466 to 496 save file conversion help?

Started by InfiniteRemnant, July 22, 2014, 03:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InfiniteRemnant

I've been using the same save file since 250, and don't really want to let go of "westcliff". Up until now, been able to come up with edits to the save file, to make it work on the new versions where necessary, but it's got me stumped this time. It won't load, but i'm not sure what to change in the xml to fix it this time.

Help?

Tynan

Since 250? How is that even possible? We didn't even have resource stockpiles back then!

And yeah, sorry but I can't remember the dozens of changes that occurred between these builds... sorry man.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

InfiniteRemnant

Quote from: Tynan on July 22, 2014, 10:38:23 AM
Since 250? How is that even possible?

for the most part, cutting and pasting blocks of code from a newly created colony into the old one, to overwrite the stuff that no longer works. A few times all it would let me keep were the terrain, pawns, and the walls, (though 466 decided to convert all of my walls into unsellable ones somehow, so renovations were a pain in the ass for a while...)  the rest has to be subbed out. it doesn't always work smoothly. at least once I've wound up with completely borked roofs that crushed a few people before i could fix them. as for the stockpile thing, i got around it by just deleting the old 'structure' style stockpile and it's inventory, and editing in some scattered items from the new save i was using as a template. Had to demolish and redesign the store room it was in though.

EDIT: Oh, and if anyone else wants to try this, EVERYBODY has to be idle when you save. go into the overview and turn everything off. Trust me. It will save you headaches.

Sion

Could you use a program to compare the 2 files and only show what is different between them?
maybe you can draw some conclusions from that?

Some suggestions:
(maybe) regular expressions (regex) (if you are a programmer)? info about regex's
subversion, git, github,  and other version handling systems?
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

InfiniteRemnant

worth a shot. I'll give it a look after work.

Haplo

A good program to compare files is WinMerge (free) and my favorite BeyondCompare (not free).