Small freezes / fps drops with increased frequency when speeding up game

Started by RayZoar-Z, July 10, 2019, 06:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varius

Hey folks.
I've only literally created an account today to post and mention than I to do experience the same issues which lead me to do an unmeasurable amount of troubleshooting in the past.
To be frank, I've experienced these issues since the inception of this thread and I merely watched silently in hopes that a solution would be found or possibly the mention of stone unturned that I had missed. I wanted to make an account and subscribe to this thread in hopes that one day, metaphorically - salvation knocks.
I've been playing this game since it's the release of 17 & 18 and when it hit 1.0, I immediately noticed the stuttering and the plummet of performance.
To sum up - I'm posting to aid in further visibility of this issue, voicing my concern and eagerly waiting for a solution!

ruPal

I think that most of us experience issue when we move camera. In that same moment camera jumps and that causes functional issues. Hope that it is possible to stop all input tracking milliseconds before GC and activate input tracking as soon as GC done his job. That will atleast make this issue less annoying since camera stops jumping.

Kaelen Mosar

Quote from: ruPal on January 17, 2020, 10:22:23 AM
I think that most of us experience issue when we move camera. In that same moment camera jumps and that causes functional issues. Hope that it is possible to stop all input tracking milliseconds before GC and activate input tracking as soon as GC done his job. That will atleast make this issue less annoying since camera stops jumping.

it has nothing to do with camera movement, you may recognize it better if moving but it is happening regardless if you are moving the camera or holding it static check youtube rimworld stutter or freeze etc.

kelmvor

another person jumping to say i have this issue and it really makes the game hard to enjoy, happens all speeds, vanilla game, modded game. Recently started playing again is when the issue first arose. been looking all over to roll back my version of the game because whatever version I was playing last summer worked fine.

kelmvor

Whether its good or bad news for some, I fixed the issue I was having with the stuttering every few seconds. After testing everything I could think of I searched some old hard drives for an old install of the game to check the previous version I had on there. It ended up being 1.0.2282. Tested it with no mods running it independently without steam. No stutters. Threw all my mods on there from my steam mod files. No stutters. Not the ideal fix but after suffering for days I can finally play the game again.

kelmvor

yah problem still there. has this unity thing always been an issue and I seriously just never noticed the massive stutters?

Jibbles

Quote from: kelmvor on February 10, 2020, 10:13:17 PM
yah problem still there. has this unity thing always been an issue and I seriously just never noticed the massive stutters?

In my experience, only started after b18 -outside late game colonies.

kelmvor

For me it's juat since I tried playing again after a year. Been trying to fix it for a week or more

Brightsideguy

Quote from: Tynan on November 20, 2019, 09:35:56 PM
That's some hardcode Steam hacking. Nice.

The versions are:

Oct 1, 2019    1.0.2408     main default branch
May 27, 2019    1.0.2282       
Apr 7, 2019   1.0.2231   
Jan 20, 2019    1.0.2150
Jan 16, 2019     1.0.2096     beta branch: catalina_test

So basically you're saying something happened between April 7 and May 27 which causes lag spikes.

We didn't change any content during that period, the only change was optimization to game loading as described in this blog post. However that code shouldn't in principle do anything during play at all; it only made loading faster. But, bugs can be weird.

What I'd be interested in is if anyone else can try those same observations and see what happens to you. The beta branch catalina_test is version 2096, so you don't need to use the Steam console to get it.

Anyone know if the catalina_test branch was removed?  I wanted to test this out for the thread, but can't tell if its gone or I'm just blind.

[Also dealing with the stutter problem for a while with vanilla 1.0. Clearing windows standby, as suggested by others, did nothing.]
My main mod: Gerzee Race

SergeshD123

Now that this thread has mentioned it, I can definitely say at least for me that something goes wrong between the older versions and the full release. I can't remember the exact version, but I played roughly the same mods between A16-B18 as I do during the early days of 1.0 and I never suffered any stutter. As soon as 1.0 hit (can't comment on B19 as I took a hiatus during this), the game started stuttering. This can't be due to the mods because as I said, I used the same mods on the release version as I did in the Alpha and Beta versions.

kelmvor

I wont say I'm glad its happening to others cuz this sux I,wanna playit again. But at least I know I'm not crazy

Kaelen Mosar

The game now uses an incremental garbage collector, which should remove the periodic frame hitches that would appear when a lot of memory was allocated and released. However, note that there is still a cost to memory allocations, so modders should still try to reduce allocation wherever possible

Omg

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Kaelen Mosar

I will for sure be testing as soon as enough mods will be updated to 1.1 and 1.1 leaving unstable <3

But i thought just this point in the changelog aimed straight towards this issue that people expirienced between after flawless B versions of the game.

So if it was aimed towards thank you if not.. what the hell is goin on :D

moyashii

I've done some light testing every now and again in Vanilla and so far, the stuttering due to GC seems far less noticeable, if not completely absent when compared to before. Even Vanilla prev. to 1.1 still had some noticeable stuttering every ~60 seconds. After a few (admittedly not very long) games and experimenting without any mods it's still buttery smooth.

I almost can't believe it. We'll need to wait for more complex mods to be updated to see how much of an effect it had on them I suppose, but if the issue is resolved, then I'm very thankful! I'm glad we had a lot of people to shine some light on this issue, and for your quick action on this matter, Tynan.