My game crashes when it reaches a specific point in time, help

Started by Ashran, June 24, 2019, 11:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashran

I was just playing normally yerterday (with mods btw) when the game froze for around 15 seconds, and then crashed. While I originally didnt think much of it, it kept doing it consistently at the same time, around 10 seconds after it reached 6h in 1x speed. After I stopped a pawn from deep drilling, thinking it may be a misfired infestation event or something, it extended to 7h before the same happens. I've been constantly saving and refining the time until I now have a save that crashes 1 second after unpausing. It works perfectly if you don't unpause it though. Originally Windows didnt even recognize the crash, no message popped up and if didnt click while it was frozen, even the blue loading cursor didnt appear. After a restart and some poking, I got Windows to recognize it but only got an error report in the event viewer missing a lot of info. today, after digging around, I got another report with some more info, and I was hoping someone could make sense of it.

I've attached (I hope, first post in this forum) a few screenshots of the game frozen; the first time time I got a Windows "program stopped working" message; two of the event viewer error reports and the one I just found today while digging around with the reliability history (sorry it's in Spanish btw)
Alright apparently thats too many files, so maybe just the first Event Viewer Log and the Reliability History Log

[attachment deleted due to age]

Canute

Hi,
the screnshots just tell me that Rimworld itself crashes (stack overflow i think), but not the reason or which mod cause it.
Could you take a look at the rimworld installation, the ...._data folder you should find the output_log.txt.
But be sure you got the crash before, the logfile will be newly created with each start.
If Rimworld crashed with a popup window, a crash folder should be created at the rimworld installation, you can find the output_log.txt there too.
Too attach the file to your answer you need to press Reply first, then you have options to attach files.

Ashran

My fault, I didn't explain that correctly.
There are no logs being created that I have found, when I said I had to force Windows to recognize it, I meant I had to do so because I only have one folder with a crash dump in the installation folder, and its from an older crash that I think is unrelated to this issue.
Rimworld does not crash with a Rimworld pop up window, it completely crashes, so no logs or crashdumps are created and only Windows creates a pop up window

Canute

The logfile at the RimworldWin64_data folder should still be there and be created newly everytime you start Rimworld look there.
But it should be the on after rimworld stoped working.

Ashran

Alright here it is, freshly crashed 4 minutes ago  :P

Canute

Hmm AnimalVariations (Animal Variety Coats) again before a crash.
There was a similar thing shortly.
You should report that to the mod discussion at the workshop since this mod isn't present at the forum.
I don't know if you can remove that mod on an existing safegame, maybe you should try this out and check if that help.

Ashran

Welp, I've reported it in the comment section (Author seems active there) and tried the game without the mod
Loaded normally, functioned perfectly well until I unpaused it, and once I did no surprises
However the output log is different as the mod sets up a framework around it, and removing the mod removes the skin the framework needs, I think

Edit: Author says that unless there is an extremely unfortunate mod interaction (which doesn't appear to happen if the output log can be trusted) it shouldn't be able to crash the game so throughly

Ashran

So...
I just booted up the PC and there was a harmony log in my desktop?
Dont know how this happened, but here it is

Oh wow its actually bigger than 1000kb lul. It's a +6MB pure text file
I guess I do have a tad bit too many mods haha
Actually, I'm gonna try to zip it.

Ashran

Alright, I've compressed the file, although I'm not sure it will even be useful for this, but given that it's the first time one of these has appeared...

Canute

Quote from: Ashran on June 25, 2019, 06:13:29 AM
So...
I just booted up the PC and there was a harmony log in my desktop?
Dont know how this happened, but here it is
That's basicly a debug log, only useful for the modder if he got deep understanding at C# code.
You can show that log to the other modauthor you mention before.

I guess I do have a tad bit too many mods haha
Some people said they use 200+ mods, and the top count is something above 400 mods.
Not to many, just a bad combination. Or maybe a bad load order.

If you like you can test out the
[1.0] RWMS -- RimWorld ModSorter
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=48518.0
You should prefer the executable files instead to install python too.

Ashran

You should prefer the executable files instead to install python too.

What do you mean by that, install python?

Alright went into the link and found it sorry
However rimworld is now creating harmony logs in my desktop everytime it loads?
Maybe its because I removed the animal skin variations mod?
Haven't used the script yet, but I do have python installed at least

Used the script, 192 mods detected, of which 193 are known (right...)
No unknown mods detected, new ModSorter xml loaded. I'm gonna try with Rimworld again

Ashran

So, the script did this, and Fluffy's mod manager is usually right
Is this normal?

As a sidenote, I moved RIMMS Load Up down (after Core) and loaded the game and it froze/crashed exactly the same as before

Ashran

I don't know why, but now if I draft everyone before unpausing the game doesnt crash
However, it still does if I dont do so, regardless of if I correct RIMMS Load Up position in the mod list or not
I'm guessing its some kind of action or thought that is causing the stack overflow, but I don't know why I can stop it now if I draft
I'm gonna try playing, and leave a copy of the various broken saves, because I'd really like to get to the bottom of this, just in case it can happen to other people too

Canute

RIMMS Load Up shouldn't have any effect anymore with the latest Rimworld version, the function of that mod got integrated into Rimworld.
But it don't have any bad sideeffects if you leave it. But basicly the Mod Manager is right, normaly it should be loaded after Core, Modcheck too.
But RIMMS Load Up don't have any impact on the gameplay, it just enhanced the startup from Rimworld previously.

The harmony.log.txt show up because one of your used mods set the debug code to True.
So all harmony action get logged from all mod's that use a harmony.dll.
But i don't think you can see which mod activate the flag at the log, so you need to find it out self with deactivating mod until no log appear anymore when you start Rimworld.

But you just can ignore the log file and delete it from time to time. So it don't grow up that big, some got a 100 GB file once.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=48931.0
Maybe the mod author notice it self and made an update of his mod soon.

I hope you enjoy playing with your mods now ! :-)

Ashran