Some prison related questions

Started by Prologue, June 18, 2019, 02:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prologue

Question 1: When my prisoners go bezerk, my colonists default reaction is to shoot the prisoner on sight. Is there any way to make my colonist respond in a less agressive way? I think it might have to do with the fact that some of my colonists have the option set to fight instead of flee when they are under attack, which I preffer on mele fighters. I also have a mod fo having side arms, so some colonist have both ranged and mele weapons. And to be clear, the colonist usually don't even get attacked, they just walk in and shoot till the prisoner is down.

Question 2: Is there any way to chose a room for a specific prisoner? I usually end up having a lot of them and I don't always want to treat them equally. For exaple: I recently had to arrest one of my own colonists, who I'd like te rejoin my colony, but now he has to sleep in the same crappy cells as all my other prisoners who I use to do slave work for me.

I might add some more related questions later on.
Sorry for my english.

xrogaan

You can tell you pawn to "melee" the escaping prisoner, which usually is less safe than a bullet to the head.

You can create as many prisoner room cell as you want. Not sure on how to move them around. Maybe through anesthesia?

B@R5uk

Moving prisoners around is a bit tricky but this problem can be solved by juggling with beds and sleeping spots and ordering pawns to move prisoners around. Just read following example and try to improvise.

So, example. I need to move some prisoners from prison A to prison B and the same amound from B to A. I do the following steps:
0) hit pause
1) turn prison A to ordinary room;
2) place sleeping spots in prison B;
3) order pawns to move desired prisoners of room A to the bed (It would be newly created sleeping spots if there is not another prison with empty beds nearby);
4) turn room A back to prison;
5) unhit pause;
6) wait until pawns deliver prisoners;
7) do steps 1-6 switching A and B around;
8) ...
9) PROFIT!!!

Prologue

Mele attaking them is indeed the better option, but often this happesn automaticly and I can't chose how to resolve the situation.

The best idea I've been able to come up with to have some choise in where my prisoners go is to disalow all other doors. I usually have quite large prisons, and the prison population fluctuates a lot in size, so it's a bit annoying to allow and disallow all the doors every time I need to move some one or get a new wave of prisoners after a raid. It would be nice if you could just set an owner to a prison bed just like you can do with colonist.

Kirby23590

When i hear a prisoner go in a prison break. Of course i will pause and go melee them with blunt weapons or with rifle buttstocks to subdue them, and getting some injuries from fisticuffs and some stolen weapons lying on the ground.

But for other prisoners that i don't care about. And just harvesting them for organs or using them as slave miners. I will let the guards do their jobs allowing them to shoot them along with mini-turrets helping out shooting the escaping prisoners in large prison breaks.

I think i putted a mini-turret once in a prison room or two of them in there, but i don't know if that decreases the chance of prison breaks if they know that they will get themselves killed from those turrets if they do try to break out...
Just don't put a turret inside a room of a prisoner that you want to recruit or if they have a relation to a colonist....

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Limdood

1) i just mass draft anyone nearby, and order them to pummel the prisoner with fists.

harpo99999

another method to reduce the prison breaks risk is to remove the legs(for the prisoners that you want for the ones yo do not wany give them peglegs (if they are from a side you want to be friendly with then just release without pegging them), as legless prisoners can not escape, they can only lie in bed and get interacted/treated/broken, and even recriuted

B@R5uk

Well, social skill experience wardens get from prisoners offset food cost for a good amount, but I prefer not to mutilate them, as their selling value drops significantly. And travel on two peg legs to the selling point is much slower than on one's own two legs.

Shurp

Simple prosthetic legs aren't too expensive and allow for faster transport.  But I don't know how the cost ratio compared to the sale price works out for them.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.