Challenge ideas for a triple-solo run

Started by account13123, July 05, 2019, 11:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

account13123

I got a bit bored of Rimworld and after taking a break I'm working on trimming down my mod list to make the game harder and also putting together a challenge run to try.

My general idea is a modified crashlanded start, where 2 of the starting pawns immediately pack up and found two nearby settlements. They can trade with each other, but each has to do all its own labor, recruiting etc. Only 1 colony can do a given quest/mission, and any particular rewards(weapons, artifacts etc) belong only to that colony. The starting gear will be modified so it can be split 3 ways, e.g. each colony gets 1 animal and 1 bolt-action, but resources like steel and wood are simply split. I'll also be using a mod to reduce map size, probably 100x100, which should reduce the benefits of sheer acreage- though tbh I play like that anyways so I can zoom all the way out without too much lag.

I like these rules as a start but I'm looking for input as to what I can add, and also advice how I should handle a couple things. For one, my tendency is to say that any of the three getting wiped is a game over; alternately if one of the others is far enough in to have a second pawn the lost colony might be reclaimed? I'm not sure I want to allow that. I'm also not sure if, once my colonies start getting access to pods, I want to allow them to aid in each others' defense during raids. A question I'm not sure how to handle is the end- if I get to ship-building, I think only one colony should build it. But, should the other colonies not come until the reactor is spun up, or should they all make the last stand together?

Please let me know what you think, if there are similar challenges others have done, or any ideas you have. Thanks!

Shurp

Could you be clearer about what you're trying to achieve with triple-solo?

If the goal is to just have a harder start, you could just modify the crashlanded scenario to be a single colonist with 1/3rd the stuff.  I don't see how there's any added entertainment value to the micromanagement headache of running three of these games simultaneously, especially since you seem to want them to be independent.

To me, what sounds more interesting would be intentionally *not* running them independently -- taking on the added difficulty of running three single colonies initially for the long term benefit of having three sprawling settlements supporting each other.  Why are you eschewing this?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Canute

So far i understood, he start with the crashlanded scenario.
Create 2 caravan's with 1 pawn and 1/3 of the stuff and create 2 other colonies.
(With developer mode on, you instantly can form the caravan, and instantly move the caravan to the destination, so you don't have to wait for the travel time).
So he will have 3 colonies with 1 pawn.
But i don't think it is more difficult, just alot more managment.

If you want it harder, try out some other biomes.
Desert,Ice then you will have problems to feed your pawn's.
Sea ice is the ultimate challenge, no natural resources too.

Edit:
And i forget to mention, when you want it more difficult from the raiding side, try out some other Storyteller.
Wave Survival Mode
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=48215.0

B@R5uk

Quote from: Canute on July 06, 2019, 03:43:51 AMSea ice is the ultimate challenge, no natural resources too.
If you allow me to say I will call wind and sunlight as natural resources, but it's difficult to convert them into food without soil. A lot of steel and components are needed not to say appropriate research.

Extreme desert with summer temperature above 60 is nice challenge too. Especially when heat wave hits. Outdoors it may be 80+ inferno! It was this biome when I fall in love with fallout-like airtight mountain bases. But it much easier than icesheet as there is some soil you can grow potatoes on during beginning of the game.

Limdood

I kinda like the triple solo idea....I always struggle with solo starts, because it's boring.  Things happen at a snail's pace and i spend a lot of time, even in triple or (dev mode) quadruple speed just watching my guy stand at a research bench.

Your multiple solo colonies idea sounds cool, since it'd mean that when dude #1 is sitting doing nothing interested for the next 3 days, I can set up tasks in the other colonies.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Shurp on July 05, 2019, 11:53:20 PM
Could you be clearer about what you're trying to achieve with triple-solo?

If the goal is to just have a harder start, you could just modify the crashlanded scenario to be a single colonist with 1/3rd the stuff.  I don't see how there's any added entertainment value to the micromanagement headache of running three of these games simultaneously, especially since you seem to want them to be independent.

To me, what sounds more interesting would be intentionally *not* running them independently -- taking on the added difficulty of running three single colonies initially for the long term benefit of having three sprawling settlements supporting each other.  Why are you eschewing this?

While I'm not so sure about this solo, it sounds like it would be pretty fun in MP, and the MP mod worked respectably for me when I tried it recently.

Actually playing on split maps like this is recommended in the MP mod IMO, so you don't have things like "stop cooking simple meals at X count" failing because the other guy has "enough" simple meals.