Mood penalty for sleeping in light

Started by bjo0rn, July 21, 2014, 04:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjo0rn

Currently the colonists benefit from sleeping with the light on. Why not make them prefer (or benefit from) dark when they sleep? (unless nocturnal)

Shinzy

They don't seem to notice their surroundings at all while sleeping
they're not affected from lack of light either while in bed (atleast from what I've noticed)
and the -3 from being in darkness has barely any time to hit the guys from the few seconds of time they
actually spend in their room during the day
so you really don't need to have lightsources in their rooms!

anyhow! I know how you feel with them sleeping with lights right next to them =P it bugs me too
I know I can't sleep in light and all them studies of it being harmful even

it'd be better if they'd regain their sleep bar slower while sleeping in light
in my opinion

but then there's the microing involved in shutting the lights during the night
ooh *shudder*

unless they'd automatically shut on their own when detecting sleeping colonist

Edit!
After reading alphabetas post below it made me wanna do some field testing =P
Poor colonist
there's some of the things that affect colonists during their sleep

also I may or may not have too much spare time on my hands right now

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

_alphaBeta_

Quote from: Shinzy on July 21, 2014, 06:31:57 AM
They don't seem to notice their surroundings at all while sleeping

Until they do, there isn't much point to doing anything in colonists' rooms. You see the mood modifies apply for the 1-2 seconds it takes them to cross the room and dive into bed. Only consideration is size, since I believe the cramped environment may stick with them while sleeping, but I'm not in front of the game right now to check.

I always place lights even though there's no game-play reason to do so at the moment. You're correct in that the darkness mood penalty doesn't apply while sleeping (which makes sense). All told, I'd rather the lights be automatic, or have the colonists turn them off when not in use, rather than applying a penalty for them being on.

For much of this to be meaningful, colonists would need to spend more times in their room. Ironically the best rooms in the colony are usually prison rooms for me. Prisoners obviously spend all their time in there, so it makes sense for it to be somewhat nice, assuming you intend to try and convert them over. Even then, the "convinced by warden" mood bonus stacks up so high and fast that environmental mood conditions like this only make a difference in the first day or captivity.

Seems like the game is still trying to find itself with regard to colonist rooms (size, decorations, accommodations, etc.). Tynan mentioned in this post how he was trying to avoid players spending too much time on this. I could certainly understand avoiding cloning all the functionality in "The Sims," but I'd still like to see some game-play reasons for putting some basic items in rooms.

bjo0rn

Good response! The main motivation for the suggestion was realism. Secondarily, it adds a little difficulty by introducing another element the player has to consider, not necessarily by micro management but by planning.

I view rimworld as a large number of simple systems that interact, causing interesting chains of events. The more the merrier! :)