Pink Screen of Death (PSoD) - tried all known fixes.

Started by PragmaticWisdom, July 23, 2019, 07:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PragmaticWisdom

G'day all, I have encountered the Pink Screen of Death (PSoD for short).

I have scoured the internet for the last 4-5 hours, in absolute vein, trying to repair this known "issue/bug".

Attached is my dxdiag.txt and output_log.txt files as to help with understanding my system and what is going on with it, without having giant walls of text for each file.

I have tried the following;
- Uninstalling RimWorld completely (inclusive of getting rid of all registry values).
- Reinstalling DirectX Run Time Jun 2010 with the known working version for Win 10.
- Running Rim World in compatibility mode outside of steam, specifically with Win 7, and Win 8.1.
- Reinstalling my graphics drivers (AMD 19.7.2 with an XFX Radeon 5700 XT).

I know it's to do with my DirectX9, my partner has an identical system, and she can play it with no issues, so I am not 100% sure what is wrong with my system. Barring a full OS reinstall, I am at a loss as to what to do, this is my last ditch effort in trying to fix this issue without doing the OS reinstall.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Canute

Hi,
Quote- Reinstalling DirectX Run Time Jun 2010 with the known working version for Win 10.
Is this a local version or the webinstalled ? Maybe try the webinstaller to have the latest version.

Quote- Reinstalling my graphics drivers (AMD 19.7.2 with an XFX Radeon 5700 XT).
Check what driver version your partner got, and try to get the same.

Rimworld is working fine, it is driver/directx issue so you don't need to reinstall again.

PragmaticWisdom

Hi,
Quote from: Prag- Reinstalling DirectX Run Time Jun 2010 with the known working version for Win 10.
Quote from: Canute> Is this a local version or the webinstalled ? Maybe try the webinstaller to have the latest version.
I used directx_Jun2010_redist.exe which is found here.
I can personally confirm that the installer works, just my system doesn't want to let me run any DX9 games.

Quote from: Prag- Reinstalling my graphics drivers (AMD 19.7.2 with an XFX Radeon 5700 XT).
Quote from: Canute>Check what driver version your partner got, and try to get the same.
As I stated before, we have matching systems, so she is also running the XFX Radeon 5700XT on the 19.7.2 drivers. She is able to play it without any issue.  This is how I know there is something wrong with my drivers install, just unsure how to rectify it.

Quote from: Canute> Rimworld is working fine, it is driver/directx issue so you don't need to reinstall again.
The reason for thinking of the fresh OS install is everything I have tried to do, has failed in rectifying my issue.

Canute

I found this so maybe you can force Rimworld at DX9 mode.

QuoteYou can use the steps below to force DirectX 9 mode, which might potentially improve stability for you, at the potential cost of image quality and performance issues.

Steam

Go to your Steam Library
    Find Wasteland 2 and right-click it, then select "Properties"
    Under the General Tab, click "Set Launch Options" and a dialog box will appear
    Type in "-force-d3d9" (without the quotes) and click "OK"
    Close the Properties window

GOG

Go to where you installed the game
    Find Rimworld.exe and right-click it, then create a desktop shortcut
    Right-click the new shortcut and select "Properties"
    Inside the "Target" field, add in "-force-d3d9" (without the quotes) at the end, so it looks like, for instance: "C:\Program Files\GOG\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\WL2.exe" -force-d3d9
    Click "OK" and run the game from the shortcut

PragmaticWisdom

Tried both methods to no avail, going to try a complete removal of current drivers and do a fresh install following some steps that I came across. Hoping that works, otherwise I am going to have to do an OS install.

UPDATE: After another 24 hours, I gave up on finding "fixes" for my  problem, and simply went for a fresh reinstall of just my graphics card drivers. This indeed fixed my problem!

What I did was follow the set of instructions on how to do a full fresh reinstall from
https://community.amd.com/thread/180667.

Somewhere along the lines of my the updates for my graphics drivers managed to corrupt themselves and screw with DX12's compatibility for DX9.

I hope this helps someone else if it ever happens to them. I can now play RimWorld again!

Thanks for all of the help Canute! It is greatly appreciated.