[1.0] RimCities (Beta Release) - Procedural city map generation

Started by CeilingYoda, June 19, 2019, 06:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CeilingYoda

RimCities - Procedural city map generation

Overview
RimCities is an attempt to create an interesting and unique end-game challenge for RimWorld. This mod adds randomly generated cities to the world map, which are similar to other settlements but are far more difficult to attack.

You may occasionally come across pirate-controlled cities, which provide even more of a challenge by occasionally bombarding you with mortar shells.

As far as I have tested, RimCities is compatible with most of the currently popular RimWorld mods. Let me know if you find an incompatibility and we can try to find a solution.

Author
CeilingYoda a.k.a. Cabbage

Download
Steam Workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1775170117
GitHub: https://github.com/rvanasa/rimworld-cities

Install
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate via the mod menu in the game.

[attachment deleted due to age]

jacob814

This mod reminds me of a minecraft mod "The Lost Cities". Hopefully Ill have enough time to play with this in a playthrough.
My Mods:
Glass&Lights

Sonsalt

Could not resolve cross-reference: No Verse.ThingDef named Filth_Blood_Colorable found to give to CombatEffectsCE.MotePropertiesFilthy CombatEffectsCE.MotePropertiesFilthy
Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.WantedRefForObject:TryResolve(FailMode)
Verse.DirectXmlCrossRefLoader:ResolveAllWantedCrossReferences(FailMode)
Verse.PlayDataLoader:DoPlayLoad()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:LoadAllPlayData(Boolean)
Verse.Root:<Start>m__1()
Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
Verse.LongEventHandler:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>m__1()

There is an issue with the CE compatibility for me

I also get this errors

Could not resolve cross-reference: No Verse.ThingDef named Turret_Heavy found to give to Cities.GenStep_Emplacements+EmplacementOption Cities.GenStep_Emplacements+EmplacementOption
Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.WantedRefForObject:TryResolve(FailMode)
Verse.DirectXmlCrossRefLoader:ResolveAllWantedCrossReferences(FailMode)
Verse.DirectXmlLoader:ItemFromXmlFile(String, Boolean)
Verse.ModMetaData:Init()
Verse.ModMetaData:.ctor(String)
Verse.ModLister:RebuildModList()
RimWorld.Page_ModsConfig:PreOpen_Patch1(Object)
Verse.WindowStack:Add_Patch1(Object, Window)
RimThemesLite.<>c:<Prefix>b__9_6()
Verse.ListableOption:DrawOption(Vector2, Single)
Verse.OptionListingUtility:DrawOptionListing(Rect, List`1)
RimThemesLite.DoMainMenuControls_Patch:Prefix(Rect, Boolean)
RimWorld.MainMenuDrawer:DoMainMenuControls_Patch1(Rect, Boolean)
RimThemesLite.MainMenuOnGUI_Patch:Prefix(Vector2&, Vector2&, Boolean&, Vector2, Texture2D, Texture2D)
RimWorld.MainMenuDrawer:MainMenuOnGUI_Patch2()
Verse.UIRoot_Entry:DoMainMenu()
Verse.UIRoot_Entry:UIRootOnGUI()
Verse.Root:OnGUI()

publicuser

NPCs won't planting or hunting, so you can visit the city and waiting them starve to death, then all the resouces are yours

Ashran

I went to an alied city and it was like I was raiding my own base, really strange
I got Empty Workshop alerts, with arrows telling me where those workshops were like in my colony, except everything was undiscovered
And when people started to come out, they were hostile, and so I tried to leave, but the pawn started forming a caravan and got stuck
When I selected the city to reform the caravan, the site description was a block of error text, so I just reloaded and never went there again
Thats a yikes for me

As a sidenote, the city was pretty cool

TKCaesar

Does this mod work with a currently in progress game or is a new game required?

Vehicular_Zombicide

This mod doesn't work for some reason. When choosing the "land in abandoned city" starting scenario, I can't select it, and the cities simply don't generate on the world map on any scenario. Do you have any idea what could be causing this?

Vehicular_Zombicide

Okay, so I deactivated all mods except for Hugslib and Rimcities. Unfortunately, it does not seem to load at all- no cities are generated and there's not even a submenu for it under the Mod Options menu- ruling out a mod conflict of some kind. When I tried an earlier version (v0.3.0 on Github) it was able to load just fine, so I suspect whatever the issue was, it was caused by the update to the newest mod version.

Here's the link to the full output log, though to read it you'll probably have to slog through all the initial loading sequences for the other deactivated mods. I hope it helps though.

Canute

Vehicular_Zombicide,
try to download and use the latest version from releases 0.3.0 !

Sonsalt

The latest version of RimCities causes quite some errors when trying to enter a city.

"MakeThing error: ElectricTailoringBench is madeFromStuff but stuff=null. Assigning default."

Problem is that everything is made from stuff system

are the materials hard coded for spawners?

I already noticed and fixed a bug with turrets and CE compatibility.

Vehicular_Zombicide

Quote from: Canute on July 08, 2019, 04:16:31 AM
Vehicular_Zombicide,
try to download and use the latest version from releases 0.3.0 !

The latest version (v0.3.12) is the latest version, and that's the one with the issues. I tried v0.3.0, but that has issues of its own- such as an incompatibility with More Faction Interaction that causes the game to freeze, stop responding, and crash unrecoverably consistently within the first year of gameplay.

Vehicular_Zombicide

As it turns out, the crashing error was not due to Rimcities- it was actually due to the Humanoid Project mod. I was believed there was one bug at play when there were actually two. The other one is an incompatibility between More Faction Interaction and Rimcities that breaks the storyteller so that no more world incidents are thrown.

rimmer21

Does this increase the amount of memory that the laptop uses or should it run smooth like vanilla game. I'm currently on a 2n1 Lenovo and have 150+ mods no lag with less than 45 playable pawns.

Canute

Why do you ask such a question in a mod topic ? Does it relate to this mod at any kind ?

Depend on the amount of RAM you got.
If your system don't got enough RAM for an application, the OS will swap onto the volume. And ofcourse the volume (harddisk,ssd) got much slower performace then RAM.
But if you got more RAM then the application need, it doesn't matter how much free memory you got.