Sad tidings

Started by Pangaea, June 27, 2019, 03:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

Quote from: Shurp on July 12, 2019, 07:30:35 AM
They're probably not that good at playing horseshoes either.

"Ow!  That hurt!  Aim at the pin, not the back of my head!"

No wonder everyone hates him!

;D

As one of my two melee guys, he's been oddly inefficient at it lately. Looking at his stats, dodge chance is almost out the door, and DPS is at 1.something. Truly a staggering foe.

I've had some nasty bouts of animal plague and food poisoning as well. I sure hope he didn't take a wrong turn somewhere when his bowels needed emptying  :-\

Limdood

Hey, there's something to be said for a throwaway pawn.

1) everyone hates him, so if he dies, it's a colony mood boost...unless you kill him in a way the colony dislikes
2) all he has to do to lock down shooters is stand next to them and try to swing.  It doesn't matter if he hits
3) Sending him into melee will make it likely he'll get downed or killed, while providing distraction and decoy for the enemy.  If he's downed, set him to doctor care with no medicine and he's free doctor training to replace him

Net result - makes 1 or more raids easier, provides a mood boost upon death, and provides doctor training on failed death.

Pangaea

Sounds like I should avoid researching the Geneva Convention for a while longer   ;D

But at least he's more useful than this 32-pawn chased refugee.

Drafted and left IT there. Some raiders went into my killbox, one died, but they kidnapped the husk and ran off. Didn't expect that to actually work.

That said, I kinda like these raids. It's a challenge with so many dudes at once, and they are normal raids, so will channel into the killbox, where it's easier to deal with such overwhelming numbers. Only need to kill half as well, and may get a prisoners or two.

Limdood

see? now you're getting it!

With the hospitality mod, I'd keep that colonist actually.  16 social means another recruiter (even if staggeringly ugly means interactions with guests are starting at a negative, the interaction success rate will be high), she can hold a gun, and she can hold a broom and haul.  Also, at 16 social, that's probably the highest discount trader in most colonies.

Pangaea

Sheeesh. Not having the best of luck with wild animals. Tamara is in a daze after a siege where the whole colony was in hospital. She's now wandering about far up north, close to where the siege occurred. So there is a veritable mountain of corpses.

A cougar is hungry. Free food? Neh, screw that. Live bait is better.

At least she fought back despite the mental state, but in truth she never stood a chance. I sent some guys up to save her, but like the bear incident, it was too far away.

She's a pretty decent pawn, with 15 shooting, so... enter resurrector mech serum.

Wish we were able to produce the stuff. We might need more!  ;D :o

Canute

QuoteWish we were able to produce the stuff. We might need more!
You can either use a mod that allow you to produce them, but the research and resource requirement's are still pretty high so you can't produce them at early.

Alternative, Rim of Magic mod, the Priest class can have the ability to rescurrect dead pawn's like the serum.

Limdood

Quote from: Pangaea on July 14, 2019, 10:36:27 PM

I dunno...kinda like saving and reloading on any mishap, unlimited or consistent access to resurrection feels like it'd make the game a LOT less interesting.

Pangaea

Quote from: Limdood on July 15, 2019, 11:25:59 AM
Quote from: Pangaea on July 14, 2019, 10:36:27 PM

I dunno...kinda like saving and reloading on any mishap, unlimited or consistent access to resurrection feels like it'd make the game a LOT less interesting.

That sentence was meant more as a tongue-in-cheek joke really, and not an actual wish of mine. Considering my pawns are going down, nay, getting killed so frequently, we could have used more of the stuff. I have one left, though, so there is that.

Usually I prefer to play games mostly vanilla, without a ton of mods, and I'm doing the same now. A couple quality of life mods, but that's it. I like the plain game as it is, and it was the same with Banished. Loads of mods tend to unbalance the gameplay, whether by choice or accident, and I prefer to keep things mostly as they were planned by Tynan. At least for now. Maybe I want to be more adventerous on the mod side later. Easily being able to chop down mature trees is great though, and likewise with searching in Bill tabs.

Limdood

Fair enough....as someone who tended to play primarily with save scumming, and having just given the game a good run without using it (or dev mode) to rewind what i saw as "unfairness" - I was just so amazed at how much more i got attached to that colony.

I think I'm the guy who just finally realized he was making a "mistake" (not really...play how you want...but I definitely suggest trying it both ways at least once) and is now an outspoken advocate for avoiding the type of "mistake" I'd been making all along.

Pangaea

That is totally understandable. I've made the same mistake in the past, and sometimes still have an inclination towards it. But just like you have experienced, I have more fun by just dealing with the cards I'm dealt. If I reload after 'bad' events, the save feels tainted somehow.

There is always the next save :)

That said, when I get so attached to my colony and people in it, it would also be hard to take a total colony wipe, especially this deep into the game. But now I've set up with triple-walls around everything, and quite a few autocannons and mini-turrets throughout, so I hope we will survive a bit longer. Would be fun to launch these guys too. As always, though, the big issue is sieges and drop pod attacks. A bunch of mechs dropping on top of you, and there may not be time to flip on the power for the turrets. Can't have them on all the time, especially since I don't have cheap geyser power.

To be honest, I have a slight fantasy about equipping everybody with heaps of bionics -- just because. Means the body purist will flip out, but it would be kinda fun. And some people are almost there anyway...

Kinda sucked to lose the bionic spine in a botched operation though. That thing is NOT cheap! Excellent hospital bed with vitals monitor, doc alone had 103% success chance. And yet it failed "hilariously" and the spine was lost, and the patient got cut up in all sorts of ways. Wasn't the blind doctor either! :D

Shurp

Yeah, I tend to save scum on bionic installation... certain extreme events I'm not willing to leave up to a roll of crazy dice.  But I'll tolerate the random colonist getting killed or raid burning down half my solar cells.  Everyone has their own comfort level with how much chaos they're willing to live with.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.