Scenario: Blasphemous Outcast

Started by B@R5uk, July 10, 2019, 12:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B@R5uk

Not sure I should share this as I don't want to be embarrassed too much, but I sure want some comments and may be gramma correction. So this:

Title: Blasphemous Outcast
Summary: Chased out of your home tribe you are now on your own way to your own goals. Where it will lead you?
Description: You are too young and too curious for your own good. Not to mention was born under bad omen. So, when you sneaked into secret area behind tribe's shrine and learnt "How To Harness Lightning" by accidentally activating strange religious artefact, it was no surprise that patience of tribe elders ran out. They stripped you naked, smeared in tar, then in feathers and chased with all the tribe throwning stones. You was not sure whether they tried to just force you away or to kill...
Game start dialog: Afraid to be killed you ran for days. Now, that you are sure to be left behind, it's time to think of survival in long term. Then decide what to do with your life. Somehow you just remember bedtime fairytales about men spitting fire and flying to the stars. There is so much to learn about the world that elders do not approve.

It seems the only one who does not care what blasphemy you do or where you run to is your faithful dog.

Player Faction: New Tribe
Starting people: 1 chosen from 1
Arrival method: Standing
Allowed age: 20-25
Start with research: Electricity
Forced trait: Fast learner
Forced trait: Great memory
Forced trait: Kind
Naked
Forced health condition: Malnutrition 0.20-0.40
Need Level: Food 0.00-0.10
Need Level: Rest 0.00-0.25
Start whith animal: Husky 1

[attachment deleted due to age]

Limdood

sadly, you can only set one forced trait overall.  You'd be better off setting NO forced traits, and using prepare carefully mod for your starting pawn.

This just seems like the "naked brutality" scenario with slower research though.

B@R5uk

Quote from: Limdood on July 10, 2019, 02:10:54 PM
sadly, you can only set one forced trait overall.
No, all three traits work. Some times there is even fourth undergrounder trait that come from bio stories and can not be ousted like all the other traits I don't like.

Quote from: Limdood on July 10, 2019, 02:10:54 PMThis just seems like the "naked brutality" scenario with slower research though.
This is exatcly it! But more than research speed being adjusted I prefer some starting researches and stuff you can not make while being outlander, like war masks and Game Of Ur board.

Limdood

Quote from: B@R5uk on July 10, 2019, 02:30:34 PM
Quote from: Limdood on July 10, 2019, 02:10:54 PM
sadly, you can only set one forced trait overall.
No, all three traits work. Some times there is even fourth undergrounder trait that come from bio stories and can not be ousted like all the other traits I don't like.

Are you sure?  I seem to remember trying to set a game where everyone had a set of two or three traits that the game wouldn't let me add more than one.  If so, awesome!

I'm not a very big fan of naked brutality  due to it's dependence on an (at least somewhat) temperate biome, and the boredom I feel when I'm running just one pawn (I spend a LOT of time watching them sit at a research bench), but to each their own.

I actually feel like tribal would give an easier start than a normal spacer colony, just due to the existence of the cheap Ur board game, the powerful and easily made tribal headgear, and the backgrounds lending themselves incredibly well to those early days, with good planting, construction, crafting, shooting, and animal skills being very common in the tribal backgrounds - plus even in a sparsely wooded biome, they still have access to planting trees from day 1. 

I don't see any problems with the scenario as listed, other than the (at least I thought so) triple forced trait, and the possibility that your starting colonist might collapse before he's able to accomplish anything

Pangaea

One of the reasons I like to play with tribals is the lack of electricity, so I wouldn't want that starting tech. But we play how we like ofc :)

And at least you have some food in the form of the hairy beast.

Shurp

Maybe you could turn this into an easier version of "Naked Brutality" by using this plotline:

"You snuck into an ancient tomb and discovered an ancient rod of death.  The village elders banished you for your crime."

Starting Gear: Charge Rifle

Does that sound *too* easy?  Keep in mind you're still alone, naked, hungry, and low-tech.  (Strip away the electricity research too, that makes things too easy, right?)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

TheMeInTeam

^ Charge rifle with bad or average traits is worse than having nothing at all on the pawn + no extra techs beyond tribal with good traits.

Super immune, sanguine, masochist are major winners for tribal/naked brutality on merciless.

For just about any early encounter you can get them to tap out by simply waiting for them to target something other than your pawn, peeking + shooting with bow, then hiding behind door again.  Bonus points for letting them get downed by bleeding (no high-odds death check) so you can guaranteed strip for clothing and/or try to recruit a prisoner (recruiting non-tribals as tribal sucks though, probably not worth trying to feed non-tribal for recruitment early on with a NB tribe start).

You don't need prepare carefully or other mods, just avoid rolling traits like depressive and such which can just straight up end the game early too easily.  Having a competent cooking skill helps too, food poisoning is a crippling hit to early productivity with 1 pawn.

Shurp

I was thinking more in terms of acquiring food and clothing.  A charge rifle makes it relatively easy to shoot up some boars and turn them into sausages and Flintstone duds.  I wouldn't want to try that with a short bow.  Even caribou seem have a high propensity to stampede pawns.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

B@R5uk

Charge rifle is no good. Don't like it.

Hunting problems? That's why I added husky Tobick! Starting animal is bounded and that mean master has 100% chance to train everything regardless of pawn's animal skill. Just 3 coaching and dog will assist in hunting and fighting raids. Another 7 and everything pawn don't have time to haul will be in place in no time!

Quote from: Pangaea on July 10, 2019, 05:54:23 PMAnd at least you have some food in the form of the hairy beast.
Che!

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on July 12, 2019, 10:38:23 AMSuper immune, sanguine, masochist are major winners for tribal/naked brutality on merciless...

You don't need prepare carefully or other mods, just avoid rolling traits like depressive and such which can just straight up end the game early too easily.
I added forced traits I like exactly to supplant bad traits. Someone else can easily choose anything else they like. You just need to open in-game editor.

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on July 12, 2019, 10:38:23 AMrecruiting non-tribals as tribal sucks though, probably not worth trying to feed...
Why is that??? O_O I successfully recruited every useful pawn, tribal or not.

Quote from: Limdood on July 10, 2019, 02:50:54 PM...and the boredom I feel when I'm running just one pawn (I spend a LOT of time watching them sit at a research bench)...
Well, there is sooooooo much to do, that I usually do not start researching unless colony already has 3 or more pawns. Mountain bases require a lot of man-hours to build. So year, tribal start is easier for me this way as there is every research I need at the start of the game.

TheMeInTeam

If you're the opposite of tribal vs non-tribal you have a huge base recruit difficulty spike.  For tribal recruiting a tribal prisoner is often in the 60-75% range on recruitment, whereas a pirate will have 99%.

You can overcome this in time with good social skill, nice prisoner rooms, etc.  Early in the game those things aren't available and it will take many days to recruit an early off-faction prisoner, badly straining resources when they're most scarce.  Later on sure.

You need to be closer to hit with charge rifle than with recurve bow btw, and you don't need that many bow hits for the animal to bleed out.  Charge rifle is faster for hunting, but I'm not convinced it's materially less risky.  Also most biomes have either agave or berries, so being forced to hunt immediately is the territory of deserts, ice sheet, or sea ice.  Once you have a little time, you can make structures that let you hunt herds relatively safely.  These have been proven possible to win with tribal NB, but the method(s) used are tedious.

Hunting in general is tedious because using automated hunting is a false choice and draft hunting to maintain food still requires a lot of manual inputs inconsistent with just about any other work task in Rimworld, with a larger penalty if you don't do it (pawn death rather than inefficiency).