Game stops responding after one year

Started by Vehicular_Zombicide, July 15, 2019, 02:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vehicular_Zombicide

I've tried multiple new saves, but for some reason Rimworld always freezes after the first few quandums and stops responding, necessitating the shutdown of the program. Reloading the save does not help, either- it still freezes around roughly the same time.

Judging by multiple new games, it usually freezes around Quandums 2- 5. When this happens, windows throws the "program not responding" message, which appears to last indefinitely- I lost patience and closed Rimworld after 30 minutes for the longest one I tried to out wait. I'm not sure what could be causing this, and with this error only appearing after several hours of gameplay on a new game a binary mod search would take literal days to carry out. Does anyone know what the issue might be? Attached is my mod load order.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Canute

Hi,
some logfiles would be more helpful then just the modlist.
Since you use hugslib, the green "Share logs" button or CTRL-F12 at the logwindow.
And the original logfile, after Rimworld don't respond anymore (for windows the output_log.txt at the _data folder at your rimworld installation).

Vehicular_Zombicide

Quote from: Canute on July 15, 2019, 04:18:30 AM
Hi,
some logfiles would be more helpful then just the modlist.
Since you use hugslib, the green "Share logs" button or CTRL-F12 at the logwindow.
And the original logfile, after Rimworld don't respond anymore (for windows the output_log.txt at the _data folder at your rimworld installation).

Okay, I started yet another game and it stopped working when I tried to initiate a raid with points via the dev menu. Oddly enough, the last entry in the output log references the Bumper Crop event from More Faction Interaction- a mod which I've never had issues with before, and I already reinstalled once. Granted, I have reordered my mod list since then to fix a separate bug, in accordance with the Rim of Magic guide for load order.

Attached is the output log. I had to compress it as it was too large to attach normally, at roughly 2400 kb. I've also attached the link from the log I uploaded prior to the freeze via Hugslib down below.

https://git.io/fjX96

Canute

I think you use the DRM-free version and installed the mods manualy.
So you don't have the latest version of the mods.
At first you should check if you can get updates for the mods. Special for More Faction Interaction which cause the latest error.
- RIMMSLoadUp, you don't need that mod anymore the latest Rimworld version got it included.
About reorder the modlist, maybe you should try out
Modsorter
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=48518.0
use the windows executable instead to install python.

And Mod's arn't perfect, special not when they interact with other mods.
You got alot of XML and other error's right after Rimworld start.
You should try to eliminate these error with disabling mods, or maybe reset the modlist and rebuild them at small batches so you can notice early if a mod cause trouble after activation.

Vehicular_Zombicide

What am I doing wrong here? Whenever I try to run RWMS I get the following error:

** RWMS 0.94.7 by shakeyourbunny ***************************************************************************************
bugs: https://github.com/shakeyourbunny/RWMS/issues
database updates: visit https://github.com/shakeyourbunny/RWMSDB/issues

loading database.

Database (v4, date: Sun Jul 14 17:31:36 2019) successfully loaded.
2879 known mods, 107 contributors.
Top contributors: shakeyourbunny (697), randomnone (205), Black Goat (159), pigand (125), czarneski77 (120),

Loading and parsing ModsConfig.xml
*** fatal error: could not find ModsConfig.xml; detected: 'C:\Users\James\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios\Saves/ModsConfig.xml'

Press ENTER to terminate the program.

I've attached the RWMS config file if that helps. Also, I just updated More Faction Interaction a few days ago, since I thought that perhaps an out of date version was the culprit- but it did not help.

LWM

I suspect that since something is making the game hang, the log will show only the last mod to successfully do something.  It may be the Bumper Crop set the stage...but probably not.

You may end up having to brute-force it, disabling large numbers of your mods at once to see if the problem persists, until you get a better handle on what it is.  Unless there are logs that are more helpful?

At least it's a persistent problem you can reproduce?

--LWM

Vehicular_Zombicide

Quote from: LWM

At least it's a persistent problem you can reproduce?

--LWM

Yeah, but it takes about four hours of gameplay before that problem occurs. That means I'm looking at at least a months worth of debugging attempts with a binary search.

Razuhl

If you suspect a specific mod to be the culprit or that it is at least involved then you should check out the steam page of that mod.

In this case you would find that the bug was reported to more faction interaction, identified as an incompatibility with rimcities and fixed about a month ago. In your log it shows that you are using an outdated version, probably the latest release from github, if you update to the steam version(or github-master if you don't wan't to use steam) it should solve your problem.

Vehicular_Zombicide

That must be it- I recently installed Rimcities, used the GitHub version of both mods, and used an outdated version of Rimcities due to a bug in the newest version of that mod. I'll try to update both of those and report back.

Vehicular_Zombicide

Update: It was not it after all. I uninstalled Rimcities and started a new game without it and it still froze in the beginning of Jugust- I was able to replicate the freeze several times down to the exact hour. This was the last item in the output log, with the last two lines being repeated hundreds of times.

Exception in Verse.AI.ThinkNode_Priority TryIssueJobPackage: System.ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: type
at System.Activator.CheckType (System.Type) <0x00095>
at System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.Type,bool) <0x00027>
at System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.Type) <0x0001e>
at Verse.RoomStatDef.get_Worker () <0x00033>
at Verse.Room.UpdateRoomStatsAndRole () <0x001a7>
at Verse.Room.get_Role () <0x00027>
at DubsBadHygiene.HarmonyPatches/Patch_CanWanderToCell.Prefix (Verse.IntVec3&,Verse.Pawn&,bool&) <0x000a5>
at (wrapper dynamic-method) RimWorld.RCellFinder.CanWanderToCell_Patch1 (Verse.IntVec3,Verse.Pawn,Verse.IntVec3,System.Func`4<Verse.Pawn, Verse.IntVec3, Verse.IntVec3, bool>,int,Verse.Danger) <0x0005c>
at RimWorld.RCellFinder.RandomWanderDestFor (Verse.Pawn,Verse.IntVec3,single,System.Func`4<Verse.Pawn, Verse.IntVec3, Verse.IntVec3, bool>,Verse.Danger) <0x00891>
at Verse.AI.JobGiver_Wander.GetExactWanderDest (Verse.Pawn) <0x000ae>
at Verse.AI.JobGiver_Wander.TryGiveJob (Verse.Pawn) <0x0019a>
at Verse.AI.ThinkNode_JobGiver.TryIssueJobPackage (Verse.Pawn,Verse.AI.JobIssueParams) <0x00039>
at Verse.AI.ThinkNode_Priority.TryIssueJobPackage (Verse.Pawn,Verse.AI.JobIssueParams) <0x00130>

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

at < 0

Attached is the output log in its entirety. Since I've ruled out Rimcities, anyone know what else might be causing the problems? I've noticed that the game speed becomes stuck at two or below, a minute or so before the crash on a fairly regular basis.

Canute

Before i look deeper into the log
Malformed (correct format is Major.Minor) version string on mod 4M Mehni's Misc Modifications from Mehni "1.0.0" - parsed as "1.0"
This show me that at last you use an older version of 4M Mehni's Misc Modifications !
Could you please try to update all mod's at the latest version ?
It don't made sense if we look for solution if the problem is maybe allready been fixed.

After you did that, try it again and post a new logfile please.

Vehicular_Zombicide

I'll update what I can and report back with the results, but not all the mods in my modlist have updated versions for Rimworld v1.0.2282- many mods don't have updates available past Rimworld v1.0.2059 or even v1.0.0, especially since by not using the Steam version I don't have access to the Steam workshop and thus rely on versions of mods uploaded to third party websites such as Skymods instead.

Still, I'll update everything that has available updates and see what happens. Is it possible to manually edit each mod to fix the "Malformed (correct format is Major.Minor) version string on mod" error? What exactly does that error mean, codewise?

Canute

Rimworld got a syntax change for mod at the about.xml to identify the supported rimworld versions.
Basicly these msg. arn't bad and you can ignore them. Or manualy edit the about.xml so you don't get these msg. anymore.
But you got a msg. from "4M Mehni's Misc Modifications" mod and i know for sure he got an updated version of this mod. That showed me you use an old version.

Even when you don't use steam (like me too) you allways should look for updates from time to time, special when you encounter problems you allways should try do that.

Vehicular_Zombicide

I re-downloaded the newest versions of all the mods that threw the "malformed version string" error and tried again, but it still crashed. Every time it's crashed, the last item in the output log are these two lines repeated over and over, often for hundreds of iterations. Do you think this might be the issue?

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

at < 0

Sorry I had to compress the file, at 2000+ kb it was too large to upload uncompressed.

Canute

QuoteI re-downloaded the newest versions of all the mods that threw the "malformed version string" error and tried again,
Sorry need to say you didn't do it well.
At last one of the mods got a newer version.
Hint: sometimes the mod author give a non-steam download link at their workshop page.

Some of the error's maybe indicate that you are missing a mod that is required for another. But i am not 100% sure about it.
QuoteCould not find a type named PlaceWorker_InsideStarship
Could not find a type named CompPowerPlantSolarShip....

And again
Quote from: Canute on July 15, 2019, 04:07:35 PM
You got alot of XML and other error's right after Rimworld start.
You should try to eliminate these error with disabling mods, or maybe reset the modlist and rebuild them at small batches so you can notice early if a mod cause trouble after activation.
You won't have much fun when you got error's after rimworld start. When a mod throw out error's it mosttimes don't work correct anyway, so better don't use it.