Sky-high expectations

Started by BladeOfSharpness, July 25, 2019, 10:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzoxz0

Think the main rule of thumb is to have a spectacular eating-and-dining-area. If you are concerned about "value" just attack and "don't touch this" the beautiful art you place.

Shurp

Quote from: Limdood on July 30, 2019, 01:51:03 PM
....and if after eating, they go to the lab or workshop, that mood will hang around most of the day.

I think this is worth repeating -- if you keep wherever your pawns hang out most of the day looking good, their mood will reflect it.  Sprucing up the bedrooms is nice but it's much more important to keep your lab/workshop clean and tidy.  A -10 ugly environment penalty will undo much of the good you're getting from anything else.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

FleshEater

So I've added some art (as advised) to my dining/rec room and my workshop and, yes, I am now an art convert. 

I get at least +6 "pretty" stats, mostly +10 "beautiful"  and sometimes +15 "gorgeous" for my pawns, all from about 8 bits of excellent art put around the place.  It's also upgraded my dining/rec to unbelievably impressive.

Limdood

yeah, the only annoying part of art is constantly deconstructing until you get excellent pieces.

I've used art in my hospital (pawns in there are often sick (-5) and in pain (-10 to -20) and the art wonderfully offsets that...as sick pawns are often the ones you can't afford to have sad wander

I've also used them in my prison....I tend to release bad pawns, and keep good ones around even if they're 99 resistance and 99% difficulty.  I also imprison addicted pawns until their addiction wears off, and the permanent +15 mood is HUGE for preventing berserks that might result in accidentally killed useful colonists.  YMMV on prison art though.

Pangaea

Quote from: Limdood on July 31, 2019, 04:45:45 PM
yeah, the only annoying part of art is constantly deconstructing until you get excellent pieces.

Huh? Why do that? Just put them somewhere or sell them.

Or put them around the base. With luck raiders will get confused, ogle at the art, and leave happy and content.

Maybe.

B@R5uk

Excellent and masterpiece quality sculptures have best beauty/price ratio (2.00) so these pieces to be placed and everything else to be sold. Well, with not so skilled sculptor some compromise is necessary.

Also, it's more advantageous to sell pieces and not to deconstruct them, as there is x1.10 extra price multiplier for them no any other item has. Even if resources are scarce buying them for sold sculptures will be much more profitable then deconstructing the latter for the former. The only exception is awful quality pieces which have x0.50 quality price multiplier.

Limdood

deconstructing reduces the wealth immediately.  If i have a dedicated artist, I could be sitting on quite a few normal - good quality sculptures before a trader comes along, and then I need to hope they have sufficient silver/goods to cover everything that I've accumulated.

Deconstructing immediately removes the art piece and wastes 25% of the materials (I don't make things like silver or gold or jade statues) - effectively undoing the craft and wasting your artist's time, but at the same time I won't have a dozen unused sculptures littering the stockpile.

Vlad0mi3r

Embrace it.

Once they are at sky high expectations it wont get any worse. So just make sure everything is looking good. Wall off areas where unattractive stuff goes, Chunks/Corpses.

Recrooms need to be flash as well as dining rooms. For crafting areas a good Large sculpture covers off a lot of stuff lying around on the floor.

Fine meals also help as well as keeping people out of shabby clothes by adjusting your clothing/outfit options.

If you play an unmodded game then statues here and there help keep beauty up. If you play a modded game there are lots of options.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503