Mountain base temperature

Started by Pangaea, August 09, 2019, 03:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limdood

Yeah as far as heating, i tend to have an "intake room" - really a large hall with pillars and sandbags so my pawns can make their stand at the obvious entrance....everything else is connected to that large room, or connected to the rooms connected to it, etc. 

If i open up new entrances and exits to the base, they are kept usually double or triple doored, while the main entrance is double-doored but held open.  Then i go nuts with heating or air on that main intake room with heaters or AC, while ignoring other rooms (i use freezers, from a mod, rather than have a giant freezing temp room with all my food on the floor...but even when i have a frozen butcher room, i just vent it to a different room and then use vents to dilute the overly hot room)  Generally the intake room gets within about 5-8 degrees (Fahrenheit) of the target temp, and the rest of the interior rooms slowly bleed to match....when a heat wave or cold snap pushes the temp even further away from the target, the interior rooms still stay quite livable (occasionally "uncomfortable" during a weather event, but never dangerous)

Pangaea

Cheers. Have noticed that there is a great deal of "bleed" if there is even a smidgeon of "thin roof" somewhere. The interior is pretty big now, and I only use two heaters. Even during a cold snap, this was fine, it stayed at 20-21C. But the will-be-freezer room has one wall tile with thin roof, and it sunk to ~0C basically instantly. Presumably the same will happen during summer, meaning a lot more heat will have to be dealt with (from AC) into the main room/hallway system. Hope the plan will still work, but it might not.

I have huge problems with the Savage difficulty, though  >:( :'( A horde of scythers tore us apart, and a horde of raiders did much the same. One more person died, and we're missing quite a few body parts. We get overwhelmed in combat, and can't properly recover in between, both in terms of bodily health and base infrastructure. If we can't survive the battles, this mountain base plan won't come to fruition either.

Seems like the only solution, at least on Cassandra, is some type of killbox :sad:

Both mini-turrets, that we acquired from a quest, got blown up, which feels like a big loss since we can't make new ones. Recently I built some walls among the sandbags to try to withstand more firepower, but I don't think it was a good idea to be honest. Cover is better, true, but it so easily prevents pawns from firing due to the changing angles during combat. The simple solution with a row of sandbags is easier in that regard, although cover isn't as solid.

Am currently trying to improve matters up the river by building walls on bridges, as the traps is nowhere near enough. Hopefully a more hall-way approach can make it easier for us. Although sappers and frag grenaders breaking through the wall in the north-east or south has been a problem too.

B@R5uk

Quote from: Pangaea on August 15, 2019, 12:51:55 AMHave noticed that there is a great deal of "bleed" if there is even a smidgeon of "thin roof" somewhere...
No. This bleed is due to bordering with undiscovered cells. Every undiscovered cell woks as if it's "outside" cell, even if it sure is mountain. So your freezer tecnically has half the perimeter of one-layer walls bodering with outside. Hence drop in temperature.

Look at one of my sreenshots above, namely "Mountain base - size 2.jpg". There is freezer in the top right corner and it has bowel-like tunel circling it around. The purpose of this bowel is to make top wall of freezer two-layers wide, while there is stable temperature on other side of wall. This is what I call temperature isolation: corridors and tunels with stable temperature circle around all the rooms in the base.

Canute

Sometimes it is hand to have some pocket outdoor cove's at the mountain.
You can use it as safe outdoor area to push heat outside like from coolers.
Or you can dig at the map border then the connected cave become outdoor.
This is handy too sometimes caravans (special with the use of trading spot) can use it to exit the map.

Pangaea

Quote from: B@R5uk on August 15, 2019, 01:53:13 AM
Quote from: Pangaea on August 15, 2019, 12:51:55 AMHave noticed that there is a great deal of "bleed" if there is even a smidgeon of "thin roof" somewhere...
No. This bleed is due to bordering with undiscovered cells. Every undiscovered cell woks as if it's "outside" cell, even if it sure is mountain. So your freezer tecnically has half the perimeter of one-layer walls bodering with outside. Hence drop in temperature.

Look at one of my sreenshots above, namely "Mountain base - size 2.jpg". There is freezer in the top right corner and it has bowel-like tunel circling it around. The purpose of this bowel is to make top wall of freezer two-layers wide, while there is stable temperature on other side of wall. This is what I call temperature isolation: corridors and tunels with stable temperature circle around all the rooms in the base.

Interesting. Had no idea it worked like that. Seems an odd implementation, so well done for figuring that out. Would have been better to have the freezer more centrally in the base then, so I could have put corridors around the whole thing to prevent this bleeding. After having installed more AC and turned them on, it hasn't been as big an issue, though. Thankfully. During a heatwave with the outside at around 55C, the freezer still kept -6 (while the initial outside one became 10C). The inside of the base got warmer, to 25-26C, but that is quite fine. Overall it is surprisingly efficient. 2 coolers on the freezer, 3 from the base to the outside, and 2-3 heaters in the main base. Much less than I'm used to from "normal" bases.

In the next base, I'll try to put the freezer in a more fitting spot, so there won't be this odd bleeding. All this mining business is much slower than I expected. 2 years in, and we're far from done.

Thankfully the extended trap maze is working better than before. 9 scythers attacked, and only 3 made it through. Briefly after, with only 5 people left at base (incapacitated prisoner quest), 14 buggers attacked. 5-6 of them died in the maze, despite most traps being gone due to the scythers, and we managed to deal with the rest with some repositioning. Actually killed all as they had to bash through 3 granite doors to get out on the south side. Without the traps, the base would be burning down right about now.

(one dead on traps further away)

It feels a bit cheesy, but without it we'd be dead pretty darn quickly, so it probably isn't terribly cheesy to be honest.

Pangaea

This is the map edge, and there is steel beyond it. How does that work exactly? I don't think we're able to place anything beyond it, be it a chair, a wall, or whatever. So what happens if I mine in there? Is it actually possible to mine all the way to the map edge? Would that enable enemies to flow in?

Canute

The ledger is only for placing. Stockpile/Growing  can reach a bit further.
But you can mine anything.
You can create a map exit (and entry) at this way.

Limdood

OK, so the issue with resources in a mountain beyond the reach of construction placement is that you can mine that out, but whatever happens beyond that - be it a gigantic opening that opens up that entire side of the map, a small thin-roof section, or just a new mountain area that might spawn infestations that you can't "fill in" - you're stuck with it.  Sure you can place walls at the limit of your item placement, but if you accidentally open up a new map edge that enemies can spawn in, those walls won't last long...same with a bug infestation, and a new thin roof section means more temp bleed, if that's a thing you have trouble with.

Pangaea

Going back to this instead of starting a new topic. But first, I don't think it's possible to put stockpiles or grow zones beyond the "10 tiles from the map edge" either. We can't even smooth the walls beyond that cutoff line. Mining works though, so technically it's possible to mine a way to the map edge, or open up a cavern that you can't fill back in.

I'm on a new mountain base map, using the Adaptive Cassie storyteller. It's so frustrating to spend two years to dig into the mountain, and then learn that there are holes or (large) patches of thin roof -- meaning mechs and other baddies can dump right on top of you. Kinda the point about mountain bases is to prevent that.

Don't want to start over here so just have to cross my fingers that it's not too bad, and I was lucky with the outlines of the freezer (a few tiles aside). The planned next room north of the kitchen-butcher is obviously a bad spot too, though.

Although I really dislike it aesthetically, for now I've filled out with wooden walls. However, if I were to go down that route, is it actually possible to fix this with dev mode for instance? Make the mountain thicker somehow, turning the thin roof to overhead mountain?

B@R5uk

Finally! Step three base layout complete! Colonists have moved from narrow Khrushchyovka flats to make home of new spacious apartments. There is not much furniture yet and research/medical room's still in process, but everything's on track. And look at that giant freezer!!! It takes days for it to cool down! The same goes for it to heat up. That means corpses and meat are save in it even during flares.