Dessert Outpost Chronicles (In Pictures) :D

Started by Sshodan, July 22, 2019, 02:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sshodan

After some consideration this seams to be the right place for this... Thing I did :D I feel since I did spend a good deal of time on it I may as well show it off somewhere :)
Rimworld is one of thous games where graphics are basic enough and at the same time evocative enough that it just makes me want to visualize it any way I can. And since 3D rendering and modeling is my long time drug of choice when it comes to artistic expression I ended up doing some renders of my colonists, or at least what I thing they may have looked like :)
For thous interested in technical aspect - these are Daz3D renders, with mixed assets - some are by me and some are just arranged by me :)
For people less familiar with the whole thing - think of it as a mix of photography and "character creator" not unlike in MMO, if a bit more technically complected to use :D You put together a character, dress them, pose them, set up light and render, which allows you to produce high quality 3D art in reasonable time. While asset creation takes a loooooong while using it is a matter of few hours :) With all that out of the way on to the actual game story:

I like doing "themed runs" - as in I pick some kind of condition for character generation and re roll the first 10 colonists until they all meet that condition, once one of them fits the bill that's it - no re rolling him for better stats. Than I pick my 3 out of thous 10 and we go. I did a run, for example, where all 10 where related in some way to each other (that is how I found out that the colonists you did not pick still end up on the rim, just in other factions).
This one was a "beauty contest gone wrong" kind of thing - all colonists had to be beautiful, single and under 30 years of age. There has been some very fun rolls there, including a male "action hero" model who could do nothing but socialize and kill people and a psychopathic pimp :D But in the end I had to pick some with skills that will actually allow them to survive...

The idea was to do a dessert run, but I ended up in shrubland instead, so a bit more soil to grow on, but still very high temperatures there where a problem, especially since Sharee had a parka on... So here is the "year one" pic.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Sshodan

Another year one pic, update to include the first recruit - Woody... In addition to being staggeringly ugly, something I found difficult to portrait... I think I barely got to "ugly"despite trying my best. He althou had a  bad back and swiftly developed dementia :D
I only recently noticed that I messed up the in game icons for colonists and while they are portrait wearing the stuff I dressed them in - Sharee got a new top after working topless for a while and Lia - flak armor, the icons do not reflect that... My bad.
I althou tired my best to add some "profession items" to mark who did what... Weapon is my weakest subject, so don't be surprised at the generic rifle... I thing it's a rifle, anyway :D
Although - camel hair t-shirt is not something I ever thought I'd have to picture..

Sshodan

A year and a half cast - and a new addition - Frankie... My first time handling a wimp... It was bad... She spend so much time in the hospital that I was tempted to get rid of her altogether, but eventually I solved the problem with a pain stopper, and she ended up doing most of the research for the whole run.
Frankie showed up in the colony naked and being chased by a creepy guy, I imagine her stay on the Rim was not fun in the slightest.
Although - leather t-shirt... The only top I had that she could wear in a hurry.

Sshodan

At first I was going to do a picture for every new recruit, but I ended not wanting to stop the game for that, make no mistakes these are not fast to set up and even slower to render, especially with more characters. So the next one is year two - everyone is still alive and we got two new people... If I remember correctly Rambo got her other leg torn off, but happily we got an archotech replacement for her - I was considering replacing the leg she had a scar on, but ended up having to do the other one. And it was my fault two - I set up a main order incorrectly so the roof collapsed on her...
My favorite psychopath Rynyk we capture during a raid, I needed somebody to cremate the corpses and well - she fit the colony theme perfectly :D
Rella landed in a crashing pod and was rescued, if I remember correctly, and not a moment to soon - we needed a doctor badly. And yes, I got him some clothing later on, but I took the "info screenshot" of him the moment he joined, so that is what I based the image on.
Although - panther fur pants... Yet another item I never thought I'd have to render :D

Sshodan

And the grand final - as I sad I was not willing to pause the game to do more pics, so here is a near final line up. I it is only missing the last colonist - Darbys wife who had to be rescued at the last minute (quest)... And had asthma... I had to extract some lungs and re purpose them in the final 15 days raids part.
Lu and Rella got married, and funnily enough where the most "chaste" couple I ever had in rimworld - poop Rella barely seen a "got loving" buff despite being married to a Prostitute Idol :D
Rambo and Eric on the other hand where at it like bunnies in the room next door - by than Rambo had two Architech legs and Eric was a transhumanist, and they where both hot... I guess that was a good match :D
Oh, and Hazelnut is Rellas daughter, who, thought some kind of cryosleep mishaps, I assume, was much older than him... And now had a step mom... No wonder she suffered a mental break - I had to knock her out and load up in to a cryocascet as a prisoner.
Sharee found a long lost lover in another faction and stayed true and loyal despite me never setting sight on him.
Oh and Remy had to get used to rejection from Rynyk... He never stopped trying...
Woody got replacement spine, legs, arms and a serum injection to cure his dementia, by the end he was a cybernetic beast :D May have had some organs replaced to - I lost count.
Everyone including two bonded huskies (one of them pregnant) mad it out alive.
This was my first successful colony and a game to remember :)

Sshodan

And to finish it off here is the base layout - not quite final, I added tow bedrooms to the right, some turrets all around and the ship got build as you can guess, but very close to the final version, no major changes.

And the victory screen, or course :)

vzoxz0

A dessert is something you eat. I was disappointed in not seeing a colony shaped like a doughnut or a cake.

Sshodan

Well I guess I'm sorry to disappoint you than...