Small freezes / fps drops with increased frequency when speeding up game

Started by RayZoar-Z, July 10, 2019, 06:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayZoar-Z

I don't remember when this started, but, starting immediately when my colonists spawn (and every time I start a new game), there's short freezes (less than half a second) with vanilla gameplay. At speed 3 they happen every 60 seconds, at speed 2 every 105 seconds, at speed 1 every 130 seconds and at speed 0 every 165 seconds. I can also see my fps drop in the main menu from 144 to somewhere around 130 every 105 seconds.

When I enable my mods: At speed 3 the freezes happen every 5 seconds, at speed 2 every 9 seconds, at speed 1 every 18 seconds and at speed 0 every 39 seconds.

There's no errors in the debug menu.
My gpu and cpu temperatures look fine.
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Gaming OC
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

I tried halving the active mods over and over to see if one was a problem, but I think it's the number of mods that makes the freezes happen more frequently. I deleted all my Rimworld files and reïnstalled it. I verified the integrity of the game files. I deleted all pawns, animals and buildings on a map. I also started Rimworld on a different pc in the same house:

GPU: GTX 960
CPU: I7-4790

It was on the same steam profile with the same mods downloaded and it had the same freezes on vanilla and with mods. I don't know why the freezes happen, is it because I have too many mods downloaded (even when I don't have them active) or something with my steam account? It probably isn't hardware since it happens on both pc's right?

I would be ok with my fps lowering late-game because of all the mods, but I can't play 3 speed like I usually do now, because there's a freeze every 5 seconds.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Canute

Hi,
sorry there is nothing we can help you.
You use many mods, and serveral are real big ones.
The freezes comes because one or more mod's are calculating something.
Since no error's show up it is hard to impossible to tell which ones.

You can check the mod discussion of each mod about lag/freeze maybe you find something.
But i don't think the freezes don't appear right at a new colony, so you can't experiment with the modlist.

You can try a mod sorting tool, maybe it help's to arrange them it a different order but i wouldn't count on this.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=48518.0

RayZoar-Z

Thanks for the reply and the tool, but as I said it happens with vanilla too. The mods only make the freezes happen even more. Or do you mean that I'm subscribed to too many mods from steam and they're causing the freezes even when they're not active (when I only enable 'core' in de mod list)?

Canute

Sorry, that i overread the vanilla thing.
When it happen at plain vanilla gameplay i don't think it is a too many mod thing.

So it should have some other issues.
You should look more at your system. Any other tools that run at the background. Video capture,overlays.
Maybe update or downgrade the videodriver (i got the same like you and never got problems, but didn't update the drivers lately).

But when i look at the freezing interval you describe, rimworld is calculating something every 18 seconds at speed 1. But is is suspecious that it even freeze at speed 0.
And how you notice it freezes at speed 0 ?
That point stronger at the system then rimworld.
Long time ago i got overall freezes at my system that came from the mouse (don't ask my how/why), but with a new one they were gone.

RayZoar-Z

After testing a lot of things, I found out that the memory usage displayed by the mod: RuntimeGC, shows it going up to around 950 Mb and then resetting to around 650 in a loop. When this happens, I get the freeze. (In speed 0 I notice it by panning with the camera which then stops moving for a while). The speed at which the memory usage goes from 650 to 950 are the intervals that I wrote in my first message. (so every 5 seconds with mods at speed 3). Also, when I click the 'Reclaim Memory' tool the same thing happens: It goes back to around 650 Mb and the freeze happens. Removing RuntimeGC doesn't help. Maybe this is useful: The memory usage in my taskbar stays around 2.8 GB.

How can I try to fix this? I don't think hardware is the problem since the same thing happens on a different pc I've tried it on (same mods and steam account). I'm only noticing freezes in Rimworld.

Canute

Didn't you allready said, the same freezes happen on vanilla gameplay ?
So removing any Mod ofcouse don't help.

And when it happen without any mod's too and the majority of the player don't have similar freezes.
So the issue these problem is based on your system. Not the hardware but software.
Installed tools, driver.

RayZoar-Z

I tried disabling all processes (also antivirus) besides Rimworld, but that doesn't fix it. I also checked my hardware again but that's all working fine. Then I found that some people had the same exact problem (by searching things like: 'rimworld freezing during garbage collection') and that it happened when Rimworld became 64-bit (B19). I think before that was also the last time I played (Rimworld ran fine then). Rolling back to B18 and A17 doesn't fix the freezes. Is there any way I could run Rimworld in 32-bit again to see if it works?  Or do you (or anyone else) know if and why 64-bit could be a problem with memory leaks or something?

With only Core and RuntimeGC (to see the memory usage) active, the memory usage is 1mb/sec at minimum and it keeps going from around 260 to around 350 (after a while from 270 to 360 etc.), meaning I get a freeze every 1.5 minutes. Also happens after clean install of Rimworld. Is this normal? If it isn't, my mods aren't the problem but they just make it worse right? And if it's also not my hardware or software (which I checked) and because the freezes also happen on a different pc I've tried it on, the problem is either in Rimworld, like the 64-bit thing or something with my steam account maybe?

Canute

Maybe check what software you use on both PC's together. I still hardly believe there is the problem.
Currently you are the only one which report such issue.

If you use steam you can decide somewhere to use 32 or 64, like you can select to use unstable version.

RayZoar-Z

I disabled all background processes (except steam because Rimworld would close and necessary windows processes) and nothing changes. Here is someone who might have the same problem (Frame drops in the main menu and when paused like me + more freezes when more mods, but for him the game speed doesn't make the freezes more frequent and for me it does a little bit). https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/cfnk31/amount_of_mods_causing_fps_drops_even_in_main/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Something else that I found is that memory usage (displayed by runtimegc) goes from 1mb/s to 4mb/s when I open the work tab, to 12mb/s when I open the factions tab and to 15mb/s when I open the research tab (other tabs also change it). With no mods except runtimegc and after a clean install.
The memory usage then keeps going from 185mb to 230mb and resets with a freeze. (so a freeze every 3 seconds with research tab open on vanilla).

Also I can't find the 32-bit option, which I don't think exists anymore?
And could a steam reïnstall help?

Canute

I wouldn't do a steam reinstall since that uninstall don't remove old files.
Just delete the rimworld installation folder and let steam repair/reinstall it.
You can delete the config folder too (if you don't find the saved data folder, there is a button at the option to open it with the windows explorer).
There is still a 32 bit version, but don't ask me where you can find it at steam. I think around the area you can select which version (1.0,B19,B18...) you want to play.

dragonid1423

I just want to check in with my experience, and I am having the exact same issue. I've tried reinstalling the game (including purging it from the computer and installing it on a new drive), which includes deleting all the config files straight from the folders as well. After reinstalling the game, and booting it again, still the same process has happened.
Exactly as Rayzoar's found, the game will stutter/freeze for about half a second, consistently, at the same time, in intervals.
I've looked through Dev-mode logs, Hugslib logs, and Verbose Logs, and by all accounts, the game is running fine. This appears to be an extremely rare issue that I can only put down as some form of Hardware issue.
For anyone who finds this that has this issue, or for Rayzoar, these are my exact specs, I'm sharing more than one would usually in attempt to find a single thing we have in common:
Motherboard: Strix Z27OE Gaming Motherboard
CPU: i7-7700k, 4.20HGz, x64-bit
GPU: GTX 960 (4GB VRAM)
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Disks: 7200RPM 1TB HDD, 1TB Sandisk SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid
OS: Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1803, Build 17134.829
Peripherals: j5create USB hub, Targus USB hub, Logitech C310 Webcam, Orion G910 Keyboard, Corsair Void Pro Wireless Headset, Logitech G502 Mouse. (Usually it'd be dumb to list peripherals, but Planetary Annihilation crashes with an Afterglow headset in, so you never know, right?)

Thanks

EDIT: How horrifying, we both use a GTX 960. I really hope that's not the issue.
EDIT2: I have a friend with a GTX 960, I gave him the same version I use, had him run it, and reproduced it immediately. If the issue stems from the GTX 960, we certainly need to contact Tynan.
Sometimes I can hear the screams of the alpaca. I'm serious, please help me they're fighting again.

Canute

I would try to use different video driver at first.
Try to use the latest one, then try an older/much older one.

dragonid1423

Turns out I was on a very old driver in the 350s versions, and then I updated to 431.60, though, issues remained. I attempted to find old legacy drivers in attempt to see what I could do, but there's nothing before the 400s in drivers for the GTX 960 available to download.
Was worth a shot, I suppose.
Sometimes I can hear the screams of the alpaca. I'm serious, please help me they're fighting again.

Canute

Yep it was.
Since you used a very old and a new driver, i don't think it is a driver issue.
It still can be an issue with the GTX 960 and Unity.
But it still could have some other issue.
Since you got someone you can compare it, what hardware/software/tools your friend and you got the same ? Maybe start to look there.
Long time ago i got an USB mouse which cause complete PC freezes too. Or when your HDD got a sleep mode, the wake up can do some strange things too, since window's wait for the HDD access.

dragonid1423

I asked, and it turns out we have the same keyboard, I am going to try and unplug it and use one of my backup keyboards instead...
Just checked, no cigar. He and I cross referenced our software on the keyboard as well, but we both use completely different driver dates. And of course, Rimworld only started having this problem recently, when I had the keyboard previously as well - granted, the same can be said for the GTX 960.
We're using different Screens, Cords, Motherboards, CPUs, Mice, Headsets, USB Hubs, etc. The only thing in common we have is Windows 10 64bit, GTX 960, and the G910 Orion Keyboard.
Haven't the foggiest on the source of the problem. He and I also went through the details list in Task Manager and compared background processes, we have little in common other than the big commons ones: Battle.Net, Steam, Malwarebytes, Nvidia, and of course all the Windows 10 things.
I feel like I'm on the end of the rope here, what else could possibly cause this?