[1.0] Megasloth wielding tools? It's destroying walls

Started by Pangaea, July 01, 2019, 12:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

A megasloth happened to self-tame in my game. Unfortunately it was early on and I didn't have anybody with enough animal skills to maintain its tameness, and eventually he became wild again. There are still the medicine icons btw.

Don't know if relevant, but still in year one and a toxic fallout happened.

A message pops up: a cougar hunting our pig. Huh? It's not allowed to go outside our walls, so that should be okay. But the cougar is running towards our camp, which manhunters like this usually don't do if the prey it out of reach. They then change targets to something wild.

Oh, but what is this? Why is there a hole in our wall? Maybe it was the manhunter elk from earlier? Hm, but he was only to our south, and ended his days on a trap. I'll fix the wall at least.

Nightfall so not much action, and then I notice previously self-tamed megasloth (now wild, but with the name "Megasloth 1") hauling ass somewhere. Probably hungry, I figure, so will stop at some bramble or something. Strange. He's running past a few. Up to our walls? Why?

Then I see flames sparkling, as if a pawn was fixing a wall. But the megaslot is destroying it. Soon after there is a hole in our wall again. But he doesn't escape out. He's now content, and starts wandering about the place, before going to sleep. Very odd.

Edit: I do have three mods running, although I can't imagine it has anything to do with the bug.
-Fluffy's Work Tab
-Rimworld search agency
-More Harvest Designators

Managed to squeeze in compressed savefile, and the log file. The log doesn't appear to have much useful, but it's the one I found /tmp/ (I'm on Linux).

Below is a picture from shortly after the misdeed.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Canute

Hi,
thats a common mechanic since a few updates.
When any pawn (animals,neutral,enemies) can't find a path to their exit they will destroy wall/mountains to reach their way.
This is to prevent that you can prison them with wall's and let them starve to death (common praxis with caravans before that update).

Kirby23590

It's not a bug...

It's a way to prevent things like starving the animal out or people who are trapped to find a way out.

Probably your place doesn't have any food or any grass that not fully grown... So it broke out by mining it out...

People have been in the past alphas exploiting trapping animals like thrumbos or trade caravans to easily get their horns or free stuff... There's a reason why they now do that...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Pangaea

Quote from: Canute on July 01, 2019, 02:29:40 AM
Hi,
thats a common mechanic since a few updates.
When any pawn (animals,neutral,enemies) can't find a path to their exit they will destroy wall/mountains to reach their way.
This is to prevent that you can prison them with wall's and let them starve to death (common praxis with caravans before that update).

Thanks, didn't know about that 'feature', which was apparently needed to try to constrain gamers' exploitative nature :D

The walled area of my base is pretty huge, but maybe there wasn't much food around right then. The time I noticed him breaking a wall he didn't leave, though, but wandered back inside the base. Kept him around for a long while after this, to observe (and didn't dare to take him on), and he didn't tear down any more walls. Guess he found food (including in our crop fields... grr).