one from the pirates, one from the people I called for help (which really hated me at that point), and one from another drop of centipedes.

Ironically after everybody was dead, my wealth was higher then ever!  I had so many guns after all, just most of 'em were on fire, and there was nobody to make use of 'em, and you know, silver apparently doesn't count as much wealth heh.

Shinzy

Quote from: porcupine on July 22, 2014, 01:58:44 AM
Did another try, gave every colonist a m24 figuring maybe I could kite the centipedes (pppffft not a chance in that volume).

I called all the help I could (14,000 silver worth), and killed all the scythers, and all but 10 of the centipedes before three additional visits, one from the pirates, one from the people I called for help (which really hated me at that point), and one from another drop of centipedes.

Ironically after everybody was dead, my wealth was higher then ever!  I had so many guns after all, just most of 'em were on fire, and there was nobody to make use of 'em, and you know, silver apparently doesn't count as much wealth heh.

Sounds like the battle of the ages there =D gotta admire you for trying
I kind of feel the ridiculous piles of weapons should attract the combat suppliers to give more visits so you could get rid of them

the outskirts of my base is littered with weapons (and bodies) that I'll never be able to get rid of well the bodies get set on flames during lightning storms sometimes and clear themselves up if the cropse pile is dense enough

porcupine

I actually did manage to win this one last night.... at a cost so deadly I restarted.

I called 14,000 silver worth of help, then I created a stockpile in the mountain, and made sure it picked up stone, metal, wood, and food, ensured every colonist was hauling as long as I could get 'em to without a mess, and reinforcing the stone walls of my new cavern.

The help threw themselves at the mechanoids valiantly, and my people scurried away.  Unfortunately timing just wasn't there, while safely entombed in their mountain, they had underestimated the value of wood for beds, and had vastly preferred resources of metal and stone over food, leading to mass starvation.

Perhaps I'll give it another go tonight, and see if they might survive beyond a few nights.

porcupine

An update for anybody who wants to try the new and improved(?) version of this save.  I buried my colonists away, survived the attack when the neighbors came 'round to lend a hand, and expanded from there.

Now the raids put the previous one to shame, you may need a half decent PC to even load this save (basically at the end of one of the attacks), almost the entire map is either dropped guns, or bodies, or meals stacked hundreds high (when the drop couldn't find an open space to place 'em when raiders called down for metal/meals to siege).

Hrm....

I take it back, I can't post it.  Tynan's ridiculous 600kb upload limit on the forums strikes again.  Even with maximum compression, we're at 1.9mb, shucks.

Shinzy

porcupine

Quote from: Shinzy on July 27, 2014, 04:12:54 AM
This calls for screenshots!

Hrm, I can do that, but where can I dump the images without an account?  I don't use imgur or anything, and the forum upload size is way too small.

Shinzy

Quote from: porcupine on July 27, 2014, 02:02:11 PM
Quote from: Shinzy on July 27, 2014, 04:12:54 AM
This calls for screenshots!

Hrm, I can do that, but where can I dump the images without an account?  I don't use imgur or anything, and the forum upload size is way too small.

Changing the files to Jpeg with Paint might be enough, you might still have to chop them down to bits
or if you got any better programs where you can do that and adjust the quality
you should get to the allowed limits real easy

but I wouldn't bother creating an upload account either for just some screens =P
I've seen my share of Rimworld carnage so I can imagine the destruction quite well, hehe

axefrog

Why don't you use imgur? You don't need an account, you just go there and upload.

porcupine

Quote from: axefrog on July 28, 2014, 03:35:21 AM
Why don't you use imgur? You don't need an account, you just go there and upload.

Hrm, I could swear I tried that last night, and it didn't pan out... but you certainly seem to be right, I just did so without login.

Main colony in the mountain:

Meals, stack 'em high:

Mech raid #1

Mech remains #2 (note colonists stacked high

When pirates crash land, they scattered all over the planet there were so many, even through thick rock roofs!

Main pirate forces (notice again, they're stacked several high)

Shinzy

ohh the stack of corpses on the old siege sites, oh my god
these are beautiful =P

next up, cleaning all that up, yeah? *poke*