[Request] Caravan Patrol, Ambush, Early-Warning, Roadblocks

Started by Morbo513, July 17, 2019, 02:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morbo513

Something that's always bugged me about Rimworld is you have no way of anticipating raids, finding which direction they're coming from, or their overall strength/composition.

When giving orders to a caravan, the player has a couple more options.

Patrol
When adjacent to a settlement, the player can tell them to "Patrol", either clockwise or counter. This will, predictably, have them make rounds through the sectors surrounding the settlement. When a raid is generated, if it's not via drop-pod there will be say a 40% chance of the patrol spotting them, modified positively by raid party size and the presence of animals (dogs and predators) in the patrol party; negatively modified by size of patrol (not counting dogs/predators), and terrain (Foliage density [forageablitiy?] and small/large hills).

When a patrol is spotted, the player gets a caravan dialog giving them several options.
Your patrol has spotted a raiding party belonging to <faction> approaching your settlement. It is composed of <number> <enemy type>, <number> <enemy type>

What would you like the patrol to do?

Engage
Trail (Enters settlement behind raiding party after some delay)
Retreat (Enters settlement followed by raiding party after some delay)
Let them pass

Obviously, the more patrol parties you send out the greater chance of intercepting a raid.

Ambush
When set to "Ambush", a caravan will hold its position with reduced food consumption. With similar modifiers as above, it will have a periodical chance of bringig up such a dialog:
A <caravan type> of <number of people> belonging to <faction> has entered your caravan's ambush zone.
They appear to be carrying a <small/medium/large> amount of <type(s) of good(s)>.
They are armed mainly with <neolithic/industrial/glitter> tech.
What would you like to do?

Initiate ambush (Starts combat and turns faction of caravan hostile if not already - players' pawns will start in positions sandwiching enemies)
Reveal yourself and speak to <caravan master> (Increases relations by 2, allows trade, reduces chance of subsequent ambush opportunities within X hexes of current position)
Reveal yourself and demand surrender (If your party is significantly stronger or better-equipped, up to a 40% chance of taking each member of the caravan prisoner, at least one is guaranteed if they accept. Reduces relations with parent faction by up to 60. Greater penalty to ambush chance in same area)
Reveal yourself and demand goods and silver (Reduces relations by up to 40)
Reveal yourself and demand food (Reduces relations by 20)
Remain concealed and let them pass.

As for pod-raids, the player would be able to build a radar. When the raid is generated and it's pod-borne, there's a base 70% chance of detection giving you a similar message to a regular raid, indicating the approximate locations the pods are going to land. It'd give you maybe an extra minute to prepare.

Roadblocks would be hidden enemy outposts on roads. Your caravan has a chance of spotting it, modified positively by the caravan size and some other minor factors, upon which you're given the choice to engage it, approach and pay a toll (depending on relations and faction type, chance of checkpoint refusing and engaging you), engaging or circumventing.
The roadblock its self would be a narrow map, with some basic defences but no proper buildings, occupied by the enemy faction. When spotted by the caravan, the player will start further out if they choose to engage - attempting to pay a toll, or otherwise stumbling into it, will have the player start closer, just within weapon range of the checkpoint.

Rustic Fox

I am a mod creator that creates my own custom mods but also believes in keeping alive older interesting mods.

My Mods: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=50497

Kirby23590

When patrolling or when you have a radar to know what the drop pod raids contains or the patrol spotted the raiding the party...

It would be nice to know how many raiders are there or what types they are. Are they mostly Melee only like Scavenger Thrashers or Mercenary Slashers or do they have a single Mercenary Heavy?

At least this would make me heavily prepare my defenses or get the psychic lance ready for a single heavy merc with a rocket launcher...

I really this was a thing because this ideas you bring and have help a lot...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.