[TOOL] RimPy Mod Manager with auto mod sorting (Windows/Linux)

Started by Penchekrak, August 08, 2019, 07:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penchekrak

New version released (download link updated):
- added error logging (hope so)
- unified Windows GUI (more eyecandy for Win10)
- version control (you will receive notification on new versions)
- copy to clipboard function (easier to share your mod lists)
- mod lists save/load functions
- mods colors
- errors fixes

Bad news:
Since not many people downloaded Linux version (less than 10), Linux version is suspended. Current version works on linux, but take much more time to build. If you need Linux version, ask for it in Feature requests thread.

Penchekrak

Mods pack creation and installation

The idea is to make steam workshop collections more user-friendly - easier to install, use, delete. RimPy tries to do that. Now you can create a mod (that contains all needed configs and settings) and add it to your steam workshop collection. Rimpy scans your active modsconfig.xml file for active mods, looks for needed configuration files and packs them in new mod (that you should upload to steam workshop and add to your mod collection)

User clicks subscribe to all, runs RimPy press install mods pack and runs the game with your mod pack. Mod pack installation is done in new folder created in RimPy Mod Manager settings folder and runs the game with "-savedatafolder=" key. So original users config files are untouched.

How to create:
1. Run RimPy and setup game folder, configs folder, steam mods folder, local mods folder.
2. Move needed mods to active list and press Save
3. Press Pack configs and choose or create new folder where mod content will be stored.
4. Press Ok.
5. Upload newly created mod on steam workshop and create new collection with mods from (2) and newly created mod.

Installation:
1. Open steam workshop mods collection and press subscribe to all.
2. Wait till all mods downloaded
3. Run RimPy and setup game folder, configs folder, steam mods folder, local mods folder.
4. Go to Mod packs tab.
5. Choose mod pack, choose "Mod list + pack configs" and press Install.
6. On Mod packs tab press Run pack.

Demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml4l96ybrHA

asquirrel

Tried downloading it in firefox and with chrome.  The download never begins even after I click download.  Stuck at "waiting for drive.google.com."

Canute

Work's at my side (Firefox).
Noodle warn my about some problems and couldn't do a virusscan for that file, but the download works after that.
And work's fine when i add the link into a download tool (jdownloader).

asquirrel

Hey Canute! Good to see you are still posting on the forums.  I think it might have been something on my end because eventually I was able to download. :)

Penchekrak

Update:
- simple mods update log (checks dates of mod folders modifications only. no info about deleted mods)
- upper block with pathes is now collapsable (drag and drop horizontal spacer between blocks to collapse/expand)
- fix for "url not open issue"
- db update (>100 added)
Let me know if you crash or find issues. Use Steam for faster support.

P. S.
asquirrel, looks like there is a problem with Google Drive, had to wait like minute before downloading started.

Chaos17

Hello,

Thank you for this tool, it's really useful.
I don't know if this will help you but here's a conflict report mainly because they're not in the right order (I think).
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IKyi_c686Bk05lbJq6XmhXTFGSlYTUfj

Penchekrak

@Chaos17, thank you for a feedback. The main goal of this program - help players to work with mods faster. Idea: you, as player, sort mods automatically, then check for issues, read mod descriptions, create rules till you get no errors and share your rules database with other players. You throw a list of more than 300 mods and expect from me to fix it, that is totally wrong. You should fix it yourself, than share your created rules with others. Others will do the same.

P. S. There are more than 1 million copies sold, there are more than 7000 mods released. I do not have time for this. But if every user will do the job for own mod pack and share with others, that will work. Btw, there are mods that are incompatible with each other and issues could not be solved with mod order at all. So I recommend you to shrink your mod pack from 300 to 100 mods, fix all issues with that amount then start adding other mods (read mod thread and check steam workshop for mod order) one by one, or 5-10. That will make it easier.

ProfZelonka

The problem with shrinking down the amount of mods and testing, then adding more and testing, means that the 1 million players will be testers, not players of the game. I also want an easy solution but there isn't one. If you can elaborate on why your mod is the best solution to the problem, in comparison to the alternative mod called "RWMS", it would give reason for people to try and contribute.

Penchekrak

That is it, to play Rimworld with mods you have to be a tester. Since there is no simple solution in mod ordering in this game. One mod can change things in many different ways, other mod can do that too. That is why there is no easy solution to find mod conflicts, only testing.

I don't sell anything to you and I do not want to compete with shakeyourbunny (RWMS author) in that manner - "why your mod is the best solution".

RimPy scans Steam Workshop pages to get info about dependencies, also scans Manifest.xml files that some modders include in their mods to sort mods. Both of this sources may be faulty (because of issue above, modders unable to test their mods with all other mods; sometimes they do not mention dependencies on Workshop too). Also users can create their custom dependencies. For more information - read description on Steam Workshop. Some day custom rules sharing will be added. Then quality of mod sorting will mostly depend on user reports. Since I do not have time to check all the reports and test all of them. I know some bad code flows in RimPy that can break the idea, because people may start to send wrong reports. And that is a problem.

As far as I know RWMS is based on custom database, that is built by Shakeyourbunny. Players send him reports and he sorts mod manually. I do not know how he do that, but that is really hard work (he probably, have to manually check issues for you). That is what you call "easy way" for you, but hard way for him. Just imagine you have to sort mods for others, for free. Like 3000 or smth. And some person comes in the thread and starts to demand something from you... That is why I do not want to hear something like "what is best tool". I know how hard and time consuming is it. We both do job, but in different ways.

P. S. Programming is my hobby and spending hours on sorting mods (that I do not even play)  for others, not what I want to do. So I recommend you to try both and use what you like more or what gives better results in your particular situation. Respect others people work and remember that you take tools for free, nobody here don't owe you anything. That is a hobby.

Chaos17

@Penchekrak
Hi, I didn't meant that way, I just didn't understand about the true intention behind your sorting program. I am sorry.
I like your tool because I use it as a mod manager outside of the game which is really more quicker for sorting out mods.

So thank you for your hard work  :)

cjayr369 | KagoMakoto

What about those who use Non-Steam? cuz I'm also one of those individuals.

Canute

Penchekrak

I include updated version of database in program itself on every update. You may:
1. Download RimPy and use it with built in database.
2. You can use third-party sites like http://steamworkshop.download/ to download db and put in RimPy settings folder. RimPy checks for database in steamworkshop folder, then in RimPy settings folder and the last in RimPy itself.

Canute

Not sure if i miss something.
But the program didn't even start.
The mouse pointer change into waiting for a few sec. and then back to normal and nothings start, no entry at the task manager.
The download archive only contain the .exe.