Editing faction names (not your)

Started by BladeOfSharpness, June 25, 2019, 01:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BladeOfSharpness

Hi,

I'm trying to edit to something more immersive some of the factions I encounter. I would prefer for example to face the 'Crimson Brotherhood' pirates and not the 'Boomgungun Band'. That's personal, sure  :)

Two issues.

First, and rather surprisingly, Notepad++ seems unable to load even a 'start of the game' saved game, a mere 18 megas XML. What are you using guys? NPP is unresponsive 3 mn after trying to load such file, and I have a quite powerful computer.

Are factions names stored in clear in this file?

Kirby23590

If you want to change the faction name of the Pirates to "Crimson Brotherhood"

You can press CTRL+F in Notepad++ to easily find the "Boomgungun Band" and change it to the Crimson Brotherhood or Crimson Lance or Crimson Redguards and etc. Make sure it has the <def>Pirate</def> in it and chance the <name> holding the boomboom whatever to your faction name you want.

I don't know how your computer hates Notepad++ and i'm still happy with my Windows 7 Computer.
Maybe you have a lot of mods running in your game or your running a lot of things in your computer?

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

BladeOfSharpness

Well, even if I have only np++ running and no other software, for XML parsing it is slow. And it is working well for the rest. Plus my computer is really powerful I can assure you.

So my question was also to ask if someone knew an alternative to np++. A viable alternative, don't ask me to use Word :)

Canute

You should ask yourself what do you want/need.
Word isn't a texteditor, sure you can edit text documents too but his strenghts are at other areas.
If you just want view XML files, any browser works fine.
Only when you want to edit these XML files you need an editor.
Maybe you should tell us first what you don't like at np++, maybe you should use the default windows notepad first ! :-)

BladeOfSharpness

I know quite well what I want and need, I already said so in the previous posts.

Somehow, I find np++ slow to load up and edit a Rimworld saved game XML. A file of 18 MB takes one minute to load then another one to save for each edit.

By the way I use daily np++ for my job, it is a good software and I have nothing but praise for it. Except in this case.

So, to rephrase. Is someone using an alternative to np++, a free software than can edit XML? I would like to try it. If not, I'll probably program for myself a little saved game editor.

Canute

I use the SciTE-Lite , delivered with the AutoIt package, from time to time.
https://www.scintilla.org/

Tynan

EmEditor is great for huge text files. It'll do gigabyte+ files.

VSCode works fine too; it's free.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

BladeOfSharpness

Thanks a bunch everyone  :D

I installed EMEditor and read again my 18 Mb save. It took less one second to  load and parse (and edit). Just awesome!

BladeOfSharpness

I'm having trouble finding a pawn description. If I search him by name in the save, I get numerous references (to items and weapons etc.) but I'm failing to see where I can find his health status.