Watchtower

Started by Gyrocopter445, July 17, 2019, 03:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gyrocopter445

If anyone could make a watchtower mod, that would be great. Seriously, doomsday rockets and triple rockets are a real bummer. A watchtower with a decent sniper on top would give the player a better chance at winning against raiders who use rockets. I'm picturing it as something that would increase the range of any pawn that climbs on top of it just a little bit and that said pawn can shoot over a wall. However, to make it fair for raiders, they can shoot the people on top of towers even if they are behind a wall. The wall would then simply offer protection equal to that of a sandbag to pawns on top of the wall. To anyone who would consider doing this, you can claim it as your own idea and tweak it as much as you like. I don't really care. I just want a watchtower so bad.

Limdood

Been suggested for ages.  The answer from the dev is a consistent "no" to this and other z-level-type requests.

I'll admit, the rocket launchers are a real bummer.  They're also MASSIVELY skewed in favor of raiders, who show up once, and whether they live or die has no effect on their faction or the game as a whole, while each death from the largely unavoidable or RNG (whether or not even manually directed focus fire actually downs them before they get their shot off) rocket launchers is devastating and nearly guaranteed.

That being said, I've taken to using a mod that simply removes the doomsday- and triple rocket launchers from the game.  The raiders that would have them are generated with a different weapon.  The raids might even be spawned with additional enemies to cover the "point cost" that might have been applied to rocket launchers.

Jibbles

I imagine you can do this without the use of z-levels to simulate a similar effect & possibly use xml?  You can probably get a pawn to "man" the watchtower. The sniper -with long range- that comes with the building can shoot projectiles that go through walls. I guess this is a type of manned-turret at this point disguised as a building.  I believe the tag was called "flyoverwall" or something like that to make bullets go over walls. I believe it would also give them line of sight when using that gun.  Which would give the impression that the "watchtower" is higher than the walls you build around the base. However, you'll probably get meleed or grenade if walls aren't build around it.  So it may be better to call it something else other than a watchtower if you can't solve that problem.  I'm sure you can go deeper than that, but that was just an example for xml.

If textures were provided, I'm sure it'll have a better chance for other modders to complete the idea.

Limdood

that version has also been suggested countless times.  I think some mods may have made headways in implementing them, and many mods have made manned turrets of other types - but again, these have been being suggested since I started playing the game, back in Alpha 11, and almost certainly before, and no move or hint of them being added has ever been made.

I'd ASSUME that "security" options have been left deliberately sparse in the vanilla game to force your pawns into combat, to add that risk and make loss and deformity a more consistent risk...but that's pure conjecture.  Fact stands that ALL versions of watchtower....one that ACTUALLY rises above other walls, or one that just implies that it does, have gone through countless suggestions. 

It's a neat idea...but it's also an old idea, and the existing threads on the topic have everything that this thread has, and much, much more.

Jibbles

Yeah, I've seen it suggested many times too but not aware of any mods that do it which OP was asking.  Links would be helpful since it would probably give him the results he was looking for.  Wouldn't be surprised for posts like these to inspire players who are new to the game and like to dabble into modding.  The lack of security options is to blame for posts like these as well.