How can you play Rimworld over and over again?

Started by TomTaylor99, August 01, 2019, 02:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

In my latest game I'm trying something a bit different -- *reducing* the difficulty so I have more opportunity to make bad choices that might make the game more entertaining.  For example, recruiting every pawn I can, including the blind Alzheimer's afflicted psychite addict.  I'll let you know how it works out.

But yes, like the OP I do have a habit of losing interest in the midgame once my base is solidly built and my pawns are gradually losing bits due to attrition.  I'm hoping a different playstyle where I'm less attached to my pawns and happy to see them killed off works better.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Pangaea

That does sound intriguing. Let us know how you get on :)

Since I start to lose interest in the mid to late game with the base "done" and just the incessant mech attacks left, I tend to start dreaming about changing everybody to bionic super-fighters. But never get there because it takes a long time to make new bionics (+advanced components), so I just replace lost limbs instead. Maybe one day?

Canute

Or maybe Try out Rim of Magic and play without Bionics.
Replace all limbs and other with regrown parts (they are 25% efficient after some time).

For some challenge try out the Wave Survival Mode.

That's why i prefered to play with smaller modlist, but different mod themes. Instead to put them all together.

Skynert

I like late game, I have mod for children so now my goal is i to survive as long as I can. And research all the tech possible, and oh my gkd, i have 300+- mods sooo it is much tech.

Frogoverlord

I had a save file of about 400 hours I belive but it won´t load anymore due to conflicting mods, IMO Rimworld´s endgame is when the fun really starts, you can begin this huge projects or crazy ideas, I guess it depends on playstyles

Bozobub

In my case, mods help a bit but, since I intentionally don't change a lot of content, not terribly much.  The REAL secret for me is...*drum roll*...doing other stuff, while RW runs.  I read, watch video, smoke weed...*BING* :Oops, an alert: *fix, fix, fix*...read some more, etc, with periods of full attention during raids and such.  In other words, I treat RW as an ant farm filled with sentient, utterly psychotic ants.

Of note, this really helps with late-game lag, since I don't stare at it all the time, so it doesn't annoy me much ;D.
Thanks, belgord!

tsmt1001

I try to play in different biomes and different landscapes, using different mods. My latest colony is in a swamp. My next one will be in either poison forest or wasteland, haven't decided which one yet. I also play on lower difficulty and focus on pawn relationships, encouraging relationships, accepting and recruiting everyone I can, etc. I've also tried setting a goal to take out all pirate bases. I don't necessarily complete the game. I get it to the point when population is so large that the game starts to lag. To me it's a sign to start new colony.

ProfZelonka

I've been wanting to eliminate all the factions on the planet once I get to late game, problem is I've yet to get there because by the time I get to late game there's other mods I want in the game and/or bugs that bother me too much. lol

Another goal in late game for me is to build a SECOND giant base while my first is practically self-managed. Story wise I could have certain people go that don't get along with the others, or maybe Android tiers only.

The main issue I run into is that the game slows down with too many pawns and stuff, so it's frustrating I can't get to fulfilling those huge goals.

DreamHollow

Quote from: TomTaylor99 on August 01, 2019, 02:47:04 PM
First of all, I really like Rimworld, especially with mods. I have over 1000 hours in Rimworld, but now, after I saved my last colony with the space ship, I'm done with it. I mean, don't you look at your late game colony and think: My colony survived a real long time, but it's getting bored. Because you have no goal to achieve.

My question is, what goals do you have in Rimworld? After you built a stable base, tons of food and ressources and colonists with bionic arms and legs? I know, mods keep the game more interesting, but for me, when I reach late game, I always get to this f****** point, where I have no goals to achieve.

What goals do you have in the late game? After you have literally everything?

In my experience, if you need more challenge you have to force yourself to play on biomes that are extremely difficult.

I have started a number of games with "rich explorer" to see how far I can last on ice sheets. I imagine with the right mods, you can make it into a much longer lasting but challenging personal quest.

Snowpig

I tried to play with three urbworld sex slaves, all incapable of violent. Did not make it until day 4 or so.

Canute

They all got reslaved by their masters !
Unless some mod give them some "Pacify by love" special ability, so each sex slave can pacify one attack and both go to their double bed, and the raider is neutral afterwards and leave the map, there is no big chance that such a colony will survive ! :-)

Snowpig

ProfZelonka

Quote from: Canute on November 12, 2019, 09:11:00 AM
They all got reslaved by their masters !
Unless some mod give them some "Pacify by love" special ability, so each sex slave can pacify one attack and both go to their double bed, and the raider is neutral afterwards and leave the map, there is no big chance that such a colony will survive ! :-)
"Whore house" mod. I can see it now. Next up, arranged faction marriages, and laws.

tsmt1001

Quote from: DreamHollow on November 11, 2019, 09:51:53 PM
Quote from: TomTaylor99 on August 01, 2019, 02:47:04 PM
First of all, I really like Rimworld, especially with mods. I have over 1000 hours in Rimworld, but now, after I saved my last colony with the space ship, I'm done with it. I mean, don't you look at your late game colony and think: My colony survived a real long time, but it's getting bored. Because you have no goal to achieve.

My question is, what goals do you have in Rimworld? After you built a stable base, tons of food and ressources and colonists with bionic arms and legs? I know, mods keep the game more interesting, but for me, when I reach late game, I always get to this f****** point, where I have no goals to achieve.

What goals do you have in the late game? After you have literally everything?

In my experience, if you need more challenge you have to force yourself to play on biomes that are extremely difficult.

I have started a number of games with "rich explorer" to see how far I can last on ice sheets. I imagine with the right mods, you can make it into a much longer lasting but challenging personal quest.

It's been my experience too that the game slows down when you have a lot of pawns.