Regrettably, idiot hunter behavior

Started by BladeOfSharpness, July 01, 2019, 01:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BladeOfSharpness

That's a pity you still have to monitor your hunters in 1.0. I just had my hunter who fired at his target rhino at a distance of ... two tiles.

Guess what happened?

I don't get that, really. This is release version!

Canute

Mosttimes is based on the weapons.
So what weapons your hunter used at this time ?
And did you use any mods ?

BladeOfSharpness

Ah, the 'that's the mod fault' excuse again!

I'm using a rifle...

Canute

It can be a mod fault, because i didn't notice such a behavior at my side.
Mosttimes the hunter use a longer range i would use if i draft him.
So i never saw/notice that a hunter use a rifle to hunt from 2 tiles away.

B@R5uk

It happens sometimes. Likely because of complex terrain and fast moving target. But 2 tiles is a little bit of extreme.

Hans Lemurson

Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Kirby23590

I prefer drafting pawns to hunt in groups...

Last time i got an idiot who accidentally shot an Thrumbo and loss a limb from it... You just have to micro them under your control and avoid hunting accidents from your shooters who might miss the broadside of the barn and hit larry who's just training the huskies...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

TheMeInTeam

I wish it weren't so, but hunting w/o using draft hunting remains a false choice in Rimworld.  It is strictly more risky and strictly less efficient to use the automated hunting feature, each by significant margins.

B@R5uk

Quote from: Kirby23590 on July 02, 2019, 09:43:18 AM
Same here!

I prefer to draft 4-6 pawns with LMG and assault rifles and sweep all the map while dogs haul carcasses into freezer. Depending on hunt luck one sally is enough to fill up stocks for one season or even a year.

zizard

It's just because the algorithm is dumb. The hunter moves to a tile at an appropriate distance and then doesn't update the destination when the animal moves unless it goes out of range.

Limdood

Quote from: Kirby23590 on July 02, 2019, 09:43:18 AM

Last time i got an idiot who accidentally shot an Thrumbo and loss a limb from it... You just have to micro them under your control and avoid hunting accidents from your shooters who might miss the broadside of the barn and hit larry who's just training the huskies...

The problem is that this shouldn't be necessary.

The game has hunter behavior that is overly dangerous and punishing, but the game has the system in place and has all the support in place so that people use the system and are encouraged to do so.  The hunting job shouldn't be SO MUCH less efficient and safe than drafting and direct-shooting.

If the "workaround" to an issue in the system is to COMPLETELY avoid the system in its entirety, that's a problem.

B@R5uk

Quote from: zizard on July 02, 2019, 03:45:39 PMThe hunter moves to a tile at an appropriate distance and then doesn't update the destination when the animal moves unless it goes out of range.
This is an accurate observation but there is more to it. Hunter has to take into account weapon's warmup time and animal's speed value and direction. Both to be able to shoot animal before it goes out of range or goes too near to be save hurting it. That is not an easy problem to solve considering animal's random movement.

Quote from: Limdood on July 03, 2019, 12:28:10 PMIf the "workaround" to an issue in the system is to COMPLETELY avoid the system in its entirety, that's a problem.
Well, when to avoid the system is quite simple and provides some fun then why not? It's not entirely a problem IMHO. But when system FORCES YOU TO DO meaningless stupid things in a nonoptimal way then THAT IS a problem. Like when you are forced to nitpick every single blighted cell of crop to be cut while pawns set to growing clearly can do that themselves (It's not like there is an alternative anyway). Or like you are forced to remove growing zones so that pawns do not run to gather ripe crops right away. Certainly it's not a big deal to add button to "forbid to gather" like the already existing button to "forbid to sow". You do not have to break your mind working out some nice hunting algo which anyway not every one will appreciate.

LWM

The "more harvest designators" mod (IIRC) has a "cut blighted crops" designator which makes that much less of an option, because you're not the only one who thought that was dumb.

As far as hunting goes.....what would be a better algorithm?

I mean, a mod to "fix" hunting isn't impossible.  If people can put in effort together, it's even more possible.

--LWM

Canute

What is the better algorithm ?
Like choping tree's kill all for hunting marked prey and don't haul back ?
Work's fine once you got hauling animals, but previously ?

Personaly i think the hunting is fine like it is.
Just don't assign anyone with an assault rifle as hunter.
Pawn's with some animal skill and a bolt-action or sniper rifle do a good job.
And when you got a herd of elephants or other animals, yes you should do a hunting party for that.
Not to speak about the mod "Hunt for me" who let your animals hunt for you, and they even form their own hunting party for stronger animals.

B@R5uk

I have my own use for current hunting system. I set all the zero revenge chance animals to be hunted (preferrably very small), give pawn with low shooting skill most crooked autopistol and set him/her to hunting until the skill level will be some 10-11. Well, there is a chance that unlucky sod will miss the target and hit some ryno to get himself killed, but there is allways save/load combo. =D